It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 8.7 Earthquake in Indonesia, Thousands Feared Dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It should be noted that an earthquake expert on MSNBC just said that an 8.2 is 16 times less powerful than a 9.0.

Just for reference: an 8.0 gives out 1000 megatons of TNT. While a 9.2 gives out 64000 megatons of TNT. I realize those are slightly different, but you get the idea.

jclahr.com...

Obviously you don't want to see this happening there any more, but this won't be catastrophic.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
ju stab urden
The window of danger is about 3 hours from the peak of the event. They'll likely remove the warning after that.

onlyinmydreams
Check out RATS. There's a thread going there, and if there's more demand I'll add more to my reply relating to application of demolitions munitions, Sea Burst Technology, and other possibilities for what could have cause the Dec. quake.

PistolPete
I thought it was more like 30 times less energy. Thanks for the link.
Another to add to my toolbox.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

"The earthquake is strong enough to issue the warning for people to evacuate as a prevention, particularly in the area affected by the tsunami last time," said Chalermchai Akekantrong, deputy director general of the meteorological department, on Thai television.

Officials in Sri Lanka have urged residents along the island's tsunami-battered coastline to leave immediately.

"We are not certain that this latest quake will trigger tsunamis that will hit Sri Lanka," department deputy director Lalith Chandrapala said.

"But, we are asking people living along the coast to leave as a precaution."

Link

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ju stab urden

So does that suggest that if it hasn't already hit, it isn't going to?

Not necessarily, but apparently if it's going to happen, it will happen very soon.

REUTERS
But the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake had the "potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake."

"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicenter within three hours of the earthquake," it added.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
NM....

somebody above answered ym question already. OOPS!

[edit on 28-3-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
onlyinmydreams
Using your logic, people don't like to believe their governments are capable of such horrendous attrocity, but some of us know for a FACT that they are. And your comment stating unequivocally that the US isn't causing this, how can you say that? That's just your belief. There's evidence in both camps, and you shouldn't mislead people any more than the other side should, by saying things as "gospel."

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have been so unequivocal.

However, it's clear that the energy involved in the last tsunami was on the order of thousands of nuclear bombs. How... how could the us have lifted an entire tectonic plate? To be frank, since such a feat would be absolutely amazing, it's up to the people who believe the us is causing this to come up with explanations for HOW they are causing this.

I don't mean to squabble. Right now, like a poster above stated, we need to pray and hope for the people in this region.

Actually, not all that much is needed.

Here's how you initiate a very large earthquake with such weapons. Take a convenient fault zone or set of them. Focus the interferometry on the fault zone, in the "diverging" mode, and deposit EM energy there in the rocks on both sides, increasing (slowly) the stress in the rocks by the reverse piezoelectric effect (deposit excess energy, get crystal mechanical movements). Do it slowly, and the stress will build up to large pressures well-above a plate slip minimum energy required. At some point, the rocks yield and one or both sides "slip" and move rather sharply, giving a very large earthquake in that zone. Do the same thing down in the earth (remember, LWs easily penetrate right through the earth and ocean at will, and so the 'interference zone' focus can be inside the earth or beneath the ocean, at will)."
- Tom Bearden, Ph.D., nuclear engineer, retired Lieutenant Colonel (U.S. Army), CEO of CTEC, Inc., Director of the Association of Distinguished American Scientists, and Fellow Emeritus of the Alpha Foundation's Institute for Advanced Study, in "The Tesla Howitzer and its Modes of Action"

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
How much time elapsed between the quake and the tsunami hitting lad last time?

Minutes for Sumatra

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

cmdr
Glad you found it, sorry I couldn't post links for you myself.

Not a problem... For others interested in the Toba Super Caldera, here's some info.

zyx.org...

Their is substantial evidence to show that within the time of the super volcano Toba's eruption in the Indonesian Pacific, the world's population of homo sapiens decreased from over one hundred thousand to less than two thousand, basically because global temperatures dropped five degrees for many years. This was within the current interglacial and at its start.

The eruption of 2,800 cubic km of magma at Toba caldera 75,000 years ago was the largest eruption in the last 2 million years. The eruption may have release as much as 10 X10^12 kg of sulfuric acid, an order of magnitude more than Laki in 1783 and Tambora in 1815, two of the greatest Holocene eruptions.

For comparison, the most recent Yellowstone eruption only gave off about 1000 cubic km of magma. The largest eruption, 2.2 million years ago, gave off about 2500 cubic km of magma.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Phreak
No, there weren't two 8's to my knowledge. There were however, by my count, about 7 6+ and about the same number of 5+ since the 8.2 event.
There's some severe movement going on. The rest of the world is feeling it slightly, but that region is really moving.

So do that not remove previous information from that page if they modify it?
Here's what I am talking about, from the previous link

2005/03/28 16:09:33.6 2.12 N 97.05 E 17 Mw8.2 NORTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA 2005/03/28 17:08

2005/03/28 16:09:37.0 2.09 N 97.02 E 30G M 8.2 NORTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA 2005/03/28 16:40

Note that everything about these two shown is different. The first has a depth of 16km and the second 30km.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Phreak
Yeah, I notice...

hmmm... When I checked they had removed the duplicate (?) or whatever you want to call it. The readings may have been from different instruments, or they may have had two back to back and decided to just line them up into one long one.
I don't know...

Thanks for bringing it to our attention though, it wasn't like that the two times I visited.

Dunno... Anybody know any reliable seismo sites besides the one posted and the ubiquitous IRIS?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yeah Wyrde, it would be a good idea to check another source to see if they report the same thing.

EDIT: USGS shows only one here

[edit on 3/28/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
How much time elapsed between the quake and the tsunami hitting lad last time?

Apparently it was a couple of hours between the quake and the tsunami hitting land. Aren't we about two hours into this latest earthquake now?

SOURCE
Two hours passed between the time of the earthquake and the impact of the tsunami on Sri Lanka. Proportionately longer times from earthquake to impact occurred at other locations.

The unhurried schedule for evaluating seismic data from major earthquake events at USGS is intolerable. USGS' methodical review of seismic event data lends itself to a highly accurate, historical representation of each earthquake...ideal for scientific research. However, this after-the-fact presentation of data is little solace for those who might have been able to heed advance warnings and save their own lives or the lives of their loved ones.

Two hours of advance warning to the most likely tsunami targets could have saved thousands of lives.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Anyone remember QCandace219's prediction?

[edit on 3-28-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
phreak... this could just be an error in their udpate system. Look at the time difference (only 4 secs!), and the exact location, which appears to be the same. It's obvious that it's the very same earthquake...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Apparently it was a couple of hours between the quake and the tsunami hitting land. Aren't we about two hours into this latest earthquake now?

Yeah, but the last quake was larer so maybe the wave was moving faster? Just a thought... Maybe this one didn't produce a tsunami even. Hopefully not, at least.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Oceanographer David Burwell of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (search) in Hawaii said the agency was watching water levels "but we don't have any gauges in that area." He said it would be a few hours before officials received any readings.

Fox News

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hmmm.. while on subject, they may not have infromation for few hours, and it takes less than that for one to happen. Not good.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Does anyone remember that scientist who said he predicted the boxing day earthquake due to planetary alignments. Well i thought i'd check out the planets and there is an alignment of the Earth, Mercury, the Sun and Venus.

Solar System Live
Coincidence??

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
www.prh.noaa.gov...

Interesting

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 1629Z 28 MAR 2005

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE PACIFIC BASIN EXCEPT
ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. THERE IS NO TSUNAMI WARNING
OR WATCH IN EFFECT.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 1610Z 28 MAR 2005
COORDINATES - 2.3 NORTH 97.1 EAST
LOCATION - NORTHERN SUMATERA INDONESIA
MAGNITUDE - 8.5

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yeah, that duplicate could be an update ghost, on the other hand it would be hard for the seismos to function and record accurately DURING an earthquake. I mean, wouldn't the signals overlap and simply appear as one 'dense' reading, like the type we're seeing?

Yeah, that prediction was right on. That poster has 17 points currently. Can someone give the person like a k or something? Just for effect?

From the source linked to by the last post..

THERE WAS HOWEVER A SMALL TSUNAMI OBSERVED ON THE COCOS TIDE GAGE.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It has a 12km focal point (depth) therefore I see the risk of a tsunami being much less than the previous quake.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
Hmmm.. while on subject, they may not have infromation for few hours, and it takes less than that for one to happen. Not good.

No, it's not good.

What it is good for is it's a reason to collect more contributions for an early warning tsunami detection device for the Indian Ocean. Exactly what do one of those look like anyways? What about the other oceans?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join