It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Desantis be Voted out Due to his Disney Gamble?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:10 AM
link   
www.vanityfair.com...

I normally don't get my news from VF but this headline was too much to pass up.

DISNEY’S SPECIAL DISTRICT TELLS RON DESANTIS TO COUGH UP $1 BILLION OR STFU

That means the counties of Orange and Osceola would be required to pay for services like firefighting, which Disney currently covers, and would be on the hook for Reedy Creek’s roughly $1 billion in outstanding bond debt. In other words, DeSantis’s act of revenge would not only punish a private company for condemning his anti-LGBTQ+ law, it would likely punish Florida residents too, whose property taxes would go through the roof. Which is a pretty wild thing for a governor to do, particularly one from a party that talks a big game about “cutting taxes” and “free speech.” But all of this might be moot anyway, because Disney apparently knows Florida’s laws better than DeSantis and has said that actually, he can’t do jack unless he pays off Reedy Creek’s debts first, and until then, it’ll be business as usual in Mouse Town.

“Orange County is going to be stuck with $164 million or more per year in expenses with no revenue.

To put some perspective to the story let's learn about Orange County. It is very poor. Over 75% of students in Orange county qualify for free or reduced lunches. Those free lunch numbers are a good litmus test to the poorness of an area, and Orange country is poor.

We are hearing about Desantis, and we are hearing about Disney, but just like everything else, in the end the people that are going to be
impacted are those poor people that live in Orange and Osceola county. Desantis says that he has a plan, however nobody has heard it yet.
It doesn't matter what you think of Disney, they have been paying for keeping that place running for a long time. My guess is that they also have a much stronger legal force than Desantis. From what i'm hearing, a lot of people are ready to vote him out. It's not just Democrats either, i've seen a lot of Republicans think this is very bone headed.

I know Desantis has big Presidental dreams and this might put out the flames. The timing is so interesting to the point I wonder if there are other entities involved... Let's face it, Desantis isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe he was persueded to persue this Disney thing, all the while people knew exactly what would happen. Perhaps it's team Trump trying to weaken the competition? Maybe it was the Democrats trying to fracture any hopefuls?

+27 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

An honest question;

Why is it the role of government to help poor people?

Why do we always run to government if we're in trouble?

Why can't people be held accountable for themselves?

What happened to personal responsibility?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   
NO

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

An honest question;

Fair question.
On the same line, should the government be able to hurt people?

If the governments action can dramatically increase taxes in a way that was never intended, is that acceptable?

Just a scenario, if your taxes went up 20%, should we just shrug and say, why should the government help poor people?
Sucks to be you? That is the estimated amount of a tax hike that might play out.
edit on 29-4-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: DBCowboy

An honest question;

Fair question.
On the same line, should the government be able to hurt people?

If the governments action can dramatically increase taxes in a way that was never intended, is that acceptable?

No.

That's sorta why we had that little dust-up called a revolution a few years back.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

An honest question;

Empathy and leadership, but that's just a guess.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

An honest question;

You're ignoring my point.

I'm not talking about empathy and caring and leadership FROM government, I'm asking why PEOPLE expect government to care for them.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It seems sad to me that this magical world which rakes in huge piles of cash, is located in the poorest area. I'm not saying its Disney's job to elevate peoples lives, but wouldn't most of Disney workers live in these areas? If so, how bad is their wages?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Desantis isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Have you seen the shed? Heck more than half the people in the shed need a biologist to tell them what is the difference between a male and a female.

Desantis has an IQ of 1000 compared to the rest of them.

Coming from Florida don't Biden my Desantis

Oh Yeah Fk Disney . They shouldn't get any special treatment because they like a kid sniffer and are pushing sexual agendas on young kids.

edit on 34430America/ChicagoFri, 29 Apr 2022 10:34:03 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
As of the most recent poll, he still had a 60% approval rating. Obviously that will drop when the ramifications of the Disney decision hit. But I don't even lnow if the full effects of that will be felt before November.

Unless something drastic happens, I don't see DeSantis losing reelection. Then when he runs for President he can campaign on putting Disney in their place and not have to worry about hidde it negatively affects his constituents.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:35 AM
link   

An honest question;

I'm not talking about empathy and caring and leadership FROM government, I'm asking why PEOPLE expect government to care for them.

I think I answered your point very succinctly but whatever. Let's try again.

PEOPLE expect the government to "care for them" because the same reasons 9000 people expected the government to rescue them from Afghanistan. That's a responsibility you continue to harp on about (for good reason) but citizens within our borders are undeserving and should sink or swim by their own means? Fascinating.

edit on 29-4-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

If so, how bad is their wages?

When I lived in Florida I was a season pass holder. One day it was blazing hot, like 97degree, full humidity.
I saw a character in a fur suit hopping around. I wondered how much did that person make.
I was shocked when I looked it up. It was $11 an hour (that was in 2009ish) I can't imagine it is much more now.

Oddly, a lot of people love working there, there are some good benefits and a lot of workers were satisfied during the pandemic in how they were treated by Disney.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

floridapolitics.com...

A survey from Echelon Insights of 377 Republican registered voters, a subset of a larger poll of 1,001 registered voters, showed that in a head-to-head battle with Trump, DeSantis would command over one-third of the vote.

That is what I'm wondering about. All of these moves are very calculated for any presidental hopeful.
Sometimes they pan out sometimes not.

+22 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hello all,

I live in Orange County, Fl. We pay our property taxes ourselves. This is not a poor county. My son, who is a firefighter in Orange County is not paid by Disney. We admire Ronnie D and his practical no nonsense approach to governing. The article quoted needs to be fact checked.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.vanityfair.com...

I normally don't get my news from VF but this headline was too much to pass up.

DISNEY’S SPECIAL DISTRICT TELLS RON DESANTIS TO COUGH UP $1 BILLION OR STFU

That means the counties of Orange and Osceola would be required to pay for services like firefighting, which Disney currently covers, and would be on the hook for Reedy Creek’s roughly $1 billion in outstanding bond debt. In other words, DeSantis’s act of revenge would not only punish a private company for condemning his anti-LGBTQ+ law, it would likely punish Florida residents too, whose property taxes would go through the roof. Which is a pretty wild thing for a governor to do, particularly one from a party that talks a big game about “cutting taxes” and “free speech.” But all of this might be moot anyway, because Disney apparently knows Florida’s laws better than DeSantis and has said that actually, he can’t do jack unless he pays off Reedy Creek’s debts first, and until then, it’ll be business as usual in Mouse Town.

“Orange County is going to be stuck with $164 million or more per year in expenses with no revenue.

To put some perspective to the story let's learn about Orange County. It is very poor. Over 75% of students in Orange county qualify for free or reduced lunches. Those free lunch numbers are a good litmus test to the poorness of an area, and Orange country is poor.

We are hearing about Desantis, and we are hearing about Disney, but just like everything else, in the end the people that are going to be
impacted are those poor people that live in Orange and Osceola county. Desantis says that he has a plan, however nobody has heard it yet.
It doesn't matter what you think of Disney, they have been paying for keeping that place running for a long time. My guess is that they also have a much stronger legal force than Desantis. From what i'm hearing, a lot of people are ready to vote him out. It's not just Democrats either, i've seen a lot of Republicans think this is very bone headed.

I know Desantis has big Presidental dreams and this might put out the flames. The timing is so interesting to the point I wonder if there are other entities involved... Let's face it, Desantis isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe he was persueded to persue this Disney thing, all the while people knew exactly what would happen. Perhaps it's team Trump trying to weaken the competition? Maybe it was the Democrats trying to fracture any hopefuls?

so reedy creek is in arrears and will default?

aren't they worried about the taxman cometh-ing?

tax man will take his pound of mouse flesh and sell it off.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: KathyHapney
Hello all,

I live in Orange County, Fl. We pay our property taxes ourselves. This is not a poor county. My son, who is a firefighter in Orange County is not paid by Disney. We admire Ronnie D and his practical no nonsense approach to governing. The article quoted needs to be fact checked.

Here is Data from the government, from your own county, and your own schools. Do you think they are misquoting.
Orange county is a poor county.

That is fantastic that you pay for your own property taxes, if/when they go up 20%+ I'll be curious how you feel about Desantis.

www.census.gov... (2021)

Persons in poverty, percent 12.7%

datausa.io...

Is Orange County Florida poor?
Poverty by Age and Gender

14.9% of the population for whom poverty status is determined in Orange County, FL (195k out of 1.32M people) live below the poverty line, a number that is higher than the national average of 12.3%.

www.ocps.net...
datausa.io...

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:49 AM
link   

An honest question;

PEOPLE expect the government to "care for them" because the same reasons 9000 people expected the government to rescue them from Afghanistan. That's a responsibility you continue to harp on about (for good reason) but citizens within our borders are undeserving and should sink or swim by their own means? Fascinating.

So you equate deliberately abandoning 9000 Americans to people being poor and wanting government bailouts?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:49 AM
link   
FAKE NEWS!!! Vanityfair cites CNN. 🤡🌎

But really, I have friends and family in those counties... they love DeSantis. They know it's all on Disney and their woke BS.

At this point, the only way to beat DeSanti in an election would be to Dominion rig it.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   

An honest question;

So you equate deliberately abandoning 9000 Americans to people being poor and wanting government bailouts?

And you equate national poverty, starvation, disease and crime with mental illness and depravity in the lower class society? Those who don't earn or contribute deserve to suffer and perish?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

An honest question;

And you equate national poverty, starvation, disease and crime with mental illness and depravity in the lower class society? Those who don't earn or contribute deserve to suffer and perish?

If you’re going to put words in my mouth at least do me the favor of logging in as me.

I’ll pm you my password

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join