It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the protests for the disabled?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

And just to be clear about how I personally feel..

I dont want protests
I dont need representation in media

Above all else, I dont want systems that are *explicitly* designed to keep me dependent on them. As it stands, they are my only option and I fought going on assistance for years. It seems to me thats what "they" want for everyone.

I just want the tools that enable me to live out my life, not as a burden, but as someone that can actually meaningfully contribute to our lives here.

For a "normal" person, those have become available in modern times. For the disabled, its a little trickier, but thats what Ive spent my life working on. I think the issue is that its in direct opposition to where the so-called PTB want us to go.

Most seem to either want us to be good lil cripples and jump through endless government hoops for a pittance, or the inverse.. that we just havent "tried hard enough." I think a lot of potential is wasted because of that paradigm.

Humor is good though. It seems its far too easy to forget how to laugh in modern times. Ive always found stark pragmatism tempered with laughter to be a good mix.

@Dan: How would you feel if, instead of things like government assistance, total dependence, pity, pandering, or being thrown out at as "useless..." We were given the tools that enable us to grow our own food, produce our own power, and manufacture things in your home? Regardless of disability (for the most part)?

I dont know about you, but most of my time is spent either trying to maintain survival or writhing in pain. In between, I write a paragraph here and there and post it here.
edit on 6-6-2020 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: HalWesten

Get lost with that crap. Unless you're dead you can always do something.

I called it, lazy. Or maybe just wants to make a false equivocacy to the other protests going on now since they don't like them.

Take your pick.

Oh please, now you're just being an ass. Obviously you look down on those who have real disabilities, physical problems that prevent them from doing certain things. Does it bother you when someone can park close to a building because they have trouble getting around? Does it bother you that they may need a little more help or attention to be able to function "normally"? It sure sounds like it. And his point about not doing what was mentioned was very legitimate. Being a middle-aged white male has become the new target for a lot of people. No one believes you have troubles, they just think you're whining and looking for pity. Sorry Charlie, that's now how it works.

I could probably qualify for disability if I wanted to based on my medical issues but I don't want to. I just want to live normally so I'm not even going to consider that. That's how most of us feel, despite your backward thinking.

Yes you called it - wrong.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Obviously you look down on those who have real disabilities...

By telling them to get out and do stuff? Nice try Captain Disingenuous.

The rest of your post reads like you want to have a pity party for yourself, enjoy.

edit on 6-6-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Obviously you look down on those who have real disabilities...

By telling them to get out and do stuff? Nice try Captain Disingenuous.

The rest of your post reads like you want to have a pity party for yourself, enjoy.

Then you have a reading comprehension problem. That's not at all what I said, you're just trying to defend your own misstatements and lies. Sorry, it's not working. This will get deleted by mods but I'm not going to let garbage statements like that go unanswered.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

What misstatement or lie? I gave you my opinion, therefore my opinion is factual. It's not like I changed it, try again.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You should start one, be a disabled advocate. Don't be lazy and sit home and complain about it.

I do advocate for the disabled; I donate to causes that further disabled rights and accommodations; I have
successfully lobby for and now lead a Diversity and Encloution Disabilities group at the big business I work for and we have been responsible for hiring many disabled people who would have otherwise been passed up because the hiring manager would not have known how to accommodate. I advocate vigorously on social media and in real life when issues pertain to the disabled arise and belong to several online groups dedicated to my particular disabled.

What I was referring to in this thread are mass movements. Such activities are not part of the disabled community... maybe ita because we are too lazy as you are asserting... but I tend to believe it is because our issues are not taken seriously by others outside our community.

For example with such an abysmally representation in the media our stories are ignored.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There should be a protest every day for some infliction God has bestowed upon mankind.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
What I was referring to in this thread are mass movements.

Someone started the others, my point still stands.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What misstatement or lie? I gave you my opinion, therefore my opinion is factual. It's not like I changed it, try again.

Hah! Factual? Opinions aren't factual. Nice try.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Mine are for me. And your comment is funny coming from the person who said I made a misstatement. Reeeeee.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Disabled people, the elderly, women and children beaten and killed by husbands and fathers, kids bullied at school until they kill themselves, workers forced to be exposed to toxic chemicals and/or brutalustic management, isolated people dying of loneliness, etc.

This life is a horror destined to end badly. Not much comfort in being the King of the Misery Mountain.

But by all means, let's have a parade.
edit on 6-6-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

There are actually many organizations that are working for the disabled and their rights.

No, the matter doesn't get the air time it deserves.

But as you can see, the biggest problem is not the folks that are apathetic, but the ones that actively ridicule disabled Americans, not unlike DJ Trump.

I'm not disabled, thank random chance, but if I were, I can tell you that SOB would have lost my support then and there.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

What I was referring to in this thread are mass movements.

Someone started the others, my point still stands.

You are certainly initialed to your opinion.

Why is it do you think that the people of the disabled community don't have their prominent activist figures?

Where is the disabled colin kaepernick taking a knee on live TV so that the rest of the disabled country can rally behind?

Maybe its because society has relegated the disabled so beneath everyone else that such opportunities never even present themselves.

The disabled person who might have it in them to start a movement is so utterly ignored by society that the movement never happens.

Its not like the disabled community could go on some massive work strike to force people to hear them; they aren't being hired in any sort of numbers where something like that would work. A even a good portion that are hired aren't given meaningful positions.
edit on 6-6-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

There are actually many organizations that are working for the disabled and their rights.

But as you can see, the biggest problem is not the folks that are apathetic, but the ones that actively ridicule disabled Americans, not unlike DJ Trump.

I'm not disabled, thank random chance, but if I were, I can tell you that SOB would have lost my support then and there.

Truthfully I disagree with you; I think apathy is a much bigger hurtle for the disabled community than ridicule.

Ridicule is easier to overcome; thankfully because of other movements such as seen in the black community or with women's rights, society has taken a much more active role in protecting all people from ridicule. Sure it still happens, and happens a lot; but a lot of the time for every 1 person who is predisposed to ridicule a disabled person there are 3 or 10 people who would stand up against the ridicule if they saw it happening in front of them.

The apathy is much more insidious; many of those willing to stand up for a disabled person if they saw them being ridiculed are often apathetic toward them when it matters.

Many people wouldn't go out and harass a disabled person; but they won't hire them either. Or the knee-jerk reaction would be to institutionalized a disabled person instead of taking the time to figure out what it might be that they really need.

From personal experience; the most bigotry I've endured has been from people who are otherwise good people that are too ignorant to understand how their actions are harming me.

Those people who are just @ss holes have been easier to deal with because all you have to do is confront them and the most of the time slink away like most bullies do.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Why is it do you think that the people of the disabled community don't have their prominent activist figures?

Where is the disabled colin kaepernick taking a knee on live TV so that the rest of the disabled country can rally behind?

Seems like these two questions hold your answer. Why aren't you asking them those questions? And if you don't like their answers get up and do it yourself.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Seems like these two questions hold your answer. Why aren't you asking them those questions? And if you don't like their answers get up and do it yourself.

I answered my question in the same post as I asked it based on my own opinion. You chose to ignore it rather than counter it. But thanks for the further example that I am probably correct.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I answered my question...

No, you just complained about it again.

edit on 7-6-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Mine are for me. And your comment is funny coming from the person who said I made a misstatement. Reeeeee.

Don't Reeeeeeeee me, I'm not one of them. In your case your perception is your reality. That doesn't make it true. Now I think you're just baiting me.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Truthfully I disagree with you; I think apathy is a much bigger hurtle for the disabled community than ridicule.

Ridicule is easier to overcome; thankfully because of other movements such as seen in the black community or with women's rights, society has taken a much more active role in protecting all people from ridicule. Sure it still happens, and happens a lot; but a lot of the time for every 1 person who is predisposed to ridicule a disabled person there are 3 or 10 people who would stand up against the ridicule if they saw it happening in front of them.

The apathy is much more insidious; many of those willing to stand up for a disabled person if they saw them being ridiculed are often apathetic toward them when it matters.

Many people wouldn't go out and harass a disabled person; but they won't hire them either. Or the knee-jerk reaction would be to institutionalized a disabled person instead of taking the time to figure out what it might be that they really need.

From personal experience; the most bigotry I've endured has been from people who are otherwise good people that are too ignorant to understand how their actions are harming me.

Those people who are just @ss holes have been easier to deal with because all you have to do is confront them and the most of the time slink away like most bullies do.

That's another thing, good point. My daughter and I both have Tourette Syndrome. She was teased some when she was in grade school by other kids - in a Catholic school no less where they are supposedly taught better. When the kids had to move to public school the teasing lessened but it was still there. A friend of my son has it too but he has pretty bad head tics. I was proud of my son the day he stood up to some kids that were making fun of his friend in school, they didn't bother him anymore. Growing up with his sister's tics made him understand the issue. I have confronted bullies that make "jokes" about people swearing or calling others names because they falsely "have Tourettes", they tend to apologize quickly and stop. That isn't always the case though, when someone has bad tics and/or the pronounced vocal tics the teasing and bullying can be brutal.

Regardless of the disability, the biggest problem is unawareness and a lack of compassion.

Gryph, does Biden groping women and kids or claiming blacks aren't black if they don't vote for him bother you? Just curious.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

That doesn't make it true. Now I think you're just baiting me.

What did I say that wasn't true? You're the one who made the goofy accusations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join