It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with well well done steak?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
You do you, of course.

For me, a nice boneless ribeye steak, 1” -1 1/2” thick, well trimmed but still with a bit of fat on the rim.

Let it come to room temperature while covered in cling wrap. Dry off both sides of the steak with paper towels so it sears instead of steams when it hits the pan. If you want to do it right, season both sides with Kosher salt and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes or so BEFORE removing to the counter to warm up, it draws moisture to the surface and then redistributes it into the meat for a juicier steak.

Mix a small amount of baking powder with your fresh cracked pepper when you season, it accelerates the browning process (Melliard (sp?) reaction) for that delicious crustiness.

Cast iron is, of course, best for your pan, hot enough to make small water droplets “dance” across the surface when sprinkled.

Olive oil is tasty, but will smoke badly at the high temperature you should be using. Canola oil has a higher smoking temperature and no flavor to spoil the experience.

If you need more flavor for your meat, you can drizzle some good olive oil and/or (herbed) butter on your steak while it rests after you take it off the heat. Always let your steak rest for 5-10 minutes (depending on thickness; more=more) after cooking, so that all those delicious juices can be drawn back into the meat!

And call me a savage if you will, but I’ll take my steak rare, please! Medium if I have to, but never more!

If I wanted a piece of beef jerky I would not have ordered beef STEAK!

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes, only an idiot consumes raw meat, fire was stolen from the gods for a reason.

There are so many parasites in animals, especially free range, and the deworming(if even given to them) only works on intestinal parasites, not so much on the ones that live in muscles- you know, that part we like to eat.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Delicious, delicious medium rare with a nice char on the outside. I used to hate anything but well done when I was a kid, but now, I love the juiciness of medium rare. And nothing on it sauce wise. I want that taste of the meat itself, not ketchup, barbecue sauce, or A1.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Maybe it is pushed so much because the powers that be want people to have a taste for blood, for the raw, for the life source?
I can't stand it.

I don't think it has so much to do with those things as not liking how it toughens the meat. It can be like leather. If I weren't okay with a little pink in a steak, I would give up steak altogether and just eat beef when it had been prepared in another manner... like stewed, stir-fried, used as hamburger, etc.
edit on 17-9-2019 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Eat it however you want.

It's certainly not how I like my steaks, but to each their own I guess.

Beyond that, as a cattleman, I'll just reserve any further opinions.

Do tell, how do cattlemen like their steaks?

Seared over a 1,200 degree grill. Seared on the outside and cool and purple (not red) in the center. Some might say...just this side of having a pulse.

Fork tender, no knife required!
edit on 9/17/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   

There's nothing wrong with well done steak. As long as I don't have to eat it. Cook your steaks how you want and I'll do the same.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I know a guy who went to Ruth Chris and ordered a filet mignon well done. It looked like a piece of charcoal. That’s an expensive piece of meat at an expensive place.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I have a friend that likes his steak black & blue.

Or as I put it, "cook the steak just enough to kill any harmful bacteria"

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

This is why I don't bother ordering steaks when I'm out, or having a steak at a BBQ, people throw tantrums when I ask for it well done, it's really obnoxious.

Also, there is no blood in steak,

The red juice is a mixture of the protein myoglobin and water. This protein has one purpose. It is to help “transfer” or ship oxygen to the muscle cells. It also has a very deep pigment. If the meat contains more myoglobin, than it has redder or darker color.

edit on 17-9-2019 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

There's nothing wrong with well done steak. As long as I don't have to eat it. Cook your steaks how you want and I'll do the same.

You know that is nice of you to say, but in reality a lot of people do seem to care how other's eat their meat.

www.eater.com...
This is a entire article saying eating steak well done is wrong (even President Trump likes it well done) and that we have fear

A person who won’t eat his steak any doneness but well is a person who won’t entertain the notion that there could be a better way

I have zero fear of raw or rare meat. I just don't like it. I think that is what a lot of people fail to understand. Sure there are parasites etc. that is not my main focus. My focus is on taste/texture/flavor/after flavor. I also don't know where people are getting their steaks, mine do not taste like leather/jerky. Far from it. I've had many many many tender well done steaks. Yes it is possible. Not it isn't as soft/mushy as rare, but it is still easy to chew and eat. No I'm not a fan of ketchup or steak sauce. I do occasionally use an Asian mixture but it's not required.
edit on 17-9-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

You know that is nice of you to say, but in reality a lot of people do seem to care how other's eat their meat.

Probably because a really nice cut of meat is expensive to get.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Probably because a really nice cut of meat is expensive to get.

Even more the reason the person eating it should have it prepared how they like.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well done steak is fine, I find the cheap Rump cut goes like leather faster than the better Sirloin or Ribeye though, so when cooking you gotta watch like a Hawk, a minute over and you are done! only thing left to do at that point is chop up and put it in a slow cooker to make a stew or chili, I may have done this once or twice

I do not find a rare steak to be as mind blowing as most folk make out though, slightly better texture yes but that is all, I do eat mostly rare these days because I practically live on an all meat diet and I want the nutrients, But when Adults brag about how rare they like there meat I just crack a smile, it's on the same silliness level of how adults still act like 14 year olds over alcohol and getting drunk.

Now rare burgers? that just disgusts me for some reason lol, every time I watch an American on Youtube they make rare burgers. Just find that weird honestly, and I have actually eaten raw Minced beef before, which was nice, but burgers? nope, I wanna chew something!

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
As a liberal on ATS I get to read about all the things that supposedly trigger me hundreds of times a day.

Most of the time I just shake my head and laugh to myself because it's never accurate.

Until now.

The discussion of well done steak, with specific mention of the ribeye cut.... triggers me....

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

lol As a leftie, no sorry ... an evil douchebag leftie! who also reads what supposedly triggers me hundreds of times a day here, I think getting triggered over a well done Ribeye is a bit more understandable than the usual overdone rubbish!

I'm having a ribeye tonight though.... maybe well done

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

As a liberal on ATS I get to read about all the things that supposedly trigger me hundreds of times a day.

Most of the time I just shake my head and laugh to myself because it's never accurate.

Until now.

The discussion of well done steak, with specific mention of the ribeye cut.... triggers me....

You know it triggers a lot of people, and I just find that weird.

It would be one thing if I made you eat it, or pushed my taste on people, but I never have.
I originally had this OP in a conspiracy topic but it was changed. I think I placed it accurately.

There is something primal about people wanting others to eat raw/rare meat. People are truly passionate about it, ask anyone that likes a well done steak. No other food gets this reaction. (with the exception of vegans not wanting you to eat meat at all) People are free to drink their coffee how they like, tons of sugar, no sugar etc. There is something about steak in particular, it strikes a chord with people.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: willzilla
I know a guy who went to Ruth Chris and ordered a filet mignon well done. It looked like a piece of charcoal. That’s an expensive piece of meat at an expensive place.

I like to order their leg of lamb. When they bring it to the table, I pick it up, yell Captain Caveman, and run around the restaurant one good time before I eat it. It's become a tradition.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I agree, it's weird. The raw-eaters just seem to way over react about it.

Me? When I am running around on all fours or howling at the moon , I might consider eating that raw lump of meat.

Until then though, cook mine well, burn it almost, and I'm good.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

What's wrong with well well done steak?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Just like there's nothing wrong with putting ice in bourbon, drinking warm beer, eating toothpaste while drinking orange juice or urinating on an electrical outlet. To each their own.

edit on 17-9-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Almost room temp beer...

Cold has no taste to it..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join