It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 8.7 Earthquake in Indonesia, Thousands Feared Dead

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
looks like there's been a lot of activity in alaska today:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

all up and down the aleutians. is that normal?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

is that normal?

Pretty much, its like that almost everyday.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
BBC news just reported that there have been deaths on some island there.

I dont know if that was from the earthquake itself or from a wave.

Link

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
onlyinmydreams
Using your logic, people don't like to believe their governments are capable of such horrendous attrocity, but some of us know for a FACT that they are. And your comment stating unequivocally that the US isn't causing this, how can you say that? That's just your belief. There's evidence in both camps, and you shouldn't mislead people any more than the other side should, by saying things as "gospel."

How can you say we are causing these earthquakes?.... How do you know for a fact that we are the ones doing it?... That is just a wild belief imo.

I do not think we have the capacity yet to affect nature in a manner as to create earthquakes of that magnitude wherever any government wants to.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Cobra,
Thanks for the info. I will start watching that chart everyday.

Is it unusual for a quake to last 3 minutes? My layman's impression was that most quakes only lasted a few seconds.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Muadibb
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Lemme try again. I know for a fact that our government, and the officials who serve it, are capable of mind-bending atrocities. I SUSPECT that they may have involvement in earth/weather manipulation. I also allow for the possibility that these are normal events. I'm not stating anything as fact, except that bit previously mentioned.

And BTW, Sea Burst weapons are real, tested, and effective. So are Dam Busters, which work on the same basic principle. You're on RATS, let's continue the discussion there, and keep this thread clean from all the animosity sure to follow.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
... That is just a wild belief imo.

They count on you thinking and believing exactly that. When you say and think that, it makes their job easier. Let the herd control the herd.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Apparently,there was a small tsunami,but nothing major.Apparently those deaths were caused by the earthquake itself.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Is it unusual for a quake to last 3 minutes? My layman's impression was that most quakes only lasted a few seconds.

Yes, it's fairly unusual. I think most quakes are measured in seconds. Not necessarily single digits, I think most quakes are tens of seconds, but several minutes is quite anomalous. As far I understand anyway. Maybe someone else can answer that question more definitively.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I predicted a huge quake on the 31st, I knew there would be quakes at the moment due to alignments and the upcoming solar eclipse on the 8th. Although the one today sort of fits my prediction I think there will be another and as I previously stated California side of the pac plate has been too quiet. Lots of tiny ones in Cali and Alasaka but no big ones ......The side of the plate in Indonesia seems to be squishing up so it must be tearing away on the other side, watch how Mt St helens and other volcanoes react. San fransisco is where Valhall predicts it more exact.

www.belowtopsecret.com... fifth post down

My daughter and I have felt the ground moving over the last two days, this afternoon between about 5 and 6 pm I saw the strangest thing down at the mud flats in town, a wave, a long wave with breakers followed five or so minutes later by another wave....our mud flats never have waves, the tide creeps in usually.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

USGS
A strong earthquake occurred at 16:38:43 (UTC) on Monday, March 28, 2005. The magnitude 6.0 event has been located in the NIAS REGION, INDONESIA.

28-MAR-2005 16:38:43 1.37 97.36 6.0 30.0 NORTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA

And i just noticed USGS changed the first one up to 8.7

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The USGS is now reporting the quake as an 8.7

Magnitude 8.7 - NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

The white lines indicate fault lines.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I knew this would get bigger, USGS originally had the tsunami quake on 26th as 8.0, and this one started off as 8.2, then 8.5, now 8.7. I believe this could be even as big as a 9er, I saw reports where people in Jakarta said this felt stronger than boxing day quake. I guess the good thing this time is there wont be as many deaths purely because their either already dead from previous tsunami and people now know to get away from the coast.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
It should be noted that an earthquake expert on MSNBC just said that an 8.2 is 16 times less powerful than a 9.0.

Just for reference: an 8.0 gives out 1000 megatons of TNT. While a 9.2 gives out 64000 megatons of TNT. I realize those are slightly different, but you get the idea.

jclahr.com...

Obviously you don't want to see this happening there any more, but this won't be catastrophic.

With the recent upgrade to 8.7 what would the difference bebetween that and the 9.0?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
About 12k for the 8.7 vs. 32k for the 9.0 if I'm not mistaken.

(That's in Kilotons of TNT.)

The magnitude double everytime you raise .2 on the scale. So, an 8.0 is 1k, 8.2 is 2k, 8.4 is 4k, 8.6 is 8k, 8.7 should be 12k.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well, i think some of you would remember that i mentioned that Ed Dames said that around this time, March or April of this year there would be another major earthquake in that area. He did say it would be a 9+ magnitude quake. He centered the quake in the northwestern area from Australia. It seems he was right, again, although partially.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
About 12k for the 8.7 vs. 32k for the 9.0 if I'm not mistaken.

(That's in Kilotons of TNT.)

The magnitude double everytime you raise .2 on the scale. So, an 8.0 is 1k, 8.2 is 2k, 8.4 is 4k, 8.6 is 8k, 8.7 should be 12k.

oops, 16k... double 8k

Just now hearing reports of dizones killed and 100'ds of buildings destroyed. Many people are trapped in the buildings as well.
Link

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There was a small tsunami reported on Cocos Islands tide guage

Source

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I haven't seen this posted yet, but there was a 6.0 following it. Not quite as bad, but I would thing it could further collapse buildings and what not.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Any mathematicians out there wanna so some calculations?

Well an 8.0 is a 1000 megatons, an 8.5 is 5000 megatons, and a 9.0 is 32000 megatons. That would make it many times greater than a 8.2. I just can't do the math to figure it out. I'm mathematically challenged.

I can't find a site that lists the tonnage down to every tenth.

Here's the equations and list in halves:
www.seismo.unr.edu...

EDIT: Everyone is so quick.

[edit on (3/28/0505 by PistolPete]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join