It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 8.7 Earthquake in Indonesia, Thousands Feared Dead

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
PistolPete
I posted it a second ago. Every time the scale goes up .2, the force doubles. 8.0 quake is 1k, 8.4 is 4k, 8.6 is 8k, 8.8 is 16k, so an 8.7 is 12k.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think this is right:
8 1000
8.1 1500
8.2 2000
8.3 3000
8.4 4000
8.5 6000
8.6 8000
8.7 12000
8.8 16000
8.9 24000
9 32000

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
PistolPete
I posted it a second ago. Every time the scale goes up .2, the force doubles. 8.0 quake is 1k, 8.4 is 4k, 8.6 is 8k, 8.8 is 16k, so an 8.7 is 12k.

Does the duration of th earthquake play a role in the power generated by the quake? The one on Dec 26 lasted an unusual 1 min 40 seconds (I think), this one lasted for 3 minutes? Excuse me I am sort of dumb in this type of calculation.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Mynaeris
The measurement is provided to show the equivalent amount of peak vibration in the ground, the amount of shaking you'd feel if 12 thousand Kt worth of dynamite was detonated beneath your feet.

These long earthquakes just maintain that feeling for longer than a few dozen seconds.

There is more heat built up, more magma created, more damage done to the crust, etc...

But the feeling is the same magnitude.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Massive quake for Sumatra was predicted
With eerie precision, seismologists warned less than two weeks ago that Sumatra was at imminent risk of being hit by a quake of roughly the same magnitude that struck the Indonesian island on Tuesday.

In a study published on March 17, a British team said there was "potential" for a massive temblor in the ocean floor west of Sumatra as a result of tensions stoked up there by the December 26 quake.

They said the quake could be as powerful as 8.5, and possibly generate a tsunami.

Source

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
CNN is reporting 300 homes destroyed and 50 people dead on the island nearest the epicenter. Still no confirmation of a tsunami, but the reports here of a 'small' tsunami are worrying - I think they get bigger and faster as they radiate away from the epicenter...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The USGS is claiming this is an aftershock from the Dec quake.

I don't think that's accurate at all. This is an earthquake. A great earthquake no less.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It's been 5 hours now since the earthquake, and the BBC are reporting that Thai officials have declared an all clear on the threat of a Tsunami.

BBC

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I've just noticed a third earthquake on IRIS which i am sure wasn't listed there earlier.

28-MAR-2005 18:30:43 0.90 97.80 6.7 30.0 NORTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA

Just over two hours after the first

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wow. The day after Christmas, now the day after Easter. Its almost as if God is shaking the world down there, saying, have you heard the news about Jesus?

There will be world-wide repercussions from this release of tectonic pressure, to be sure. All the posts about volcanic activity and other areas of slippage are dead on.

Does the predictions forum accomodate members with clairvoyant tendencies? Where can I follow the predictions of our psychically sensitive members? To be on the safer side, I want to be able to follow the scientifically predicted path of repercussion as well as the paranomally predicted one.

May God bless and keep the innocents in the path of this destructive force.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

(posted by MattMarriott)
Day after Christmas, now day after Easter - the day after, when the bill comes, is too late.

Are you suggesting that the next one will be on the day after the next big Christian holiday, which is Ascension Day, May 20?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
...May God bless and keep the innocents in the path of this destructive force.

ummmmm.................uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................ummmmmm??????????

You meant "out of".....correct?

Peace

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Here are some more charts to show some visual differences between 8.7 and 9.+ earthquake magnitudes. (hope they format here ok)

Descriptor Richter Magnitudes Earthquake Effects Frequency of Occurence

Micro Less than 2.0 Microearthquakes, not felt. About 8,000 per day

Very Minor 2.0-2.9 Generally not felt, but recorded. About 1,000 per day

Minor 3.0-3.9 Often felt, but rarely causes damage. 49,000 (estimated) per year

Light 4.0-4.9 Noticeable shaking of indoor items, rattling noises. Significant damage unlikely. 6,200 (estimated) per year

Moderate 5.0-5.9 Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings over small regions. At most slight damage to well-designed buildings. 800 per year

Strong 6.0-6.9 Can be destructive in areas up to about 100 miles across in populated areas. 120 per year

Major 7.0-7.9 Can cause serious damage over larger areas. 18 per year

Great 8.0-8.9 Can cause serious damage in areas several hundred miles across. 1 per year

Rare Great 9.0 or greater Catastrophic Devastation. 1 per 20 years

Richter Scale

Mercalli Intensity Scale

(I) - Not felt except by a very few under especially favourable conditions.

(II) - Felt only by a few persons at rest, especially on upper floors of buildings. Delicately suspended objects may swing.

(III) - Felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on the upper floors of buildings. Many do not recognize it as an earthquake. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Vibration similar to the passing of a truck. Duration estimated.

(IV) - Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.

(V) - Felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. Some dishes and windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.

(VI) - Felt by all; many frightened and run outdoors, walk unsteadily. Windows, dishes, glassware broken... books off shelves... some heavy furniture moved or overturned; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

(VII) - Difficult to stand... furniture broken..damage negligible in building of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken. Noticed by persons driving motor cars.

(VIII) - Damage slight in specially designed structures; considerable in ordinary substantial buildings with partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Fall of chimneys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls. Heavy furniture moved.

(IX) - General panic. Damage great in substantial buildings, with partial collapse. Buildings shifted off foundations.

(X) - Some well built wooden structures destroyed; most masonry and frame structures destroyed with foundations. Rails bent.

(XI) - Few, if any (masonry) structures remain standing. Bridges destroyed. Rails bent greatly.

(XII) - Damage total. Lines of sight and level distorted. Objects thrown into the air.

Mercalli Intensity Scale

TABLE -- Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale

MMI Value / Summary Damage / Full Description

I. Not felt. Marginal and long period effects of large
earthquakes.

II. Felt by persons at rest, on upper floors, or favorably placed.

III. Felt indoors. Hanging objects swing. Vibration like passing of
light trucks. Duration estimated. May not be recognized as an
earthquake.

IV. Hanging objects swing. Vibration like passing of heavy trucks;
or sensation of a jolt like a heavy ball striking the walls.
Standing motor cars rock. Windows, dishes, doors rattle.
Glasses clink. Crockery clashes. In the upper range of IV,
wooden walls and frame creak.

V. Pictures Move: Felt outdoors; direction estimated. Sleepers wakened. Liquids
disturbed, some spilled. Small unstable objects displaced or
upset. Doors swing, close, open. Shutters, pictures move.
Pendulum clocks stop, start, change rate.

VI. Objects Fall: Felt by all. Many frightened and run outdoors. Persons walk
unsteadily. Windows, dishes, glassware broken. Knickknacks,
books, etc., off shelves. Pictures off walls. Furniture moved
or overturned. Weak plaster and *masonry D cracked. Small bells
ring (church, school). Trees, bushes shaken (visibly, or heard
to rustle).

VII. Nonstruct Ural Damage: Difficult to stand. Noticed by drivers of motor cars. Hanging
objects quiver. Furniture broken. Damage to *masonry D,
including cracks. Weak chimneys broken at roof line. Fall of
plaster, loose bricks, stones, tiles, cornices (also unbraced
parapets and architectural ornaments).Some cracks in *masonry
C
. Waves on ponds; water turbid with mud. Small slides and
caving in along sand or gravel banks. Large bells ring.
Concrete irrigation ditches damaged.

VIII. Moderate Damage: Steering of motor cars affected. Damage to *masonry C;
partial collapse.Some damage to *masonry B; none to *masonry
A
. Fall of stucco and some masonry walls. Twisting, fall of
chimneys, factory stacks, monuments, towers, elevated tanks
Frame houses moved on foundations if not bolted down;
loose panels walls thrown out. Decayed piling broken off.
Branches broken from trees. Changes in flow or temperature
of springs and wells Cracks in wet ground and on steep slopes.

IX. Heavy Damage: General panic. *Masonry D destroyed; *Masonry C heavily damaged,
sometimes with complete collapse; *Masonry B seriously damaged
(General damage to foundations). Frame structures, if not bolted,
shifted off foundations. Frames racked. Serious damage to
reservoirs. Underground pipes broken. Conspicuous cracks in
ground. In alluvial areas sand and mud ejected, earthquake
fountains, sand craters.

X. Extreme Damage: Most masonry and frame structures destroyed with their
foundations. Some well-built wooden structures and bridges
destroyed. Serious damage to dams, dikes, embankments. Large
landslides. Water thrown on banks of canals, rivers, lakes, etc.
Sand and mud shifted horizontally on beaches and flat
land. Rails bent slightly.

XI. Catastrophic Damage: Rails bent greatly. Underground pipelines completely out of
service.

XII. Cataclysmic Devastation: Damage nearly total. Large rock masses displaced. Lines of
sight and level distorted. Objects thrown into the air.

*Masonry A: Good workmanship, mortar, and design; reinforced, especially laterally, and bound together by using steel, concrete, etc.; designed to resist lateral forces.
*Masonry B: Good workmanship and mortar; reinforced, but not designed in detail to resist lateral forces.
*Masonry C: Ordinary workmanship and mortar; no extreme weaknesses like failing to tie in at corners, but neither reinforced nor designed against horizontal forces.
*Masonry D: Weak materials, such as adobe; poor mortar; low standards of workmanship; weak horizontally.*

Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Latest report is saying that Hundreds may be dead on the Nias Island

After the major Quake,

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This is GOD'S attempt to distract us from the Terri Schiaivo case, and it won't work. How dare those selfish people do this!!! They've already had their 15 minutes...no repeats, no reruns unless it's some lame cop show or sitcom...it's those damn liberals fault.

Actually my heart goes out to those poor people, they have suffered enough but I can hear some Micheal Savage (what an appro. name) or Ann Coulter saying something just like that....after all Tom Delay claimed Terri Schiavio was GOD'S gift to the Republicans to distract the media from his legal problems. Don't the God's repay hubris harshly?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Two more listed on IRIS:

28-MAR-2005 19:02:19 1.01 97.82 5.8 30.0 NORTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA
28-MAR-2005 18:48:52 2.73 95.96 5.5 30.0 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Link
There is a "100 per cent" chance of a tsunami threatening Indian Ocean nations following a massive 8.7 magnitude quake off the coast of Indonesia, a US seismologist said today.

"My personal view is that a tsunami has a 100 per cent chance of happening," US Geological Survey (USGS) earthquake expert Kerry Sieh told journalists in Los Angeles.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Have we been able to determine if they're out of the proverbial woods regarding a tsunami by this point?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
A small tsunami was detected at Cocos Islands (Aus.). This time it was only 10 cm. high. The 26 Dec 2004 tsunami was 30 cm. when it passed Cocos. This latest smaller tsunami was expected to hit Australia´s west coast about half an hour ago. Madagascar and Mauritius have issued a tsunami warning and are still waiting for it, I guess. The tsunami warning in Thailand have been cancelled.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Have we been able to determine if they're out of the proverbial woods regarding a tsunami by this point?

All i know so far according to Skynews Thailand, Sri Lanka and India have withdrawn their tsuami warnings and advised people to return to their homes.

Indonesia: Reports of damage in towns in Sumatra and thousands of people have fled their homes in Banda Aceh. Dozens of people are reported killed on the Indonesian island of Nias.

Thailand: A tsunami warning was issued along the west coast but has now been withdrawn. Local authorities in six provinces, including the tourist island of Phuket, had moved people away from the coast. They are now being told they can return to their homes.

Malaysia: The government has urged residents along the west coast to evacuate.

Mauritius: The national weather service sent out tsunami alerts to the coastal regions as well as the islands of Rodrigues and Agalega.

Madagascar: Rescue services have issued alerts for the entire east of the country.

Sri Lanka: Officials evacuated the eastern town of Trincomalee and other towns along the coast. It has now withdrawn its warning.

India: The government in the Andaman and Nicobar islands issued a preliminary warning through police stations in coastal areas. It has now withdrawn its tsunami warning.

Singapore: Thousands of people felt the quake and fled their homes

Also 290 feared dead in island Nias and reports could be people trapped

[edit on 28-3-2005 by asala]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Dr. Love,

"May God bless and keep you" is an expression of hope for salvation.

Substitute 'the innocents in the path of this destructive force' for 'you' in the above.

You are pulling my leg, aren't you? It did sound bad when I read it your way, though.

Just goes to show how the devil can twist things around, huh?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join