It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN voting system is seriously flawed...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
ATS members also spam, flame, and call each other names.

The large majority of the people who go to ATSNN are devoted members who are willing to spend an extra 20 seconds MAX reading an article. A few bad eggs doesn't mean the whole thing-of-eggs is ruined.

Although, I don't disagree that it's worth it to make a point of it. I want my full dozen!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think you miss my points.. Yes it is possible for someone to vote.. Perhaps they vote just to vote.. or maybe the just read the title and voted based on that.. However the vast majority of votes is what counts in the end.. That is where the community comes in.. Look at what is upgraded and what is not.

To me this shows a system that is working!

Remember there is no such thing as a perfect voting system.

But don't underestimate the majority of ATS members who vote in ATSNN.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
I think you miss my points.. Yes it is possible for someone to vote.. Perhaps they vote just to vote.. or maybe the just read the title and voted based on that.. However the vast majority of votes is what counts in the end.. That is where the community comes in.. Look at what is upgraded and what is not.

To me this shows a system that is working!

Remember there is no such thing as a perfect voting system.

But don't underestimate the majority of ATS members who vote in ATSNN.

right...

make no mistake, i love the ATSNN and the way it gives members a chance to share their news with the world...

and you are right...

its not perfect...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
He didnt say it was flawed. You are always complaining, if you want something, come with something. There is a suggestion box, click it. We dont want and are tired of seeing you cry like a baby just to be seen.

That was uncalled for.
Wether or not the system is flawed is up for discussion, so just for that making a thread like this allready makes sense.
It's bad enough you don't really get it, telling him "we" are tired of seeing him cry like a baby is just beyond rude.

You should have gotten the warnings, and not him, provoking people like this. It's called trolling.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Bottom line there is nothing to support your so called "Facts".. other than pure speculation on your part.

As proven by the experiences of they see all, people *sometimes* vote for points. How often this happens is not known.
It seems common sense to expect a lot of members to be voting for points, especially the newer ones.

I think it's somewhat naiv to have this kind of trust in a community that has abused several other ATS-point related systems in the past.
I am not saying it's a bad community, I am just saying that there are a lot of people in it that will be willing to get points one way or another.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
What's happening with the votes system, you can vote but can't see how many 'yes' and 'no''s there are. This is intentional I presume?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I thought I was in the minority when everyone was ranting and raving about how great this new system was supposed to be.

Frankly I think its a little PERVERSE to vote on what news it worthy of reading and commenting on and what isn't.

It's a lot like burying your head in the sand... or passing the buck of proofing a story to the everyday reader before accepting the story into the board.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
What's happening with the votes system, you can vote but can't see how many 'yes' and 'no''s there are. This is intentional I presume?

It seems to be working fine.

Or maybe its not. lol

[edit on 29-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
Frankly I think its a little PERVERSE to vote on what news it worthy of reading and commenting on and what isn't.

It's a lot like burying your head in the sand... or passing the buck of proofing a story to the everyday reader before accepting the story into the board.

This particular issue has been addressed a few times before. One of the reasons the voting system was introduced was to put the power of judging what is and isn't [operative word here]--> newsworthy into the hands of ATS members. It produces ATS community-moulded content for ATSNN, whilst (ideally) filtering out news that is unimportant or not conspiracy-related.

However, articles that are voted down are still not censored or deleted, they are simply not upgraded to the ATSNN portion of the website. The articles are still kept in ATS, free for every man and his dog to read and comment on. Also, in order for members to vote against the article, it must first be read, no? Thus you kind of have to take your proverbial head out of the sand to read it in the first place.

[edit on 2005/3/29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Maybe the author of the ATSNN Article should be able to see how many 'yes' and 'no's there are.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
For my own part, I tend to not vote 'yes/no' based on the content, rather I look quickly to see what the sources are, and how many if any supporting links are given. I try to view and vote on as many as I can.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

That was uncalled for.
Wether or not the system is flawed is up for discussion, so just for that making a thread like this allready makes sense.
It's bad enough you don't really get it, telling him "we" are tired of seeing him cry like a baby is just beyond rude.

You should have gotten the warnings, and not him, provoking people like this. It's called trolling.

thank you...

but it is over now...

i lost 500 ATS points (i got 2 warnings for some reason) and this is nothing...

i still have more than 50,000 ATS points than him

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
"UPDATE"...

i just noticed that when you vote, it does not tell you how many votes the submission has thus far...

this is a GREAT step forward...

also, when you vote, you do not get 5 ATS points any more...

this is also GREAT...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yes it is very good, only thing i'd say is that the author should be able to see how many votes they have.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
RE:points
I have a prediction to make here.
I think without the points incentive, voting will gradually taper off to a few dedicated members and some who may vote from time to time.
It will be harder and harder to get the desired number to make or break a news story. Eventually, the story won't be news any more because it will take too long to get enough votes.
Human nature being what it is, we like to get a little incentive for doing things. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I haven't read this entire thread so I don't even know what the fuss is about or who thinks points-for-voting is a bad idea.
Is it so different than the points ATS has awarded members in the past for answering mass emails?
I think small tokens is a valid way to get people to participate...heck, it's like the American way.

If there was a motion to return the points for voting system, I would support it wholeheartedly. Some members here would like to get more points and DON'T want to just post any old junk. What harm was there...really?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
BTW, so as not to clutter my op/ed with other info:

I think it's a great idea to NOT show how many votes an article has. Keeps us honest. It makes it harder for us to vote mainstream.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
*reads*

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I think without the points incentive, voting will gradually taper off to a few dedicated members and some who may vote from time to time.

I think we've seen this. Some new actions put into play have helped, but I agree, and it HAS happened as far as I can tell.[/quote[

It will be harder and harder to get the desired number to make or break a news story. Eventually, the story won't be news any more because it will take too long to get enough votes.

Sort of. Yes, it has been, there have been submissions around for longer, but the required number has been changed, so it's more likely.

I have no real problem with the incentive program, except that there were a number of bad eggs, people who would vote way too fast, without thinking or reading. And that just isn't worth it. The point number could be moved to something insignificant, like 1 or 2, just to see some sort of fruits, even if they're blueberries instead of apples, but the issue still stands.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
RE:points
I have a prediction to make here.
Human nature being what it is, we like to get a little incentive for doing things. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I haven't read this entire thread so I don't even know what the fuss is about or who thinks points-for-voting is a bad idea.
Is it so different than the points ATS has awarded members in the past for answering mass emails?
I think small tokens is a valid way to get people to participate...heck, it's like the American way.

If there was a motion to return the points for voting system, I would support it wholeheartedly. Some members here would like to get more points and DON'T want to just post any old junk. What harm was there...really?

i know i stopped voting

i try to but its hard when you dont get a reward for it

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i know i stopped voting

i try to but its hard when you dont get a reward for it

Oh now that's cold. BAD they see ALL, bad!

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Oh now that's cold. BAD they see ALL, bad!

you mean this???

i have better things to do...

like the st. malachy prophecy...

or the secret society research project...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join