It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the protests for the disabled?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I answered my question...

No, you just complained about it again.

I understand loud and clear; the issue isn't worth you time to reply with anything more than meaningless thought of "do it your self".

Sure you are correct; the disabled community will have to find a way themselves to make people like you take notice.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
That doesn't make it true. Now I think you're just baiting me.

What did I say that wasn't true? You're the one who made the goofy accusations.

Yeah, you said he was lazy since he wasn't out there pounding the pavement for awareness after he already told you he had tried and was shut down by others. That's where it started, you made the accusation, I called BS and then you took it to a weird place after that.

There's nothing about a true disability that is laziness. That's a character flaw, not a symptom.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I understand loud and clear; the issue isn't worth you time to reply with anything more than meaningless thought of "do it your self".

Sure you are correct; the disabled community will have to find a way themselves to make people like you take notice.

No, people like that will just ignore because they think they're superior to you. Ignore them and continue your good work.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

No, people like that will just ignore because they think they're superior to you. Ignore them and continue your good work.

You are correct the superiority example here is why a lot of people ignore this issue.

But I don't think ignoring people like AugustusMasonicus is a constructive way to move forward. There are just too many people who act and think like he does; if we keep ignoring we will be doing it forever.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Who said I haven't? Stop pretending you know me.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Yeah, you said he was lazy since he wasn't out there pounding the pavement for awareness after he already told you he had tried and was shut down by others.

So he's a lazy quitter then? You know the difference between people who get things done and those who don't? The people who get things done don't quit.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: DanDanDat

There are actually many organizations that are working for the disabled and their rights.

No, the matter doesn't get the air time it deserves.

But as you can see, the biggest problem is not the folks that are apathetic, but the ones that actively ridicule disabled Americans, not unlike DJ Trump.

I'm not disabled, thank random chance, but if I were, I can tell you that SOB would have lost my support then and there.

Truthfully I disagree with you; I think apathy is a much bigger hurtle for the disabled community than ridicule.

Ridicule is easier to overcome; thankfully because of other movements such as seen in the black community or with women's rights, society has taken a much more active role in protecting all people from ridicule. Sure it still happens, and happens a lot; but a lot of the time for every 1 person who is predisposed to ridicule a disabled person there are 3 or 10 people who would stand up against the ridicule if they saw it happening in front of them.

The apathy is much more insidious; many of those willing to stand up for a disabled person if they saw them being ridiculed are often apathetic toward them when it matters.

Many people wouldn't go out and harass a disabled person; but they won't hire them either. Or the knee-jerk reaction would be to institutionalized a disabled person instead of taking the time to figure out what it might be that they really need.

From personal experience; the most bigotry I've endured has been from people who are otherwise good people that are too ignorant to understand how their actions are harming me.

Those people who are just @ss holes have been easier to deal with because all you have to do is confront them and the most of the time slink away like most bullies do.

That's another thing, good point. My daughter and I both have Tourette Syndrome. She was teased some when she was in grade school by other kids - in a Catholic school no less where they are supposedly taught better. When the kids had to move to public school the teasing lessened but it was still there. A friend of my son has it too but he has pretty bad head tics. I was proud of my son the day he stood up to some kids that were making fun of his friend in school, they didn't bother him anymore. Growing up with his sister's tics made him understand the issue. I have confronted bullies that make "jokes" about people swearing or calling others names because they falsely "have Tourettes", they tend to apologize quickly and stop. That isn't always the case though, when someone has bad tics and/or the pronounced vocal tics the teasing and bullying can be brutal.

Regardless of the disability, the biggest problem is unawareness and a lack of compassion.

Gryph, does Biden groping women and kids or claiming blacks aren't black if they don't vote for him bother you? Just curious.

I had a guy come to the house to fix my chimney. The first thing he did when he walked into the house was explain to me that he had Tourettes and that he had learned to tell people this when he starts working because he had some bad experiences where people thought he was drunk or high and he's lost work over it.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Who said I haven't? Stop pretending you know me.

Oh I know you AugustusMasonicus; been dealing with you all my life.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Sure you have. Go back to complaining, doing nothing and making your false equivocacy to other advocacy protests.

edit on 7-6-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If you would like, Dan, I can put you in touch with a disabled activist that I know personally,. She has cerebral palsy. She can surely put you in touch with some people that are in a similar situation you are and offer some advice on how to achieve what you would like to achieve.

I must warn you though, if there’s a cause, she’s an activist for it. My wife and I kind of wrote her off a couple months ago when she posted something saying that offering a disabled person a ride is disablism, because it’s highlighting their disability. We’ve probably given her like 20 rides in a couple years time and I’m really curious on her thoughts of me after I picked her and her wheelchair up and carried her across a grass field after a concert one night because she wasn’t able to push herself through it. We had a party at our house shortly after she made that post and then commented on the pictures the day after, “I would have came but no one offered me a ride
“. That certainly wasn’t the only perplexing post she’s made.

She would surely love to discuss your situation. Shoot me a PM if you would like her contact info.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Sure you have. Go back to complaining, doing nothing and making your false equivocacy to other advocacy protests.

What false equivocacy have I made?

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Comparing potential protests for disabled persons to any other protest and bemoaning that contrived fact. Your dogwhistling is obvious.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer
If you would like, Dan, I can put you in touch with a disabled activist that I know personally,. She has cerebral palsy. She can surely put you in touch with some people that are in a similar situation you are and offer some advice on how to achieve what you would like to achieve.

I must warn you though, if there’s a cause, she’s an activist for it. My wife and I kind of wrote her off a couple months ago when she posted something saying that offering a disabled person a ride is disablism, because it’s highlighting their disability. We’ve probably given her like 20 rides in a couple years time and I’m really curious on her thoughts of me after I picked her and her wheelchair up and carried her across a grass field after a concert one night because she wasn’t able to push herself through it. We had a party at our house shortly after she made that post and then commented on the pictures the day after, “I would have came but no one offered me a ride
“. That certainly wasn’t the only perplexing post she’s made.

She would surely love to discuss your situation. Shoot me a PM if you would like her contact info.

Thanks for the offer Drucifer.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with this individual. Passive aggressiveness is a common coping mechanism among the disabled. I'm sure she appreciated your assistance even if her differences don't always allow her to express it.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Comparing potential protests for disabled persons to any other protest and bemoaning that contrived fact. Your dogwhistling is obvious.

You will have to explain your self in more detail.

Are you suggesting that the disabled do not have grievances worthy of protests?

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Where did I say that? I said stop being pissy that other people are protesting, who it's looking like you don't agree with, and then say, 'But where's muh protest?'.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

There's a difference in offering a disabled person a ride - - - and them having access to independent transportation.

That's probably what she meant.

My mother was a victim of the 51/52 polio epidemic. I grew up with this.

Believe me - - before the Disability Act - - we were thrown out of restaurants, denied access to businesses, and hand carried up steps to voting precincts, etc.

Legal force - - was the only way the disabled got anywhere close to equal treatment.

Most people certainly didn't offer assistance out of the kindness of their heart.

BUT - - an analogy I read elsewhere: "It's MY kids birthday, not your kid's"

edit on 7-6-2020 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Where did I say that? I said stop being pissy that other people are protesting, who it's looking like you don't agree with, and then say, 'But where's muh protest?'.

Actually I don't fully understand what you are trying to convey other than you think the reason the disabled don't have a larger activism foot print is because you think they are lazy. You have not exactly offered any detail responses in this thread other than to call people lazy and get offended that I chose now to discuss this issue.

But when you are ready to put your ego behind you; I'll be happy to have a real conversation with you on this subject.

edit on 7-6-2020 by DanDanDat because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Actually I don't fully understand what you are trying to convey other than you think the reason the disabled don't have a larger activism foot print is because you think they are lazy.

No, I did not say all disabled people are lazy, I said people who complain about why other people aren't doing what they want are lazy.

edit on 7-6-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Actually I don't fully understand what you are trying to convey other than you think the reason the disabled don't have a larger activism foot print is because you think they are lazy.

No, I did not say all disabled people are lazy, I said people who complain about why other people are doing what they want are lazy.

Now your just being incoherent.

I didn't think anyone in this thread discussed "other people are doing what they want"

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Aren't. See the edit.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join