It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Argument about removing statues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
You're joking right? Many of these statues are as in your face as it gets.

Yeah. Especially like the one that landed on that guy, that's about as in your face as a statue can get.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

how does the statue make you look at it?

You're joking right? Many of these statues are as in your face as it gets.

Ahhh.

Hogwarts statues.

Yeah, they get like that.

Better to destroy free expression instead.

You might get offended.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Spider879

If the statement is from the obelisk, that's not a statue of one of the generals or the conquistadors, of Washington or Jefferson, or Columbus, or any of the other figures who have been either torn down or vandalized lately.

Did that get torn down? If not why?

But the intended symbolism behind it is the same..know your place, and Jefferson Davis himself much to his credit , warned against resurrecting the flag or build monuments to the Confederacy, but Naaw they were not getting that.

So is it possible there are statues that are not monuments?

Is the PIeta a monument? What about David? Are those monuments? A fountain in the square with leaping horses ... are those monuments?

And when is something a monument and when is it a memorial? Is there a difference? Does it bother you that people in the south fought for their land and families, not because they had slaves, and that those families still mourn and want to remember their dead? Should those memorials be torn down for that?

In the end, we are supposed to all be Americans, and it's a painful memory for all of us. If it wasn't, you'd never get white folks kneeling to you and washing your feet now. But if you want to erase those reminders that make us all uncomfortable, be my guest. I'm perfectly content to forget all of it and never, ever feel like I need to excuse any of black man's bad behavior for any reason ever again.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Is the PIeta a monument? What about David?

David isn't a participation trophy for coming in as First Place Loser.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Immediately made me think of the suggestion of the Mothman statues- those would be gnarly at crushing people.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Immediately made me think of the suggestion of the Mothman statues- those would be gnarly at crushing people.

You're a very sick person.

I approve.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Is the PIeta a monument? What about David?

David isn't a participation trophy for coming in as First Place Loser.

We all bring what we bring. I see a man sitting on a horse most of the time because it's not immediately obvious to me who the statue is supposed to be.

I guess some people find men sitting on horses to be deeply morally wrong. Those people should join PETA.

You see it as a sign of losing.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, I see Confederate war memorials as signs of losing, because, you know, they actually lost.

Coffee is for closers.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

a reply to: Spider879

If the statement is from the obelisk, that's not a statue of one of the generals or the conquistadors, of Washington or Jefferson, or Columbus, or any of the other figures who have been either torn down or vandalized lately.

Did that get torn down? If not why?

But the intended symbolism behind it is the same..know your place, and Jefferson Davis himself much to his credit , warned against resurrecting the flag or build monuments to the Confederacy, but Naaw they were not getting that.

So is it possible there are statues that are not monuments?

Is the PIeta a monument? What about David? Are those monuments? A fountain in the square with leaping horses ... are those monuments?

And when is something a monument and when is it a memorial? Is there a difference? Does it bother you that people in the south fought for their land and families, not because they had slaves, and that those families still mourn and want to remember their dead? Should those memorials be torn down for that?

In the end, we are supposed to all be Americans, and it's a painful memory for all of us. If it wasn't, you'd never get white folks kneeling to you and washing your feet now. But if you want to erase those reminders that make us all uncomfortable, be my guest. I'm perfectly content to forget all of it and never, ever feel like I need to excuse any of black man's bad behavior for any reason ever again.

I'm not the Taliban, but if it's about education, then put them in a Museum with their proper historical context, you are saying they make a teachable , uncomfortable moment for us all... Really!??.. "All Of US"??? much of it is celebratory in nature with dreams of wishing for that lost cause , see above..I'm gonna take a risk here and say there is not one standing statue / monument dedicated to the moustached one himself..Adolph Hitler in all of Germany, despite lots of folks loving him back then , hell lots of folks love him now,
But Naaw no monuments no statues, because????_______.
edit on 22-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It is honestly the first thing that popped in my head.

Wait.... what if.... stay with me, but what if they have some Mothman statues be the destroyers of the statues that people want demolished? Even better... get some Stay Pufft statues.

Oh man, this could be fun! I have so many great ideas for replacements!

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

That would all be against the Law.

Cole's to be precise.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I have come around to your way of thinking. It’s time to remove all statues. We can make it a game to see how quickly we can destroy one. Obviously no planning or permission is needed. I do like the idea to do this under the cover of night. That way if someone gets their ass kicked by a statue his her identity may be hidden.

Who wants to be that guy amirite.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I hate when anyone tries to use the confederate statues and ignores teddy Roosevelt statue being removed, grant statue destroyed, Washington statue defaced and damaged, abolitionist in philly, Columbus statue destroyed, Jefferson statue, Lincoln statue on the slate for removal.

Its much more than the confederate statues, I keep asking when does it end where does the line get drawn when do we stop giving in to these nut cases.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don’t condone the destruction of any art, especially statues, paintings, and original literature.

I’d be really pissed if they burn originals of Peter Pan because Captain Hook didn’t have black pirates in the Disney movie and other sorts of bs that can be twisted and bent. Destroying art is bad. Are the statues architects going to go down in history as racists because of subject matter? When does it stop?

Is someone going to burn the Declaration of Independence or the constitution because some founding fathers were slave owners? When there are no more statues the books and art are all that will remain until they are destroyed too.
edit on 22-6-2020 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

I've never understood the claim that if you remove a statue, it erases history.
I find that funny, even hilarious.

www.forbes.com... 898
These are rough statistics, but probably close enough:

-- Eleven percent of survey respondents have never traveled outside of the state where they were born.
-- Over half of those surveyed (54 percent) say they’ve visited 10 states or fewer.
-- As many as 13 percent say they have never flown in an airplane.
-- Forty percent of those questioned said they’ve never left the country

So you are telling me a statue of Robert E. Lee in Alabama will erase history for someone in Utah, that will likely never travel there, or ever see it?

yes I will keep posting till the lights go out

Wait for the book burnings, history has been erased before. The schools have been re-programming for many years now and revising history to the children, hence what we see now. Columbus and our founding fathers of this nation are an example. Look at the curriculum they are teaching in History now in schools, you wouldn't recognize it from 30-40 years ago.

How much would we have learned if the Spaniards hadn’t burned the codex of the Incas, or destroyed the temples of the Aztec’s, or used their cannons on the city’s of the Mayan’s? What knowledge could we have, if the Christians hadn’t burned the library of Alexander, or temples of Rome and Egypt?
Merely a few words carved in stone can unlock treasures of knowledge. And it’s destroyed because of some uneducated ass hole that’s offended by it. May the destroyer’s of history all burn in hell!

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
a reply to: SaturnFX

Call them rebels if you want. But a lot of them southerners thought of them as heroes. Maybe not all sure but was enough to get some statues put up

Sure, lots of people think rebels are heros
No doubt Osama Bin Ladin has plenty of people back in his home that see him as the hero of the story.

Point is, the US won...so its weird when public tax paid dollar areas have statues of traitors erected to begin with.
What if your city hall erected a statue of the unibomber...wouldn't make a lot of sense. Sure, some people may see him the hero...but since when does that count.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
If you remove one historical statue...... you remove them ALL... Slavery and anything associated with it like the museum in Montgomery Alabama...

Museum.

thats not a public property thing...the issue is having General Slavekeeper the third staring down mainstreet with taxdollars supporting it.

I am not in favor of destroying these statues...take them and put them also in a museum.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If they remove all the statues, archaeologist will have no way of putting together the real story.
They should rather commemorate the statues with a durable plaque, and inscribe how it's context has changed.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

If they remove all the statues, archaeologist will have no way of putting together the real story.

What is the real story?

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: rom12345

What is the real story?

It will be found in the satire, by people of the future.

The real story is humans beings appear to have tendency to subjugate each other.
Perhaps it's just a short phase where it's not happening.
Also that they like explore the unknown for new opportunity.
In this quest they hopefully found the mechanism to overcome their baser instinct.
And are not extinct after all.
edit on 0000006045864America/Chicago22 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join