It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with well well done steak?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Got to agree with you I do not like uncooked meat, poultry or even fish and in the case of fish if every fish people ate was properly cooked there would no fish tape worm infections that a lot of people suffer from.

I grew up not liking the idea of eating so called Rare (Raw more like it) food and it makes me feel sick when people cut into a still bloody and pink steak.

My mother always cooked her food the old fashioned way, properly and non of her kid's got sick when she cooked.

Sound's awful to many people but for a simple quick tasty snack you can never beat a fillet steak fried with Spanish onion's cooked through thoroughly and served on crusty well buttered cob (I never said healthy), I like English or Irish lightly salted butter with mine and to add insult to injury for all those eat it half cooked (like cavemen forgot to invent fire or something) the steak butty goes great with a nice sweat tomato sauce (and some large tomato slices and simple fried mushroom's are also a great accompaniment on that crusty sandwich).

Then again fillet steak can be served any way you like so long as it is properly cooked, perhaps marinade it over night for a more tasty treat and rule one of steak never cook it straight from the fridge let it warm up to nearly room temperature before you start to cook it, fillet cook's fast even when like me you make certain it is cooked right through.

Nice thing about fillet steak it does not need tenderizing first as it just kind of melt's in the mouth pretty easily when done anyway though it is a bit more expensive than other cut's.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: KKLOCO

One of the skinniest girls I ever met ate heaps of fat, loved it cooked on the barbecue especially for her, well done as well

It's a myth that fat, even animal fat, is super bad for you. In the proper amounts, it can actually help you lose weight. The key is to not over-do it.

Ummm sorry, judge it by how you feel after eating it. Disgusting!

Small doses, yes. Eating the gristle off a proper steak is repugnant!

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Nothing. First world problems of the snooty pooty club.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Rabbit starvation is a thing.

Try out a good chicharron taco sometime -- basically fried fatty pork belly.
edit on 16-9-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

A well done steak is just gross! That is what steak sauce is made for... covering up a bland slab of what was once a steak!

I hang out at a bar where you can get the dinner menu at the bar and see tourists freak out all the time if there is ANY meat that is not brown...

* sigh *

It is not about “look” it is about temperature. And a “well done” steak can be at temp with “non-brown” parts. I’ve seen tourists “push the plate away and refuse to eat anymore” or “cut the parts off they will eat” or say, “let me talk to your manager...” (btw, when they leave, the bartenders and I laugh our AO!).

It is a free world. You can order any cut of food any way you want it served. Sub side dishes out (like starch for starch on another menu item. H3ll, I don’t eat Freedom Fries anymore but get soup or salad instead).

If you really want “no red” showing in your roast beast, you might consider sous vide method (not sure if it works... and it might need time on the grill but it, in theory should work).

Good luck!

And as Julia would say, “Bob appetite!”

(please tell that you at least drink red wine with your steak..)
edit on 16-9-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Where did my words go??...

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable2027
Ain’t nothing wrong with the way YOU like your steak, to each their own.

I lean more toward edumakated’s (movie reference) style but some of my family hate it that way.

Food is food to the person eating it.

Tell ya what though, any steak that needs any sauce isn’t a good steak in my opinion.

Recipe to try:
1. Get a good steak (not cheap steak)
2. Rub it down with sea salt, olive oil and pepper corn (big chunks on both)
3. Let it sit out for about 30 minutes (so it’s not refrigerator cold, almost room temp)
4. On low/medium low in a cast iron skillet, cook it for about 6-9 minutes on each side WITHOUT FLIPPING IT FOR THAT TIME.
5. Let sit for about 10 min under foil.

You won’t need any sauce, it’s that good

Edited later - whoever said to wash off the salt, stop cooking steak

My recipe is:

1. Get prime rib, new york strip, or a good pack of sirloin from Wal-Mart, Food Lion, Kroger or Teeter.
2. No need to rubbing it down unless you want to get intimate
3. 5 minutes countertop time post-reridgerator removal as you set up the stove
4. Heat the pan to medium high or a 7-7.5 on a 1-10 dial with 2 tablespoons of olive oil eyeballed from bottle to pan
5. Sautee chopped red onion in it
6. Put steak in, add shakes of garlic, black pepper, salt, a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and sear on each side for 1 minute
7. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, flipping occasionally with a cut in the middle to see how cooked it is until you decide it's done
edit on 16-9-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Gross. Just order the chicken next time. Well done chicken is good.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The juice that comes out when cutting a steak that is pink in its center, is NOT blood, nor is the stuff in your package of meat from the store blood. It is Myoglobin. It is a protein. It is there due to damage to the muscle tissue from either cutting or cooking.

I had to get that off of my chest, way to many people who seem to be experts that don't know that.

Now for some steak tartare. Yes, steak can be cooked to many different degrees and still taste fantastic. Sometimes I even order my steak well done, because I am in the mood for that. No high horses needed here, you like what you like, and how you like your steak cooked is up to you.
edit on 16-9-2019 by dubiousatworst because: gotta get a jab in

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I will only eat steak well done as well. I hate pink or bleeding. I have heard chefs think we are weirdos and even heard it is a put down to the chef when we order well done. Oil well- I don't care; I like it how a I like it. Add ketchup to the order and you get the ultimate death stare until you tip really well; then they understand.

edit on 16-9-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

When you cook a steak well done, it can bind some minerals, alter some vitamins and other chemistries too. Over one seventy degrees, taurine in meat is bound and is not bioavailable. NAC falls apart at around one ninety five. Both have purposes in our metabolism.

But the iron gets bound, I notice you stated that the mineral taste is gone. Too much iron is also not good. Some other minerals also get bound, but the iron is the one with the most distinguishing taste. Cobalamin does not usually have a bad taste, but iron does.

As long as you can make enough of your own necessary taurine, you are all right. That requires B6 and some special food chemistries. My wife likes her steak and meats cooked well done, she is pretty healthy and does not show much symptoms of acetylcysteine or taurine deficiencies. She eats potatoes and that is where she gets her B6, she also eats cereals in the morning lots of times.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Everything is wrong with a well done steak!!!
It's dry and tastes terrible. It gets tough.
It's an abomination!!!

About the only need that should be a well done is meatloaf.
And ribs...stew...
But never steak or burgers.

edit on Mon Sep 16 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

do you not like jerky?!? You can have well done steak that still has plenty of flavor and is not tough. It depends on the cut, and how it is tenderized. You do tenderize your steaks right ?
what is this world coming to.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Mine has to be still a' mooing
I like a bit of protein with my steak

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Nobody's burned the heretic witch yet?? Come on, people, you're slipping here < shakes head in dismay >

Medium for me, I find a well-done steak to be extremely tough/chewy, and very, very dry. If you have to marinate (steak sauce, etc) your meat AFTER it was cooked to put some moisture back, then it was done wrong, period.

Scientifically speaking, as Ricky pointed out, there's drawbacks to cooking beef well-done, it hampers the nutrition profile and makes it less nutritious.

And savor the fat, people. It's good for the brain, and helps kick in the satiation point faster, leading to being satisfied & full faster, and stuffing the ol' orifice less. Natural fats really are a weight-friendly buddy if you don't gorge on it.
edit on 9/16/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Everything is wrong with a well done steak!!!
It's dry and tastes terrible. It gets tough.
It's an abomination!!!

About the only need that should be a well done is meatloaf.
And ribs...stew...
But never steak or burgers.

Then you should probably do your duty and ban this member.

Or at least a carefully worded warning.

Does ATS really want members like this contributing?

Think about the children!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Eat it however you want.

It's certainly not how I like my steaks, but to each their own I guess.

Beyond that, as a cattleman, I'll just reserve any further opinions.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable2027

Edited later - whoever said to wash off the salt, stop cooking steak

You marinate the steak in salt before you cook it. You wash the salt off then you cook it on high, and then season it again after it is done cooking. This is the exact method most high end restaurants use. Tell them they don't know how to cook steak.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Then you should probably do your duty and ban this member. Or at least a carefully worded warning. Does ATS really want members like this contributing? Think about the children!!!

You guys sound like.......rare meat eating vegans!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Eat it however you want.

It's certainly not how I like my steaks, but to each their own I guess.

Beyond that, as a cattleman, I'll just reserve any further opinions.

Do tell, how do cattlemen like their steaks?

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
probably mooing and healthy, on their way to the butcher

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join