It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Desantis be Voted out Due to his Disney Gamble?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Those sources are the same ones pushing the fear mongering and pushing the Oligarch agendas.

They are the same ones that reported the winter of death and hid and pushed for forced vaccines via coercion. Same ones that lied that the vacine would prevent you from getting the virus then later that they would reduce the spread of the virus then later to it would reduce the symptoms of the visurs. Same ones that told you that mask dont work but now they work , etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Here is more info. The article breaks it down even more, none of it would be good for the state. Here are a few snippets.

Disney, however, noticed, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District quietly sent a note to its investors to show that it was confident the Legislature’s attempt to dissolve the special taxing district operating the 39-square mile parcel it owned in two counties violated the “pledge” the state made when it enacted the district in 1967, and therefore was not legal.

“They could try to argue that this pledge was invalid, that they could not contract it away,” Schumer said. “I don’t think that would work. But states usually aren’t in the business of arguing that their own promises are bad.”
The state could also pass a different law that acknowledges Disney’s right to the bonds and then take the assets using its eminent domain powers and pay off the bondholders using those assets, he said.

But that poses another problem for the state, Randolph said.

By giving Disney a year to resolve this, the company could shed its assets by giving its power plant and its water utility to Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. Without those assets, Disney reduces its tax bill when the state dissolves Reedy Creek, he said.

“Disney has more power now to determine its tax bill than it did a week ago,” he said. “That’s what’s crazy to me. They want to punish Disney, but this is the furthest thing from that. You literally put them in the driver’s seat of how much they want to pay.”

Tampa Bay Times

Whether they did this for theater, or just missed it in the agreement, I don't know. I also read somewhere else that when all said and done this wouldn't be cleared up and paid until 2029.

Calling it an "article" is very generous. Its an opinion piece. I don't have enough information to refute or confirm anything stated in it, but am absolutely certain that they cherry picked details, omitted what didn't support their position against the governor, and use hyperbole and embellishment to make things appear worse. Everything in the language chosen supports my opinion.

Thus, what the article contains is of no value, other than to be aware of the pushback against DeSanits.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

DeSantis has already stated he will stay governor and will not run in 2024. He will run in 2028 I am sure.

We'll see. It's not that far away.
Republicans are telling him to wait his turn especially if Trump runs (we'll see on that too).

What will be extra interesting if they both run!

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

An honest question;

Why is it the role of government to help poor people?

Why do we always run to government if we're in trouble?

Why can't people be held accountable for themselves?

What happened to personal responsibility?

More questions:

Why is it the role of government to help multi-billion dollar corporations? (I'm looking at you, 2008 banker bailout, among others.)

Why do corporate CEOs fly private jets to DC looking for handouts when their businesses are in trouble? Why does the government ask the people to sacrifice for the government's agenda?

Why can't government be held accountable when they break the law or cause harm to others?

Why can't regular people have the same immunities enjoyed by law enforcement, government officials, pharmaceutical companies, etc.

-------------

Your questions are perfectly valid, Cowboy, but the answer is simple. In the US, we have a multi-level justice system. How the law applies to you depends on various factors like race, financial status, your job, your political leanings, how much influence you can exert on the right people, etc.

There are many examples of this. Insider trading is illegal, unless you are in Congress. Lying to the government is a crime, government lying to you is SOP.

Poor people are just playing the hand they are dealt in a rigged game.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

TBT is a Progressive Owned Propaganda machine. At one time they were a great newspaper as the Tampa Trib and St Pete Times.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Amber Heard has put into public record that "news" is nothing but advertising.

Most of us likely knew it. I had been involved in many quid pro quo type deals where if we spend 5 figures on advertising, Texas Monthly will write a 2 page story about a project we are involved in. Its how it works....if you see an article about a place or event or something you can be 100% certain it was written by a publicist or was part of a package of advertising sold to that place or event.

But to see an editorial flat out written by the ACLU on behalf of someone that they ascribe it to, then buy the space to put it in in a large news source (not periodical) is a bit more than getting fluff put into Texas Monthly.

This should make all news automatically "fake news" without evidence rising to "reasonable doubt" being presented alongside it.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It seems to me keeping the county poor benefits Disney the most- cheap labor. Government programs designed to ease the burdens of the poor are a handout- not a hand up.
When you see how much money is devoted to the programs designed to help the lowest wage earners and investigate how much of that money is distributed to those running the programs, very little is actually left to help the people who are struggling. It's just enough to barely keep their heads above water; not enough to get them off the hamster wheel.

Seems to me all the government programs to 'help' those in poverty do more to keep them there than to help them find a way to prosper. They become complacent in their life of just squeaking by.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So basically, the Governor of Florida is trying to punish Disney.

Disney or at least it's supporters are confident the Governor can't do jack.

IIRC, the governor of a state can write laws into effect.

It all boils down to,
Party 1: "Nyah Nyah, the laws on our side."
Party 2: "I write the laws."

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.vanityfair.com...
and would be on the hook for Reedy Creek’s roughly $1 billion in outstanding bond debt.

I don't see that at all. why would they be responsible for the debt of some private company?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 01:39 PM
link   

And why won't Disney simply be taxed to pay for these expenses?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.vanityfair.com...
and would be on the hook for Reedy Creek’s roughly $1 billion in outstanding bond debt.

I don't see that at all. why would they be responsible for the debt of some private company?

Oh they absolutely are responsible. And Disney will now be taxed like every other company, like they should have been, to cover these expenses and more.

The only outcome is that Disney loses it's ability to get municipal bonds, and will now not be able to take advantage of it's special status.

Why in the world vanity fair thinks Disney won't pay to the county what it has been paying to reedy creek is mindboggling, I am not surprised though, liberals lose their mind when it comes to identity politics.
edit on 29-4-2022 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Boycott all Disney properties!!

There’s other places to go in Florida, Busch Gardens, Universal etc ., Walt is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

“ Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country “

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: choomsuba
Boycott all Disney properties!!

There’s other places to go in Florida, Busch Gardens, Universal etc ., Walt is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

“ Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country “

Meh. That takes effort. And it means I can't watch Marvel. That won't happen. I mean, if Coke can hire death squads to murder union leaders in Central America and still exist, i can see no reason for Disney to feel that much pain.

Boycotting really only works when something will be an alternative. DCEU sucks. LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wait until they find out that Walmart just launched a fitness apparel line with two lesbians.

Where you gonna buy your cheap imported crap now?

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   

My folks have lived there for 15 years. I know the area pretty well. There is still a disproportionately large population of elderly people there.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 03:27 PM
link   

TextWill Desantis be Voted out Due to his Disney Gamble?

The answer is not, he will not, he has now more support than before the Disney scandal.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Not in Orange and Osceol where this is happening. Osceola is about 13% over 65 now. Orange is at about 12%. Now, if you are in a retirement area you will see it but not as widespread as 20 years ago. A lot of the older folks have moved north because of growth.

Now Pinellas and the coastal areas, yes, they are at are 25% or so. Ocala in West Central is large with the older crowd also.

I grew up on St Pete Beach and we used to call them mobile Q-tips with the white hair in the caddys....

edit on Aprpm30pmf0000002022-04-29T15:59:01-05:000301 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   

From your post:

To put some perspective to the story let's learn about Orange County. It is very poor. Over 75% of students in Orange county qualify for free or reduced lunches. Those free lunch numbers are a good litmus test to the poorness of an area, and Orange country is poor.

We are hearing about Desantis, and we are hearing about Disney, but just like everything else, in the end the people that are going to be impacted are those poor people that live in Orange and Osceola county.

Why are these counties so POOR? If Disney has been caring for them for what, 50 years or so, then obviously something isn't right.

And for the record, the Federal Government has raised financial restrictions on free/reduced lunches. You don't have to live in a cardboard box and earn less than $50 a month anymore to get that assistance.

I don't have a dog in this fight but curious why if Disney is doing so well, why aren't those within it's borders? And are they really going to be worse off than before? After all, government assistance isn't decided upon where you live but your income. How would their income change? How would their government assistance change? Do you mean the people who HAVE money will be worse off because they will have to absorb the cost of caring for the community? Are their property taxes reflective of the massive amount of money Disney is contributing? Maybe check out the property values and real estate taxes to see if they are way under what the rest of state pays to get an idea.

edit on 29-4-2022 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If those counties are responsible for a billion dollars worth of services that means Disney is responsible for more than a billion in taxes they haven’t paid those counties so looks to me like a stand-off

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

The reason they are so poor right now in that area is about 350k Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Venezuelans migrated. Mass influx since Hurricane Maria in 2017. It changed the entire area in months.

Crime is up. Infrastructure is stressed. Schools overloaded. Traffic is insane. No rentals. Housing is through the roof.

Where do a looooot of them work? Disney and the other theme park and hotels but they will not lose their jobs.

People how already have money will not be hurt at all. Their home values have doubled in 2 years and a lot are cashing out and moving.

This is a DeSantis hit piece and nothing more.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join