It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead pixels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:03 AM
link   
There's a black splodge on my computer screen just higher than and to left of centre. It's about 2cm wide. Been there a good 6 months. It's changed slightly with time, now less dense but wider than it was when it first appeared.

I googled this and it's called dead pixels. News to me. Never had the problem before.

What do I do, do I leave it and hope it eventually disperses? Take it in to be fixed?

Or is there something I can do to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

More information please on the screen?

Dead pixels are dead, there is no resurrection for them.

P

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It's a laptop. Was that what you meant?

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Older screens you were sometimes able to "massage" pixels back to life.
Not had any luck with that in recent years though.
Depending on the laptop make and model, replacement LCD panels are fairly cheap and easy to fit in most cases.
One note, before you order one, remove the existing screen and check the part number and cable locations. Some product lines have been known to site cables in different locations on the same model.
Happy to chat on DM if you have any questions.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Yes, I tried the massage thing and no joy.

Apparently dead pixels sometimes go away over time but I'll probably take it in to be fixed.

Thank Cymru. Appreciate your help.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 04:29 AM
link   
LCD , LED , ?
Those don't have "dead pixels"
Is it completely dead , or does it kinda look like a dark fog ?
If it looks like a dark fog , you may just have to take a very soft cloth , apply a little pressure above the spot and slowly pull down with the cloth .
Or , was that what you meant by "massaging" ?
edit on 6/9/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Send me the make/model and I'll find a panel.
If you are handy with a screwdriver they are easy to fit and will save you the labour charge

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Some pics might be nice so we can see for ourselves to help make a decision.

If its just a few pixels or 1 try tapping it gently and it may come back to life, if that's what's wrong, very gently mind you or you may make the problem worse.

You could also try the likes of LCD Pixel Fixer or other software that may be able to help.

Unfortunately through, we cannot fix a dead pixel, so lets hope they are simply stuck.
edit on 9-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Depending on the laptop make and model, replacement LCD panels are fairly cheap and easy to fit in most cases.

My experience has been the exact opposite, but I'm all ears!

I guess maybe if you factor in the value of the data on the machine and the difficulty factor of transferring it you might have a case, but every time I've looked into screen replacement for a laptop the replacement screen costed more than buying a new laptop. Admittedly though, I haven't looked into this recently. However, with all the new touch screen and 2-in-1 technology out there now I would think it even more expensive.

edit on 6/9/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

"My experience has been the exact opposite"

Ile tell you one thing, ive got a ASUS 4K 27" monitor with a bashed screen that will testify to that. LoL

Not a lap top all the same but i could not find a replacement screen for the life of me, and when i did find 1, just 1 mind you, they did not ship to the UK.

Never mind wanted about £480 for the second hand replacement screen when the monitor only set me back about £500 notes. LoL

Anybody kens where i can pick up a screen for a ASUS MG28UQ let me know eh, coz its just sitting up there gathering dust, and it would make a half decent 3rd screen.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Now a days ...just get a new 1.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Or RMA the mofo if thats at all possible.

Thing is sometimes they can suggest 1 dead pixel don't constitute a replacement.

Which i find completely unacceptable since most people would never purchase a device that's not perfect, certainly not for the rsp.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Expensive kit = expensive spares.

Am older laptop LCD will come in waaaaaay cheaper.

Actually , ASUS MG28UQ 28 inch 4K Gaming Monitor

And @Flyingclaydisk, you can pop out the HDD/SSD and slave to a working machine with an £8 caddy.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Expensive i agree.

Its just the screen im after.

Found one now, but price is still more than the actual monitor retails.

Its been replaced now all the same with a 32" LG 1440p 165hz affair, which in my opinion is a better sweet spot for my set up than the 4K 60hz capabilities of the ASUS MG28UQ.

Cheers for the input all the same.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:17 AM
link   

More than welcome Butty.
Saves be doing my day job

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Yeah, I know how to do it (easily), but my point was many will not.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: pheonix358

It's a laptop. Was that what you meant?

There used to be a utility you could download and run to 'exercise' the pixels that would sometimes resurrect them for a while, but this usually means the screen is going bad.

You can work around it by buying an external monitor, but unless the laptop is under warranty, your only real option is a new laptop.

Sorry...

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Its not that. What do they say? Comptrs, phones, tabs...all get tech'd up every six months...and yours aint new no more.

Yet we spend more years trying to match up w tech, upgrades, securities...w a what was once new tech...now last years ..new to us still...but hardly.

Yow many updates has a comp gone thru since you got it?

And we still...attempt to maintain in a tech world remaining constantly evolving.

We cant forever...so ..for me? New l.top every 4 yrs, phone, sooner. P.C. home...as long as it works!
edit on 9-6-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Which computer. LoL

There are currently 3 PC towers and a laptop in this house, my own, the boys, my Mrs and my daughters.

A right good few hardware updates and tick tock cycles is the answer to that question.

I dont use a laptop, hate the things, but for me ile upgrade GPU/CPU every cycle or so, phone every 2 years down to contracts, about 5 of those dont get me started, then there are TVs.

Life is expensive, and so are weans, but if im honest it keeps me off the hard drugs.

It is what is its i suppose, im a good little consumer. LoL

edit on 9-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Who can afford hard drugs with a Family???
I stick to single malt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join