It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden challenges Trump and scientific mainstream by refusing to lock down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It appears Sweden has decided to do things their way, much to the chagrin of the media and and others.

Much of Europe is still on coronavirus lockdown, with severe restrictions on movement and penalties for those who transgress.
But not Sweden. Restaurants and bars are open in the Nordic country, playgrounds and schools too, and the government is relying on voluntary action to stem the spread of Covid-19.
It's a controversial approach, and one that's drawn US President Donald Trump's attention.

Even more controversial is that Sweden is relying on its citizens to act according to the information given.

Sweden's strategy, she said, was: "No lockdown and we rely very much on people taking responsibility themselves."

Sweden's actions are about encouraging and recommending, not compulsion. Two days after Spain imposed a nationwide lockdown on March 14, Swedish authorities were encouraging people to wash hands and stay at home if sick.

Gasp! Personal responsibility? Oh the inhumanity.
As of yesterday, Sweden has just over 9100 infected and almost 800 deaths. That's a damn site better than the U.S. so far if accurate. Nevertheless, Sweden has introduced some basic rules to help avoid crowding at restaurants, but maybe they weren't needed. Stockholm and its subways are much less crowded without heavy handed over-reach.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is skeptical of Sweden's approach. Noting a fresh surge in the country's infections, the WHO told CNN Wednesday that it's "imperative" that Sweden "increase measures to control spread of the virus, prepare and increase capacity of the health system to cope, ensure physical distancing and communicate the why and how of all measures to the population."

It's imperative that Sweden does what we tell them to because they're making the rest of us look like idiots.

Tom Britton, professor of mathematical statistics at Stockholm University, models how infectious diseases behave in a population. He believes 40% of the Swedish capital's population will be infected by the end of April. While acknowledging the difficulty of measuring the rate of infection...

Another of Sweden's well wishers. /sarc

In some ways, however, Sweden is better prepared to weather the storm than other countries. Some 40% of the country's workforce worked from home regularly, even before the virus struck and Sweden has a high ratio of people living on their own...

It is worth noting that Sweden is much more proactive when it comes to "social welfare", meaning benefits kick in faster for being out of work for good reason such as the example of a sick child given in the article.

Does Sweden have it right? Only time will tell, but I like their approach a lot better than anything else I've seen globally so far. Nevertheless, it could probably use some tweaking. As always, please read the source AND the whole OP before commenting. Source
edit on 4/10/2020 by Klassified because: It's DBCowboy's birthday

edit on 4/10/2020 by Klassified because: Correction to text

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well with all those migrants that they have they had choice to either lock down and face serious riots or do nothing.

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Swedish women haven’t been able to leave their homes alone for years...

You know, because of the wonderful diversity...

-Chris

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Their daily death rate went up 760% in 4 days. www.worldometers.info...

I guess time is telling. Wouldn't surprise me if they decide to lock down after all.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Swedish women haven’t been able to leave their homes alone for years...

You know, because of the wonderful diversity...

-Chris

It's a good point and worth noting, but not the topic at hand.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
Their daily death rate went up 760% in 4 days. www.worldometers.info...

I guess time is telling. Wouldn't surprise me if they decide to lock down after all.

If I remember correctly, there was another country that had the same problem and they were on lock down at the time. Somebody fill in the name. I'm drawing a blank...

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Their spread and death rates are climbing REALLY fast. Seems like a failed plan.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You could probably put the name of any country on lockdown in there. There is a pretty big lag time with this virus.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Their spread and death rates are climbing REALLY fast. Seems like a failed plan.

Maybe, but as we have all learned by the admission of public figures and media, the statistics of this pandemic are hardly accurate. The margins for error are astronomical considering not everyone is tested, and the test itself is not 100% either.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You could probably put the name of any country on lockdown in there. There is a pretty big lag time with this virus.

New York and Italy came to mind, but I can't find where I read it. Good point on the lag time.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The statistics for all pandemics are inaccurate. There has never been one where everyone is tested.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

The statistics for all pandemics are inaccurate. There has never been one where everyone is tested.

Granted, but this one seems to stick out like a sore thumb considering the advances in medical science we have made in the last 100 years.
edit on 4/10/2020 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Gasp! Personal responsibility? Oh the inhumanity.

Apparently you've never been to Florida.

Man asked trooper to leave scene of crash so he could get more meth, FHP says

Florida laughs in the face of personal responsibility on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

As of yesterday, Sweden has just over 9100 infected and almost 800 deaths.
Sweden has only a population of 10 mil. So those numbers are hardly impressive.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

No, you said the stats are inaccurate and I pointed out that all pandemics stats are. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. It is the same as all the rest.

Obviously the advances in medical science over the last 100 years have not been enough to roll out a reliable and cheap test in a couple of months to be able to test everyone.

edit on 10-4-2020 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Sweden's media are not traitors to the country. They support Sweden's government's decision.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
They are doing it in a quick way rather than a long drawn out way. Most people will be infected. No matter what you do. The social distancing and other guidelines are so hospitals are not overwhelmed. You will probaly get this virus in the next year or so.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Where did it say anything about Sweden challenging Trump?
How does this have anything to do with Trump?
Isn't this is all about how Sweden wants to handle their own country?

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

It's the title of the article.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Sweden's media are not traitors to the country. They support Sweden's government's decision.

You are correct, and I should have made it clear that I was speaking mainly of our own media and other factions in their own country that disagree with how Sweden is handling things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join