It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 8.7 Earthquake in Indonesia, Thousands Feared Dead

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Nias (Also thought to be near the epi center)

also affected by the boxing day quake,has been reporting that there is a lot of damamge there,

Some reports from the region of panic and power outages. There was even one report that stated the shaking went on for up to 3 minutes. That's a whole lot of movement.

Also witness reports that this felt stronger in the sumatra area than the Quake on boxing day.

SKYNEWS

Quake hit 120 miles west of Sibolga

The tsunami warning centre, which recorded the quake as 8.5, said the earthquake could cause a "widely destructive tsunami" and authorities should take "immediate action".

[edit on 28-3-2005 by asala]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
...I think there's more to come. Something changed very drastically after the Dec quake, the regions seismicity has been shockingly abnormal ever since.

I have a suspicion that these are unnatural-natural disasters. Something is going on under the Indian Ocean, something the people will never know the truth about. Whether it be nuclear bombs, some other super weapon testing, or aliens I don't know, but it won't be long before we see papa George and Bill on our TV screens again. I think that both of them know what's really going on over there. The only tsunami they're interested in is the tsunami of cash that's going to fund whatever we're not supposed to know about. Just a crazy thought.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
cmdr
Do a search for Toba.

Attention
Check out this link and tell me if what I'm seeing is correct. The change in the pattern of 'aftershocks' started near the end of January and continued in a very odd spread up until a period of silence on the 26th of this month (the first one in 3 months - exactly) and then this quake today.
www.emsc-csem.org...

Check out the link regarding changes in the pattern of aftershocks. Also IRIS seems to be experiencing major slowdown and may go offline, so use this alternate resource if that happens.

What is the signifigance? Will there be another three months, or because of the changed distribution, are we witnessing the plate cusp collapsing? That would be..bad.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
All survivors of the Christmas tsunami are already still in ruins.
It would be devastating for them to have to endure another such hardship after barely overcoming the first.

I hope evacuactions have begun.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Dr. LOve,

The US is not causing these earthquakes. People like to believe that the US is generating them because, in a weird way, it's comforting to think that humans are the ones who are really behind natural disasters (and not forces of nature beyond our control). Unfortunately, mere talk of such a thing will be taken as gospel by anyone who already hates america.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
"For people living closest to this earthquake, just off the coast of Sumatra, it's a matter of just half an hour before a tsunami might hit", Cassidy said.

As for India and Sri Lanka, it would take a tsunami several hours to hit land.

An earthquake has to meet certain conditions if it is to trigger a tsunami:

• It has to be larger than magnitude 8.0
  • The sea floor has to either lift or drop
  • The quake has to occur offshore

U.S. Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said the quake may actually be an aftershock from the massive December quake, but it is a "very serious earthquake in its own right."

SOURCE

[edit on 3-28-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Please, to everybody who has faith in a God of justice and love, pray for them. Pray for their lives, for their souls...

Christians, Muslims, Jews alike... we all have the same Father who can help them in their suffering. Let's fast for these people!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams
Using your logic, people don't like to believe their governments are capable of such horrendous attrocity, but some of us know for a FACT that they are. And your comment stating unequivocally that the US isn't causing this, how can you say that? That's just your belief. There's evidence in both camps, and you shouldn't mislead people any more than the other side should, by saying things as "gospel."

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
This may seem like a stupid question, but isn't there a super caldera similar to the one at Yellowstone in the region? I've tried googling it myself, but got no luck.

You're probably thinking of Lake Toba, Sumatra. The most recent supervolcano eruption occured here 74,000 years ago

Several members of this forum predicted this.

I've been saying to a few of my relatives for the last month that there will be a major earthquake on 29th or 30th March.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

cmdr
Do a search for Toba.

Thanks... I thought there was one around there. Is there any chance that it could be related with that? After all, these quakes are quite nearby. Maybe we should stop worrying about Yellowstone and think about what could happen if this one blows.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Am I reading this right????
www.emsc-csem.org...

This is showing two different 8.2 quakes, at two different depths, with 2 different locations!

Did we just have 2 8.2 Quakes??

EDIT: Actually, the data is on this page.
www.emsc-csem.org...

[edit on 3/28/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

onlyinmydreams
Using your logic, people don't like to believe their governments are capable of such horrendous attrocity, but some of us know for a FACT that they are. And your comment stating unequivocally that the US isn't causing this, how can you say that? That's just your belief. There's evidence in both camps, and you shouldn't mislead people any more than the other side should, by saying things as "gospel."

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have been so unequivocal.

However, it's clear that the energy involved in the last tsunami was on the order of thousands of nuclear bombs. How... how could the us have lifted an entire tectonic plate? To be frank, since such a feat would be absolutely amazing, it's up to the people who believe the us is causing this to come up with explanations for HOW they are causing this.

I don't mean to squabble. Right now, like a poster above stated, we need to pray and hope for the people in this region.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
From a CNN article dated March 17, 2005:

LONDON, England (AP) -- A buildup of stress on faults in Sumatra is likely to trigger another large earthquake -- and potentially another tsunami -- in the Indian Ocean region, seismologists say.

Researchers at the University of Ulster-Coleraine in Northern Ireland report in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature that stress is building not only in the Sumatra fault, where the magnitude 9.0 quake struck December 26, but also on the adjacent fault zone known as the Sunda Trench, located under the sea west of Sumatra.

*snip*

Major earthquakes tend to cluster in areas called subduction zones where two or more plates of the Earth's crust grind and overlap. The December 26 quake occurred where the edge of the deep, flat Indian plate dives below the ragged Burma plate. The nearby Sunda Trench marks where the Indian plate begins its grinding descent into the Earth's hot mantle.

The researchers noted several examples where major earthquakes in subduction zones have been coupled. In Japan, at least five major quakes in the Nankaido fault have been accompanied by similar events on the contiguous Toanakai/Tokai segment within five years -- and three of the subsequent quakes ruptured in the same years as their precursors.

CNN

Bleys

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
cmdr
Glad you found it, sorry I couldn't post links for you myself.

Toba: It's what I've been thinking about since Dec. 26th. Toba makes Yellowstone look like a cupcake compared to a buffet. It has an enormous, completely uncharted, interconnected series of magma chambers. When they fill up, the pressure is simply enormous. On top of that, the ability of the crust to contain the pressure is diminished with every quake, and there have been a LOT of quakes in that region.

Plus, every time there's a 5.0, that's X more tons of rock being squeezed into the system, it melts relatively quickly, and spreads throughout the chamber. Every time the earth shakes more magma is added, and when it shakes as badly as this (3 minutes!
) that's a huge amount of material being added.

The problem is, there's no way yet to accurately measure the pressure, or the capacity, or the current volume; that spells trouble for anyone wishing to predict these supervolcanoes.

I'm also very concerned about the plate boundary, which seems to be folding up in several places, and may snap. THAT would be a tsunami to remember...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
knowing that frequent quakes are the best way to remove tectonic stress, is it a good thing that there are more frequent ones?

After the subsurface slide that caused the last wave, is it even possible to create another quake? Or is it now like avalanch control, and now that the seabed was forcefully modified last time, that a big section of seafloor isn't going to cut away soon?

On another note, good. We warned 'em. Everybody and their frickin' mother warned 'em. Did they evacuate the beaches? Did they stop their revolutions and coups? Or are they all ready to blame us for false alarms, since no big wave has hit?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
"For people living closest to this earthquake, just off the coast of Sumatra, it's a matter of just half an hour before a tsunami might hit", Cassidy said.

So does that suggest that if it hasn't already hit, it isn't going to?
That would be quite a relief to know.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Tsunami's are so unpredictable that we could be waiting hours or minutes for the warnings to come.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Dr. LOve,

The US is not causing these earthquakes. People like to believe that the US is generating them because, in a weird way, it's comforting to think that humans are the ones who are really behind natural disasters (and not forces of nature beyond our control). Unfortunately, mere talk of such a thing will be taken as gospel by anyone who already hates america.

I didn't say it was the U.S.'s fault. I don't know who all's behind it, but like I said before, I think it was interesting how George and Bill jumped all over this thing and became the poster boys for the tsunami charities. They've raised an obscene amount of money so far, and I suspect that in time we will all see that the region actually received only a small percentage of that money for it's reconstruction. In five years nobody on this planet will care about these events and will ever question what the money was really used for. Maybe whatever is really going on is in humanity's best interest, or maybe it isn't. People like myself believe that the real world is a lot more unreal than we really know.

Papa George was quoted as saying that we only knew the half of it regarding aliens and UFOs. Theres a lot of crazy stories about India and UFOs right now. What if this linked to that? Sounds whacko......huh? How do you know? How do any of us know?

Peace

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Dr Love]

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Phreak
No, there weren't two 8's to my knowledge. There were however, by my count, about 7 6+ and about the same number of 5+ since the 8.2 event.
There's some severe movement going on. The rest of the world is feeling it slightly, but that region is really moving.

Phuge
Check out my earlier post about stress relief. It occurs in some types of faults and not in others. In slips faults, it just exacerbates the problem.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Please, to everybody who has faith in a God of justice and love, pray for them. Pray for their lives, for their souls...

Christians, Muslims, Jews alike... we all have the same Father who can help them in their suffering. Let's fast for these people!

The Tsunami did has not striken as of yet... there is still hope!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join