It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this? Daughter found it...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Not really much to say, other than what is in the video...

My daughter found this while digging in the yard. Just wondering what it is...

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: edaced4
It's probably not all that old. Seems to be cast pewter or pot metal. Nice find tho. You never know.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hey, antique pocket watch/locket collectors, are my eyes playing tricks on me or does that not look an awful lot like the embellishments on Victorian styled pocket watch chains?? This looks very similar to a...call it a "case" I saw in a shop once, where the watch itself slid in from the top just like the find above. I'm not familiar with makers and specific styles or anything, that stuck out in my memory because it was fancy as hell & expensive (but it was gold, this looks like pewter or silver to me, probably silver)

I have a real cool vintage one, a locket & belt style chain for a pocket watch, the watch sits inside the locket (obviously) but it looks like old pirate treasure hanging off your side when closed. Sometimes the vintage finds in the second hand stores in FL are pretty cool

edit on 11/29/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
It seems too narrow to be that in my opinion.
You may he right tho. But I don't think it's silver, usually will have a greenish tint when dug up. I'm no expert however.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
It seems too narrow to be that in my opinion.
You may he right tho. But I don't think it's silver, usually will have a greenish tint when dug up. I'm no expert however.

You're right about lack of silver patina or greening, that's something I should have noticed (when I do wear jewelry, I prefer silver) I wear a silver toe ring still, it needs buffed to remove patina marks now & then.

So, if it were brass like the handles on one of my dressers (restored an antique) then it should also green up. if it's not pewter, it's probably a more modern composite.

Still wonder what it could be if not for a pocket watch or a belt to feed through it (i.e, could also be a buckle) A photo holder? Weird brooch? It's odd, but if someone cobbled it together, it's certainly a unique little thing.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Metal perfume surround? Sometimes these were wrapped over glass. This one seems a little too thick/unrefined though.
Do you have any close ups of the hinges. That could help with the age.

No it's not for perfume. Maybe an old piece to a fence/lock. I even thought of a part of a door. It appears that piece slips onto another piece..

edit on 29-11-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It appears to me that it was screwed onto something else. That's why the little hole on back and the opening in the front to reach the screw with screwdriver. I'm just reaching here tho.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Looks like a clasp to a jewelry box. Or not????

No clue

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Looks like some victorian antique that was probably used to hold a lighted candle.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Post it on r/whatisthisthing !

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You should run a metal detector through the yard and see what else is out there. You might find the rest of that.

I got a new nugget detector this year. Im surprised at how small of metal items it finds. For me, clad coins tarnished black, silver tarnished silver gray, and copper turns a blue green. Who knows, you may have some old coins or rings out in the garden. Some people used to bury their savings in their gardens
edit on 29-11-2021 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Looks like it’s missing an inserted piece my guess would be some form of lighter almost like a zippo just not as simple

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Looks like it’s missing an inserted piece my guess would be some form of lighter almost like a zippo just not as simple

Initially I thought that too, but if you watch when the top closes, there isn't a lot of room for anything on top, It seems more decorative with maybe room for the slightest button or something.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That looks a lot like the embellishments found on an old brass or steel bed frame.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Iron fence head decorative topper. Goes on top post then top rail goes through it.

My guess anyway, found outside in the yard.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The swivel action made me thing of lighter as it is also the striking surface so it ignites when opened without the need of a steel roller but the video didn’t really show it off good enough to see if it was worn under the cover as that could hold clues to what it’s for

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
Iron fence head decorative topper. Goes on top post then top rail goes through it.

My guess anyway, found outside in the yard.

Was kinda thinking along these lines as well...however why the hinged lid??

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Maybe better??

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck
That looks a lot like the embellishments found on an old brass or steel bed frame.

Or fence they had fancy fences.
Could also be from the fancy woodstoves or fireplace screens.

edit on 29-11-2021 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My guess. Napkin holder ring. They came in sets.

P

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join