It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible contradictions & a Mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
First a couple of blatant contradictions......

Exodus 20:5
for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father

Acts 1:18
(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

Matthew 27:5
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

And the mystery:

Judges 1:19:

And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

A chariot is a land vehicle - sounds possibly like a type of tank to me.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The contradiction are nothing new, im sure there is 100 more.
The mystery quote is good for a speculation topic, but i do doubt they did have tanks. But hey is the pryamid are landing pads, then who knows that their chariots really were.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There are two types of sin, Orginial sin (Adam and eve), and spiritual sin (litterally turning away from God)

I do not know the particulars, but since the 30 coins were "Blood money" the pharasies probly said Judas paid for the Potters field. it is one of thoe point of view things where two people saw differant things, but yet they are the same.

Do you even know what a chariot is? there is a good example in the movie gladiator in the fisrt battle they have in the colosium. It is a 2 wheeled platformed towed by horses. Usually you had a driver, and an archer. And sometimes on the axels you would have scythe like blades on the side. By making it out of iron it would be impossible for ground troops with bonze weapons to defeat it.

Tho more likely it had iron plating, cause pig iron that was used at the time was very heavy

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Very interesting quotes from the bible LadyV, but occurs as usual when we challenge the bible religious zealous will discredit you with their bible rant even when the truth has been all alone in the bible itself.

They will take what is favor their views and disregard historical facts.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It makes me think of the "lord" and his people as simpletons. Why does the son of god fear a chariot made of iron? You would think he would send the earth down on them, to crush them with his breath, or some other wonders of god things.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
When you die your intestines release their contents so this could be what happened after Judas hung himself. Thus linking the two not contradicting.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Eeeew... Reminds me of the movie Hannibal. Didn't he do the same think to the police officer? Right after giving a lecture on this very topic?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justanotherperson
It makes me think of the "lord" and his people as simpletons. Why does the son of god fear a chariot made of iron? You would think he would send the earth down on them, to crush them with his breath, or some other wonders of god things.

The language of the Bible --- largely due to difficult translations --- can get confusing. 'The Lord was with Judah' is an expression meaning Judah had good fortune. Not that thhe Lord was physically with Judah kicking butt.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Not that thhe Lord was physically with Judah kicking butt.

How do you know that's what is meant?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

Wah?

it sounds like chariots in the iron age. Which were not very widespread in the more ancient times. When a tribe or civilization would work out the technology for all of it, they'd often spread their borders in gigantic conquests, like the Hittites, or even the Assyrians.

Interestingly, the spread of iron technology and a change in military tactics from massed chariots to 'skirmishers' is thought to have lead to the 'Bronze Age Systems Collapse'.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It is easy to take Bible verses out of context to twist the meaning...Satan likes to do that...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I actually have a PDF with contradictions ....

But the reason for all of the cont. is that the GOD of the Old Testament is actually Satan .. The old testament is like Starwars.. it starts off later in the story and then in the future you hear about the beginning..
and Satan is Jesus' brother but he exists in ignorance.. everything is twisted around on purpose ... Satan wouldn't allow it all to be written properly.. it's written .. but all over the place...

How about these contradiction...

Who incited David to Count the Fighting Men of Isreal?

(a) God Did (2 Samuel 24:1)
(b) Satan Did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

Did Joshua and the Israelites Capture Jerusalem

(a) Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
(b) No (Joshua 15:63)

Jesus Descended from which son of David?

(a) Solomon (Matthew 1:6)
(b) Nathan (Luke 3:31)

The Gospels say that Jesus cursed a fig tree. Did the tree wither at once?

(a) Yes (Matthew 19:21)
(b) No (Luke II :20)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Wah?

it sounds like chariots in the iron age. Which were not very widespread in the more ancient times.

Well..the point is that either way a god would have no problem getting rid of them, dont ya think?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by jtma508
Not that thhe Lord was physically with Judah kicking butt.

How do you know that's what is meant?

I don't claim to be a Bible language expert but have read a great deal regarding the Bible and its various translations and origins. When the language experts look into the meaning of specific words and phrases they compare all instances across the Bible and look at their various translations. This phrase (i.e., "The Lord was with...") was commonly used throughout the Bible to mean that someone had good fortune... that they were blessed either generally or more commonly for a specific task or for a specific period of time.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Wah?

it sounds like chariots in the iron age. Which were not very widespread in the more ancient times.

Well..the point is that either way a god would have no problem getting rid of them, dont ya think?

Why are you assuming that God wanted to get rid of the iron-charriot folks...maybe that was the plan to begin with...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Wah?

True. But then the same argument could be made for any of the evils/obstacles facing us now. The question may be why doesn't God intervene on-request to help us kick iron chariot butt?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geneticus

Why are you assuming that God wanted to get rid of the iron-charriot folks...maybe that was the plan to begin with...

Did you not read the opening post?

And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

Please not the ladt part. "but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It may have been that the Iron Charriots served some purpose on earth, and that is why God wanted them...not that he wasn't strong enough to do away with them...

It's hard to tell when the verses are taken completely out of context...

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Geneticus]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Did you not read the opening post?

Please not the ladt part. "but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."

Here is the definitive answer to the above "mystery"...all you have to do is read the entire chapter...and get the verse into the proper context...

The story is about the conquests of Judah...the quote you picked out of the hat says that God is with Judah...and Judah drove out the inhabitants of the mountain...and Judah could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley...

Also notice that the word "he" is not capitalized..meaning it is not refering to God...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geneticus

The story is about the conquests of Judah...the quote you picked out of the hat says that God is with Judah...and Judah drove out the inhabitants of the mountain...and Judah could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley...

Also notice that the word "he" is not capitalized..meaning it is not refering to God...

That doesn't really clarify anything. The first part of the sentence states that the Lord was with Judah.
Is one to assume that the Lord buggered off from Judah's side when the mountain inhabitants were driven out?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join