It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food: Is it acceptable sometimes or no?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I made a point to get a mcrib for nostalgia..

I don't think once in a while is bad.

I guess ordering a McRib for the McSh*ts once in a while for nostalgia isn't too bad?

More power to ya.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: JamesChessman

No, fast food, regardless of eating only the best offerings on the menu, is never a good thing to do.

One big reason.......it's all loaded with complex salt compounds to keep it fresh for months as it moves throgh the manufacturing process to the warehouse to the truck to your local outlet. You might just as well ingest brine.

Thanks, I normally don’t limit my salt generally... but the fast food habit has clearly been bad for me. I think it’s gotta be something bad about the cooking oil, etc.

Whereas I normally consume tons of olive oil and salt, so it’s not the food type, that’s the problem (oil / fat, salt), so it’s gotta be some kinda poisonous oil...

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: JamesChessman
a reply to: tanstaafl
See but it’s in that context of deliberately starving and cleansing occasionally, so it makes sense in THIS context. Whereas I usually don’t believe that the “no carbs” people really understand wtf they’re talking about lol.

Anyway I think the longest I’ve done such mostly-fasting like that, is for nearly a week, maybe 5 or 6 days, I slimmed down, cleansed the hell out so I felt healthy and clean.

I was even feeling buzzed from it lol. Tingling hands but I promise I was still healthy lol. I was staying hydrated and making my body burn off my fat, it can feel amazing.

You should try a real super cleansing semi-fast then...

Combine spirulina and chlorella+CGF for your drinks, add a pinch of good quality salt, and drink 3 or 4 of those a day.

Haha thanks! I remember that guy mentioned that in those YouTube commercials so I figured I’d check it out sometime.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

How much weight did u lose in the 33 day water fast?!

Not that much actually, maybe 20 or 30 lbs.

I lost double that easily in the first month of intermittent fasting/OMAD. Took me about 3 1/2 months to lose about 85 lbs, and then it slowed to a crawl, maybe 10 lbs in the next 4 or 5 months, then it got even slower.

I'm getting ready to implement a series of 48 and 72 hour fasts (the last 24 hours of each will be dry, not even any water) to speed up losing the loose flab that is left over from losing all of the weight. It is still coming off sloooowly, but I'm getting impatient. Oh - and the dry fast is what works the magic for eliminating the loose skin.

That sounds amazing, I never heard of anyone really doing a water only fast for 33 days.

I haven’t been so overweight to deal with that myself but I’m amazed to hear that anyone did that.

I did that described mostly-fasting for like six days and my hands were tingling so I can’t really imagine how u felt!

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   

The second you eat any calories, you break your fast. What you were doing was 'caloric restriction' - which also has its place and purpose - think epigenetics/life extension - but serious long term weight loss is not one of them. This is a massive point about fasting that you really have to completely grok in your bones. Until you do, you won't understand fasting.

^Ok, I don’t want misunderstandings, so to be clear, I was simply talking about very short term weight loss (when I described my mostly-fasting for several days).

So I completely agree that it’s not about serious long term weight loss.

(In my personal case, I do such-mostly fasting sometimes if I feel like I need to cleanse, and if I want to force some fast short term weight loss.)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:57 PM
link   

There is no such thing as a 'juice fast', or a 'salad fast'. There are two kinds of fasting... water fasting (you consume only water or other liquids completely devoid of any calories, like black coffee), or dry fasting (no foods, no liquids either, absolutely nothing). Dry fasting is an excellent tool for shrinking and tightening loose skin - especially the kind of loose skin one will have after losing a lot of weight they've been carrying for years quickly doing intermittent fasting.

^
Thanks well I mean... I think it’s mostly just important that we just understand these basic concepts, and apply them effectively...

And I think each person has their own individual needs that are unique...

And it’s been a long time since I did it, but for me, my near week of mostly fasting, was effective for cleansing out, and slimming down, and feeling great.

But I also wouldn’t want to argue about the semantics of it lol. Myself I just call it mostly-fasting, when I do that.

...I wouldn’t expect salad to do much but “keep things moving,” so to speak, and maybe a tiny bit of nutrition.

And then also, I want a bit of protein so I don’t lose muscle, which of course goes back to my past life of a wrestler lol, but um, I still don’t want to lose muscle...

However I have mostly missed out on the real fasting, of only water, so I’ll admit that I don’t have a ton of experience with that specifically.

Maybe I’m missing out without really knowing it yet lol.

However I do love green tea etc. so I could certainly swing it for a longer real fast if I focused on only water and tea, etc.

Although... I wouldn’t want to go extremely long without at least a bit of protein, of some kind, even if it was the only one thing I was still consuming...

edit on 3-5-2021 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

Thank You Ser,

Your waivering blessing is taken with all the gravitas and reverence it deserves.

Sincerely,
~meathead

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

That sounds amazing, I never heard of anyone really doing a water only fast for 33 days.

Heh... the most extreme case I'm aware of is...

One year and 17 days.

I haven’t been so overweight to deal with that myself but I’m amazed to hear that anyone did that.

Actually, there are many other benefits to extended fasting than weight loss.

But...

I did that described mostly-fasting for like six days and my hands were tingling so I can’t really imagine how u felt!

You also have to simply understand - 'mostly-fasting' is not fasting, it is extreme caloric restriction, and causes dramatically different reactions in the body - so, not even remotely similar to a real fast.

That said, extended fasts of more than 2 or 3 days should only be engaged in by someone who has studied it, knows the different kinds of things to expect, and most importantly warning signs that their body may not be ready for it and they should break the fast.

Also, breaking the fast properly is one of the most important things to understand, because breaking it badly can undo a lot of the benefits you may have achieved.

Start with the links I provided, and find some good books on fasting that are up to date on the most recent knowledge. There are a lot of older books on fasting that are just full of the authors opinions, and the informati8on is just plain bad/wrong.

I don't have any specific ones to recommend, but if I was looking for one, it would be one that is recommended by one of the doctors I linked to (Dr Fung, Dr Baker, Dr Saladino, Dr Berry, etc)...

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I think it’s mostly just important that we just understand these basic concepts, and apply them effectively...

And I think each person has their own individual needs that are unique...

Exactly, and I'd go so far as to say this is the most important principle that each and every person should strive to understand and own if the goal is to take back ownership of your own body and health.

No one knows your own uniqueness better than you.

... And then also, I want a bit of protein so I don’t lose muscle, which of course goes back to my past life of a wrestler lol, but um, I still don’t want to lose muscle...

Yes, protein loss is the most serious concern with respect to longer extended fasts (more than 72 hours) - but not so much with shorter fasts (24, 48 or 72 hours). You do not want to get to the point your body is truly starving itself (consuming your muscle tissue to survive).

However I have mostly missed out on the real fasting, of only water, so I’ll admit that I don’t have a ton of experience with that specifically.

Maybe I’m missing out without really knowing it yet lol.

You are definitely missing out, but it looks like you are now on your way to experiencing it, so do yourself a massive favor and keep going!

However I do love green tea etc. so I could certainly swing it for a longer real fast if I focused on only water and tea, etc.

While the dictionary definition of fasting says that any - even one - calorie will technically break your fast, exactly how many calories will break your fast is up for debate - but there is even more to consider.

What is your goal? What are you trying to achieve by fasting? If it is maximizing weight loss or autophagy, you'll want to be much more strict about the calories you consume during your fasting window. But if your goal is general cleansing and detoxing, you can be less strict. There is a general consensus that 50 calories is the trigger (here is a good article discussing this subject), but there is no study that proves this one way or another, and I believe that it would vary from person to person anyway.

I'm a purist myself, but I understand that not everyone is as strict as I am...

Black coffee (fresh ground from organic/high quality beans) has ZERO calories. It is the only thing I consume other than water during my fasting window.

Plain (green, black, oolong and white) tea has about 2-3 calories per cup (6-8 ounces), so, shouldn't break your fast in small amounts.

Great conversation, thanks for engaging!

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   

The fast food habit is no accident. It has to do with additives that both increase the flavor and increase the appetite. No sooner than you eat the stuff than your hungry an hour later and over time you come to crave the taste. Some of it is due to MSG which makes Chinese food taste better than it would. Most Chinese restaurants get their servings of Kung Pow Chicken and such from big food processors. It comes in big plastic containers from the food processors warehouse where its been store, sometimes up to six months. Its unloaded in the wee hours of the morning off the back end of delivery trucks like slop in a bucket. They ladle the crap out onto the cafeteria style all you can eat bar where its warmed up in time for the lunch crowd.

There are other flavor enhancers used by the Buger and Chicken chains in addition to the MSG.

Its all crap.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The fast food habit is no accident. It has to do with additives that both increase the flavor and increase the appetite. No sooner than you eat the stuff than your hungry an hour later and over time you come to crave the taste. Some of it is due to MSG which makes Chinese food taste better than it would. Most Chinese restaurants get their servings of Kung Pow Chicken and such from big food processors. It comes in big plastic containers from the food processors warehouse where its been store, sometimes up to six months. Its unloaded in the wee hours of the morning off the back end of delivery trucks like slop in a bucket. They ladle the crap out onto the cafeteria style all you can eat bar where its warmed up in time for the lunch crowd.

There are other flavor enhancers used by the Buger and Chicken chains in addition to the MSG.

Its all crap.

That is the understatement of the year...

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Heh... the most extreme case I'm aware of is... One year and 17 days.

^That’s amazing! But also I think these examples of extremely long term fasting are pretty specific to... extreme obesity, as the context...

But wow, I never heard of that!!

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You also have to simply understand - 'mostly-fasting' is not fasting, it is extreme caloric restriction, and causes dramatically different reactions in the body - so, not even remotely similar to a real fast. That said, extended fasts of more than 2 or 3 days should only be engaged in by someone who has studied it, knows the different kinds of things to expect, and most importantly warning signs that their body may not be ready for it and they should break the fast. Also, breaking the fast properly is one of the most important things to understand, because breaking it badly can undo a lot of the benefits you may have achieved. Start with the links I provided, and find some good books on fasting that are up to date on the most recent knowledge. There are a lot of older books on fasting that are just full of the authors opinions, and the informati8on is just plain bad/wrong. I don't have any specific ones to recommend, but if I was looking for one, it would be one that is recommended by one of the doctors I linked to (Dr Fung, Dr Baker, Dr Saladino, Dr Berry, etc)...

^Thanks, I didn’t explain it but I’m not completely unfamiliar with real legit fasting too... though I just haven’t focused on it specifically, very much (as I’d typically rather keep eating a small bit of protein at the very least... and salad certainly keeps the digestive system running a bit, with almost no calories).

However I’ve also probably spent many single days that I just happened to consume nothing but fluids, all day, because it’s something that feels natural to me sometimes. Especially that I always drank tons of water and I love green tea.

Also thanks for clarifying that tea has a few calories to it, though I don’t think I’d really avoid it for its actual calories... as it’s almost nonexistent, while i really love tea.

So if I was going to make a point of legit water only fasting... then I’d probably greatly prefer to drink green tea all day lol and try to get buzzed out of my skull from it, if possible lol. (I assume you know that green tea can feel great as a drug, but most people don’t seem to know that lol.)

Plus I know that tea is cleansing obviously, and I’ve heard of traditional fasting methods that include tea. (IIRC the Native Americans used to fast with only green tea, and they’d drink it till they puked on purpose... though I’m not sure if there’s definitely true, but I believe I’ve heard that in the past.)

On the other hand, fasting with literally only water... would FEEL completely different to me (compared to tea).

So I might make a point of doing that, both with tea, and without tea, because it would be a completely different experience to me.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Great conversation, thanks for engaging!

Thank you for the conversation!

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Its all crap.

Thanks!

It’s actually funny how things worked out, my car died a couple weeks ago so I’ve been forced out of fast food habit.

I’m convinced it was making me poisoned. And bloated / swollen.

I’ve been focused on trying to cleanse the f*ck out, by drinking tons of fluids. Water, coffee, tea. It’s obviously cleansing but I feel loaded up with toxins that still need to be cleansed.

The goddam cooking oil must be poison. Because really why else would French fries be poison lol.

I got swollen in the grossest way possible. And I got the hugest, most disgusting spot of acne in one place that I won’t describe, but it’s thankfully not on my face, but it’s like the single worst spot of acne I’ve ever had in my life.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Btw I’m seeing a few typos but f*ck it, I’m still on my damn iPhone and it’s just simply unpleasant and awkward to type this way, and to use the web in general.

But I wanted to explain more that I’m basically convinced that it’s the cooking oil that is the poison.

I’m convinced it’s the swolleness, all over my body.

As context that I briefly already mentioned earlier: I practically live on olive oil, normally, which is tons of fat and calories etc. but it’s also pretty much the healthiest thing in the world, imo.

So I’m the last person who’s against oils / fats / calories.

But also, I’m convinced that it was the BAD quality oil that poisoned me, from both McD’s and BK.

It’s absolutely a completely different thing. Although it’s all called the same word “oil,” it’s really absolutely different stuff altogether.

I also never checked exactly what the hell they actually put in their oil in each place.

But I think I can feel and see that the oil seems the obvious poison that bloated my body and gave me the single worst spot of acne, of my life lol.

Along these lines, it also makes sense imo because I don’t consider oil from animal fat, to be healthy, and I think it might be the main problem here lol.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Heh... the most extreme case I'm aware of is... One year and 17 days.

^That’s amazing! But also I think these examples of extremely long term fasting are pretty specific to... extreme obesity, as the context...

Yes, absolutely, the body has to have something to use for sustenance.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I’m basically convinced that it’s the cooking oil that is the poison.

I’m convinced it’s the swolleness, all over my body.

As context that I briefly already mentioned earlier: I practically live on olive oil, normally, which is tons of fat and calories etc. but it’s also pretty much the healthiest thing in the world, imo.

Well... I guess I'd have to ask, what exactly do you mean by 'practically live on'? How much olive oil per day do you ingest?

You do realize that too much of a good thing can be ... well... not a good thing.

But also, I’m convinced that it was the BAD quality oil that poisoned me, from both McD’s and BK.

Could be, but again, it depends on how much... of each...

Along these lines, it also makes sense imo because I don’t consider oil from animal fat, to be healthy, and I think it might be the main problem here lol.

Not at all, the opposite in fact. Animal fats, from healthy, pasture raised and humanely treated animals - is a marvelous health food. Tallow, lard, butter, ghee - amazing health foods.

Do you want to talk superfoods? Organ meats - again, from healthy, pasture raised humanely treated animals - beat by many orders of magnitude, any so called plant based superfoods, by many country miles.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Well... I guess I'd have to ask, what exactly do you mean by 'practically live on'? How much olive oil per day do you ingest? You do realize that too much of a good thing can be ... well... not a good thing.

Lol!! Thanks but I find it a very funny response lol.

But I mean olive oil is basically one of my main food items, everyday, and it already has been that way for literally my entire life lol. Which is probably why ur concern seems so funny to me, but anyway thanks for the concern, but my olive oil consumption is simply not something I’m probably ever going to consider a problem. Even if it was a problem hypothetically, even then I could think of probably dozens of different health aspects to focus on before I’d ever get around to second guessing my massive consumption of olive oil.

I just love the stuff and it feels awesome to eat it.

I guess it’s just so funny to think about because it’s been literally my entire life, every single day lol, I probably consume at least a measuring cup of olive oil, every single day of my 39 years lol.

I mean I consume it with most food that I eat.

Last night I ate a random snack of a couple cans of corn (and it’s in the theme of cleansing my body).

So that’s corn with salt and pepper and olive oil lol.

Aside from trying to eat cleansing stuff like that, I often make pasta doused in oil, of course lol.

I’m Italian and Sicilian. And it’s how we eat, and it’s awesome, there is nothing like some beautiful gold or green olive oil.

Also this is why we get called “greasy,” for example, “greasy degos,” no offense to anyone, it’s just one of our slurs and it’s because we are always oozing with olive lol.

I think it’s all common knowledge but maybe not, lol

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Glad I could provide a little levity...

I guess it’s just so funny to think about because it’s been literally my entire life, every single day lol, I probably consume at least a measuring cup of olive oil, every single day of my 39 years lol.

Ok, that's not soooo bad... it's a lot, but...

Last night I ate a random snack of a couple cans of corn (and it’s in the theme of cleansing my body).

Canned... corn... ? Probably one of the worst snack you could eat - well, maybe, except for a bowl of Sugar Smacks, or Cap'n Crunch.

Aside from trying to eat cleansing stuff like that,

Corn... cleansing? Cleansing??? Sorry, but ... corn is not cleansing, it is a toxic grain.

I often make pasta doused in oil, of course lol.

The vast majority of pasta is also toxic junk. If you happen to be eating only ancient heirloom varieties, then that is fine, in smaller quantities...

I’m Italian and Sicilian. And it’s how we eat, and it’s awesome, there is nothing like some beautiful gold or green olive oil.

Just don't eat it with corn... lol
edit on 7-5-2021 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2021 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join