It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriages (Not what you think).

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It's not what you think because I'm not arguing here on the topic of "Is gay marriage ok or bad"...but under this peculiar fact.

I shall say I think just of my own personal reasons, that there should be no gay marriages.

But of course 1 opinion is but 1 vote in all the votes...so that doesn't matter...

What I think matters is the definition of Marriage (look it up in the dictionary).

The definition reads the union of a Husband and Wife, a husband being a man in the same dictionary, and a wife being a woman should you look the definitions up.

So what I'm thinking is you can't allow gay marriages at all...because it is against the English definition of Marriage.

And thus passing laws that allow it would be "newspeak". Changing the definition of a word in the language, or removing words in the language to alter society.

Which I stalwartly oppose.

And I'm just wondering what others think about that particular aspect.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:00 AM
link   
My understanding is that the Gay Rights Movement is in the midst of having the word: "marriage", abridged or further redefined to include "same sex".

I have no site to back this up so it is pretty much 'here-say' FM.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I think it is rather weird, but that's only because I can't break free of the way we as humans are *suppose* to, or meant to interact or bond with one another..I can't fathom man/man or woman/woman relationships for the one simple fact that my mind won't let me *go there*..

I find it somewhat uncomfortable to be around people who are openly gay, but I can tolerate it(for their benefit) I'll just never understand it. When our minds can't find reasoning in something, then it's impossible to understand or agree with the *something* in question.

My best advice and way of moving forth in this world is:
Everyone is different and until you can live life through someone else, you can never understand or agree with why people do the things that they do..whether it be, being gay, or something else..as long as you aren't and can't possibly ever fathom being that way, you can never understand it. But you can *try* from their perspective and then just move on and be glad you aren't that way.

There's enough problems and confusion with man/woman relationships and marriages, I can't imagine having to deal with the same sex as well

Magestica

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Yes, but do you think it's right to redefine words in the langauge...after all language effects culture and society, just look at how well Ebonics has screwed up the people who speaks that!

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
If the World was all Gay and Lesbians their would be no humans left to post.

Same Sex Marriage is just the first step in the wrong direction, People don't see any wrong in same sex relationships because the species is not at risk. People thought the same about pollution 60 years ago, but now they see the error of their way and see that humans are affected by their decision.

Once, their are to many Gays and Lesbians, it won't be long before they are persecuted, just like the Jews.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It's kind of odd but the most noble truth ever to be learned, is from a Game of all things.

Called "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" lol...

Where the Dwarf King (Already some 600 years old), explains to you, the "hero" why Technology in the hands of humans is destructive (and indeed it applies to all decisions humans make).

He says plainly.

"Your short life spans means that you do not have to live to see the consequences, and therefore you do not think."

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
In our country gay marriage is legel, they just canges man and woman to 2 persons!

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yeah well your country can do whatever lol.

But here I know I am sick of, and I'm sure others will be getting sick of it pretty soon, of the Courts over-riding majority opinion.

With Race issues that was fine, because there is nothing to justify racism, but with cultural issues, it is a crime...and for the past 40 years the courts have destroyed our culture and watered it down to allow "minorities" to basically just bring their country with them, against the seemingly large majority against it.

Ahh the horrors of quietness.

But again, my only question here lol, was if you agree with the changing of AGE OLD definitions...because that is what will have to be done...which I disagree with.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica

My best advice and way of moving forth in this world is:
Everyone is different and until you can live life through someone else, you can never understand or agree with why people do the things that they do..whether it be, being gay, or something else..as long as you aren't and can't possibly ever fathom being that way, you can never understand it. But you can *try* from their perspective and then just move on and be glad you aren't that way.

There is " different " and " different ". In exemple, you're a woman and I'm a man. So, we are " different ".

But a pedophile is " different " from you, me and the rest of the majority. So I can understand a woman point of view, but I'll never understand a pedophile " point of view ".

There are many differences who have to be all respected, but also, there are some fews others " differences " who do NOT have to be respected and have to be forbidden. Pedophilia is one of these few " difference " who have to be forbidden and NOT " respected ".

Back to the thread subject :

I don't need to check my dictionary to know what does it mean a marriage and what's " good " or " " bad ". Gays can do what they want, I don't care until they don't ask for my blessing. I strongly disagree them.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
"because it is against the English definition of Marriage"

Don`t agree, english is the best language because of its inherent flexibilty. It is able to change over time to adapt its meanings and embrace change. English is not a language locked in its definitions.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I know you quoted me to point out the difference in being *different* and that's great
But I was refering to the thread & *gay* being the different I was talking about. Not, someone who rapes or chops people up in pieces-that to me isn't different, that's just...messed up and *gone* from society..so please, I hope you didn't think that's what I meant by understanding and being different. I'll never be able to 'fully' understand why people do the things they do, unless I am that way myself. Although people who say they are gay or *are* gay have many different reasons for being this way..and once they explain it, I try and relate to them the best I can without judgement..that's not my job to judge people..as we will all do what we want to do and continue to push human limitations..that's just one of those things about life..
Magestica

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 04:59 AM
link   
he he he....

magestica, I knew you was refering to the thread, don't worry. I just thought that I had to clarify what we were talking about.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
IMO,what does anyone care if someone marrys or not. We ALL should have the same rights.I could care less if my neighbors want to marry,regardless if they're gay or staright.

Why does everyone feel THEY ALONE have the right to judge others by the secual orrientation?Why do THEY FEEL they have the right to decide if its okay for them to marry?These people are OBSESSED with sex!

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Why so hostile sounding? It's not as though people don't make decisions for us anyway
Why is it so easy for some to decide that *I* cannot have an abortion, but so difficult when someone decides they would like to marry someone of the same sex? We, the people make the decisions here in America, whether anyone else likes it or not..noone should make a decision though, for anyone-America the free, *hint hint*..yeah whatever..

You get my meaning? Smell what I'm stepping in?
Mag

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm against gays totally!

They're messing up our country. They waste their time protesting when they come be helping the world of humanirty.

Anybody that supports gays, you have every tight to be wrong, but you are wrong

Tassadar

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I didn't think I was sounding nasty.But just read Tas's response.Gays aren't messing up this country.Gays are everywhere in every country!Maybe they wouldn't protest so much if they were just given equal rights.Back in the 60's we felt Black shouldn't vote or have any rights us whites had.Look how we've changed.I think 30 years from now people will shake their heads in disbelief over the ignorance of our generation.I have many friends & some family whom are gay.They pay taxes,fight in our military(one friend who's gay was over in Iraq!)live in our world,teach our children,are doctors,lawyers, & are people like you & me.Tolerance is something all people must learn.You have the right not to approve of their lifestyle,sure.But they have the right just like you & me to live in a world & not worry about being treated differently.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassini
"because it is against the English definition of Marriage"

Don`t agree, english is the best language because of its inherent flexibilty. It is able to change over time to adapt its meanings and embrace change. English is not a language locked in its definitions.

A definition means there is a core meaning to a word. The core meaning to marriage is the union between a MAN and a WOMAN.
This union, sanctioned by theology, is to promote a healthy propagation of human kind. It is not an employment position oversaw by EOE regulations-everyone is not suited for marriage. Men and men, woman and woman, serve no purpose within the framework of marriage......they do not propagate children and they add no stability to society......

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well romantico seems to be under the impresson that Gay Marriages is an "equal rights issue."

Well does it limit the ability of getting a job? No.

Does it limit the ability to worship? No.

Does it limit the ability to get a house? No.

So it's not a rights issue...thus Gay Marriages does not have to exist for any reason.

I for one and most 90% of Nevadans will protect our Right to deny them marriages based on Popular vote, until such time that popular vote should vote that gays can marry.

If the federal government wishes to impose this law on us, they can try to force it on us with the Military we trained for them. Gotta love OPFOR, we kick their ass every time.

As for the issue...the definition of Marriage is "Husband and Wife" which means "Man and woman" it will never change because English is a particular language where the word has a specifc meaning.

Therefore under that reasoning you can't call it "Gay marriage" because it's not between a Husband AND Wife.

Any rebuttles?

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I dont belive this thread belongs here, needs to go to chit chat

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I suppose it doesn't matter where it is, though it is a political issue and could be called scandalous by many!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join