It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN voting system is seriously flawed...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
it has become VERY clear to me that people vote for ATSNN submissions without reading ANY of the actual submission...

for example, when i posted a news submission, it got a "yes" vote no less than 3 seconds after i posted it...

this is just an observation...

i have no way of fixing it but we should think of one...

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Now the story is at -5. I would be happy to get a yes vote from a person who didn't read the story

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Don't feel left out, my own stories get snuffed quickly, despite their content or newsworthyness....

Heres my latest attempt:

Child Raped In Her Own Home

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Maybe a short compliment/ complaint should be included with the vote. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of the voting system either, but especially for a 'no' vote, a simple scan of the submission can reveal major problems with the format or newsworthiness of the submission.

NOTE: I'm not talking about any of the submissions made by people referenced on this thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't mind if there is a legitimate complaint, say grammar or such like, but one I posted about a BBC investigation into the run up to Iraq War received so many no votes within 10 minutes, it nearly got snuffed.

Fortunately, the crowd rallied on that one to save it, but it got to -9 before it went back up again!

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
Maybe a short compliment/ complaint should be included with the vote. Just a thought.

If we do this, you can show the mods if someone voted no without a ligit complaint. They could then destroy those no votes that werent ligit? Does this sound like it would work?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

If we do this, you can show the mods if someone voted no without a ligit complaint. They could then destroy those no votes that werent ligit? Does this sound like it would work?

That would be better, as any "No" voters who where doing for...ahem....political reasons would have to put some effort into justifying their vote.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The problem is getting people to put the effort into actually writing a short one sentance responce. The board would get complaints about this.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer

I think that could be a good idea, but may require more programming changes than the powers that be want to make. I do believe SO said that there were going to be some changes coming that have yet to be announced.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
so...

SO did not here my call

members are voting JUST for the points and they do not even read the submission...

is this fair???

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yes I think that when you vote points should be deducted not added(say spend 10 points per vote etc). Make people think twice about what they are going to vote

blah wiki formats are better IMHO.

[edit on 26-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
You know the voting system is not perfect but it works.

All you have to do is put in a submission.

Most actually read the item before voting.. As in any democratic system how voting goes depends on many things.. However if you post a really good submission in ATSNN.. something that stands out.. It will be voted to an upgraded status on the main page of ATSNN where EVERYONE with a search engine can find it.. Look at the page views in ATSNN.. the numbers don't lie.. Thousands read ATSNN reports everyday.

Get yours in and see what happens yourself.

ATSNN is a part of this community.. and as always it is a work in progress.

It will get even better.. In fact I believe the best of ATSNN has yet to be seen.

It is YOU.. all of the members here that will have ultimate say in that.. Through both voting on and contributing submissions... The sky is the limit.

Watch out FOX... CNN... MSNBC.. and all the others.

The best evolving internet news source is knocking on the door.. and may soon knock you out of the top.

Of course it is up to all of you!!

So.. where is the party??

Are we having some fun here yet?

Gazz

[edit on 26-3-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Look at the page views in ATSNN.. the numbers don't lie..

Yup! I totally love it when I submit a story get like 1 or 2 replies and have over a thousand view it. Gotta love that Ratio

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
After three years, Google News is still in BETA... ATSNN is barely 15 months old.

Top men in their field are currently working on this right now. The goal, as always with the new system, will be to find a way where the members of this community drive the content of a news portal with a focus on the current events that inspire our core topics -- conspiracies and other alternative subjects.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Cool. It seems like you guys are ontop of things. I will become a little less concerned.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
*agrees with Gazz, SO*

I love the system. People vote for points, we knew this would happen. The main point is that most people read the news and vote accordingly. As DJ said, a "No" vote takes considerably less time, but you're still taking the full time to read the article. I absolutely love the idea.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Don't feel left out, my own stories get snuffed quickly, despite their content or newsworthyness....

Heres my latest attempt:

Child Raped In Her Own Home

I am so sorry I didn't even saw that one, I would have voted for you.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I agree totally. At one point I'm at negative 5 and about 3 seconds later im posittive 4.... bizarre...

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A few weeks back I was on ATS & reading and often while I'm on the computer I have the radio & or tv on and I usually have some munchies & a drink close by. I was moving my driink & mouse & suddenly my screen saiad I just voted for someones post. Yep, it was an accident, but no big deal & probably made the guys day even though I didn't like what he had to say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join