It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Californians Have Legal Protection from Having to Show Vaccination Cards?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So, I was checking out a local news story about Trader Joe's lifting their mask mandate for people who are fully vaccinated, and it got me to thinking about anti-discrimination laws that exist, and how they apply to private businesses. To me and my legal-minded thinking, it just really seems that (A) a private company being able to demand private health information seems questionable at best, and (B) it seems very discriminatory to allow only a certain group of people to be massless based on medical information while others must be masked.

I did a little digging, and I discovered California's Unruh Civil Rights Act.

Discrimination at Business Establishments

California’s Unruh Civil Rights Act protects those with the characteristics listed in the section “What is protected?” from discrimination or harassment by business establishments. This law requires both public and private businesses to provide individuals “full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges or services.” It applies to housing and public accommodations as well as to establishments such as stores, restaurants, barber shops, among others.

(underlined italics my emphasis) Interestingly, the page opens to examples of 'what discrimination looks like, and it includes this example:

A doctor refuses to treat a patient who has been diagnosed as HIV positive

"Hmmmm...," I thought to myself, so I check out the "What is Protected" page, and lo and behold:

California law protects individuals from illegal discrimination by a business establishment based on the following:

Medical condition

Now let's do a little math and put two and two together and get something between 3.9 and 4.1--So, a private-practice doctor cannot refuse to provide "full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges or services" to someone with AIDS. Let's assume that one reason that a doctor wouldn't want to treat a patient with such a virus was because they may be concerned about infecting themselves or the safety of their staff and patients. Yet, here we are, with our state government saying that they cannot discriminate, even if the motivation is for the safety of their employees and other people in the building.

Why would that not also apply in this situation? Why would it be okay to discriminate by, say, a grocery store refusing to provide "full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges or services" to someone without a vaccination card based on the foundation that they're trying to keep their employees and other people in the building safe from an infectious disease?

This absolutely is an apples-to-apples comparison, except that it's even LESS of a concern in the grocery-store example because we must assume that social-distancing is still a thing that that the customer without a vaccination card would not be having direct contact with anyone.

So what says you, ATS? I see this issue coming to a head VERY soon as companies start doing these selective accommodations as the CDC keeps revising this stuff. I definitely see some businesses doing the wrong things and being sued over it, which won't be cheap.

My personal opinion is that businesses still either need to mandate masks across the board, or lift them for vaccinated people, but not inquire into medical information to prove it. Anything other than those two options seems like a recipe for a discrimination lawsuit that I don't think any private business, large or small, want to pay for or have splashed all over social media and the news.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I remember having to show my vaccination card to prove I had been vaccinated against the measles just to enter a McDonalds store

Oh wait, no I don’t. Because that never happened. Even though the measles is an actual thing and people can actually become very ill from that infliction.

There is ZERO virus, disease or sickness that exists that you have to ‘prove’ your vaccination against

ZERO

And on the list of ‘most deadly’, the China virus rates VERY VERY LOW

Imagine being so thick that you’d agree with people having to prove vaccination status for one of the least dangerous, least contagious and least prevalent virus’ but not for ALL others
edit on 14 5 2021 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I thought they were just using the honor system.

Trusting that the evil non-vaccinated people will be honest enough to wear their masks.

edit on 5/14/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I would like to see what happens when people just stop going to stores that have practices they don't agree with.

I believe they will come around pretty quickly, when they start feeling the effect in their bank accounts.

I don't have a problem with wearing a mask, but I would not patronize an establishment that refuses to allow people to enter if they do not want to provide a vaccination ID.

Notice the government keeps saying there will never be a government vaccine passport ID mandate, but they will not intervene when the private sector is allowed to do the dirty work. I have no respect for the government's involvement, or lack of involvement, or the company that does the backroom dirty work.

I am in Florida, so I don't think any business is going to try to require vaccine passports. DeSantis has spoken very strongly against them.

Governo r Ron DeSantis Signs Landmark Legislation to Ban Vaccine Passports and Stem Government Overreach

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I don't care if the unvaccinated don't wear a mask.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Blacks aren’t getting the vaccine.

RACIST!

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:44 PM
link   

This should apply to airlines as well, shouldn’t it? So airlines operating in CA should not be able to mandate that their customers prove vaccination or wear masks, right?

Unfortunately, I don’t think businesses are going to have to worry about lawsuits for discriminating against massless or un-“vaccinated” people, because too much of the public has been totally brainwashed and the rest are without spines.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: iwanttobelieve70
Blacks aren’t getting the vaccine.

RACIST!

*sigh*

That made me laugh harder than it should have lol

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

This should apply to airlines as well, shouldn’t it? So airlines operating in CA should not be able to mandate that their customers prove vaccination or wear masks, right?

That's a good question, and my initial answer would be no, because the state or local government that owns the airport gives security oversight to federal agencies, and considering that airports are a big part of interstate commerce, the federal government does have more oversight as to these types of issues.

Of course, I would like to say that you're correct and it should be that way, but unfortunately, I don't think that it is.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Yes, we are evil. Especially me, because I'm not getting the vaccine because I have naturally-produced antibodies and memory B cells from actually having the virus.

And I absolutely will not wear a mask in stores that allow it for people supposedly immune to spreading the illness, because I would challenge my immunity against a vaccine's immunity any day of the week.

"Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me...for ME...FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Another thing that my wife pointed out: These anti-discrimination laws also protect against age discrimination, and since this vaccine has only been approved for ages 12+, not a single child under 11 would be able to go maskless in one of these situations.

That's blatant discrimination, too, because kids can't change that reality, nor can their parents.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Wow the last time I check we have laws protecting citizens for the privacy of their medical records, you know "laws" is pass by congress and sign by a president.

So if I was you I do not even bother with this mask think I have not been bothered by that since last year, but then again I live in a Republican state.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yeah, I'm just a principled man, especially when it comes to private-property rights, so I tend to honor what the owner of a business asks me to do if I willingly want to be a customer in their store.

That said, I have already told my wife that I will not expect me, nor any of our family, to wear a mask in any place that decides to discriminate against people who can't prove that they don't have a vaccination.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I started to do that, last year when our state started to lax the mask wearing, still allowing business to make up their own rules, how I fought that, I avoided any business that had a sign at the door requiring mask, we had also many business that from the beginning posted that they would not enforce mask requirements of any kind.

I walk into places now and you find those with mask and those without it, still once in while you have somebody that will offer a mask or some hand sanitizer, I just say no thank you. We really never have many issues about mask mandates in my state, but I know that many other states were anal about that.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Do Californians Have Legal Protection from Having to Show Vaccination Cards?

All people have a moral imperitive to take thoise questions and shove them up their asses.

In my humble opinion.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I've seen several guidelines out out for local businesses here in Tennessee, it says that employees can ask patrons if they have been vaccinated, but can't ask anything further as it can lead to a violation of HIPAA, and that they can't kick people out for refusing to wear a mask.

So, what's the point of even asking people if they've been vaccinated? There is none.

If someone were to ask me if I've been vaccinated I'll just respond that I have been. The can't ask if someone has been "Covid vaccinated," so I wouldn't be lying.

Sure, I've been vaccinated for all kinds of things. I've never had a flu shot, and I'm not getting the covid shot.

Deal. With. It.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If the maskies and pro-government vaxxies are all for this, would they be the ones to mandates people who are positive with AIDS to have identification to show the public?

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, it's called "Kiss my ass." Even if I was vaccinated I wouldn't show anyone anything. People get off on having vaccine card like it's some kind of participation trophy.

If I ever meet someone in person showing off their card I'm going to pat them on the head and say something like "Good job little buddy. Want a cookie?"

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Apparently virtue signalling is more contageous than the Chinese Koff-koff.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
I've seen several guidelines out out for local businesses here in Tennessee, it says that employees can ask patrons if they have been vaccinated, but can't ask anything further as it can lead to a violation of HIPAA, and that they can't kick people out for refusing to wear a mask.

So, what's the point of even asking people if they've been vaccinated? There is none.
Well, the simple fact that they are asking, they know that is enough to scare at least some un-vaccinated people into wearing a mask, if they were maybe already 'on the fence' about whether or not they were going to wear one.

If someone were to ask me if I've been vaccinated I'll just respond that I have been. The can't ask if someone has been "Covid vaccinated," so I wouldn't be lying.

Sure, I've been vaccinated for all kinds of things....
A very good point.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join