It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Additional background information:

His parents divorced in 2011 and according to divorce records he has two siblings.

edit on 3-8-2019 by Identified because: Typo

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It's interesting how few people are startled by today's shooting. I mentioned it to several people at a picnic: "Where was it? Oh that's horrible! What cooler has the beer in it?"

20 people killed by one shooter is becoming the equivalent of 20 people killed by 20 shooters, over a week's span of time.
edit on 8/3/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
It's interesting how few people are startled by today's shooting. I mentioned it to several people at a picnic: "Where was it? Oh that's horrible! What cooler has the beer in it?"

Not surprising.

No different than randomly talking about chicago shootings to people on the other side of the country, or car bombs in the middle east to people 10's of thousands of miles away.

The reality is that the "outrage" news cycle is just that, and to most it has NO bearing on their life. Take that for what it is, either good or bad.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

www.cnn.com... cnn posted an article but it was talking about a separate shooting on june 30th at i think a different wall mart

A disgruntled Walmart employee killed two co-workers and wounded an officer at a Mississippi store on July 30.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
a reply to: MisterSpock

www.scientificamerican.com... 1 in 6 Americans are on drugs for mental health issues and link covers the issue

Wow, that's scary when you consider the American Armed Forces, Reserves, National Guards, Coast Guards etc. Imagine 1 in 6 on an aircraft carrier. Or perhaps 1 in 6 pilots, tank operatives, riflemen. List goes on.

If these stats are to believed then USA has problems. Can't see this though. Leastways not in China, Russia etc.

My thoughts,

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Interestingly, I think his father is a Licenced Professional Councilor who specializes in Addiction Recovery.

And PTSD Recovery.

edit on 3-8-2019 by Identified because: Add info

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tiredoflooking

a reply to: carewemust

IF it was an AK or a member of the AK family of fire arms, any where from 5 round mags(not likely) to 10,20,30, and 75 round drums which tend to be unreliable as hell . 30 is considered to be "standard capacity" for the platform

It was an AK

OK. Thanks for confirming.

Also, I see Texas is "Open Carry".
www.keranews.org...

It's surprising that noone shot the shooter.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Well, if he makes it to death row, his end is out of his control. A monster, for sure.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

IF it was an AK or a member of the AK family of fire arms, any where from 5 round mags(not likely) to 10,20,30, and 75 round drums which tend to be unreliable as hell . 30 is considered to be "standard capacity" for the platform

It was an AK

www.keranews.org...

Real life seldom plays out like it does in the movies.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Background info. Mom is a registered Democrat.

Dad is a registered Democrat.

edit on 3-8-2019 by Identified because: Add info

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

A lot of people who "carry" really don't, since like most they have an apparent(as this showed) false sense of security.

Leaving it at home today, leaving it in the car, etc is pretty common in the carry community.

Like a seatbelt, it's only effective if you get in the habit of constant use. Because by the time you realize you needed it, it's to late to "plan ahead".

Plus, the percentage of people is usually overblown. Even in an open state carry you have what, 10 percent(at best) that "say" they carry, of them probably 10 percent will actual do it habitually enough to actually have it on them all the time. I'm sure even those numbers are high.

Out of 1000 people, you might have one or two that are actually carrying...let alone that can react within close proximity at the time. That's probably best case assumption.
edit on 3-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

It’s more common here in Arizona where conceal carry is allowed.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: PilSungMtnMan

It’s more common here in Arizona where conceal carry is allowed.

I was speaking of carrying in general.

In my state, it's concealed that requires a permit.

Of the dozens of people I know that have a permit, maybe only one ACTUALLY carries on a day to day basis. The rest acquire a permit and carry very rarely.

The point is, very few (whether permited or open) just don't want the "hassle" of doing it.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Yep. The nationwide reaction today is far milder than it would have been just 20 years ago.

The news coverage is about 80% the same for every mass shooting. Each network hosts the same "experts" saying the same thing, and answering the same questions from the news anchor(s).

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
In a situation like this. I can’t help but wonder why a good Samaritan wouldn’t arm theirself in the sporting goods department to confront the shooter ?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The risk of shooting innocent bystanders springs to mind. Confronting a home invader at 3am is one thing, but potentially confronting an active mass shooter in a crowded area, where people may be panicking and looking for an exit is a whole another can of worms.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Yep. The nationwide reaction today is far milder than it would have been just 20 years ago.

The news coverage is about 80% the same for every mass shooting. Each network hosts the same "experts" saying the same thing, and answering the same questions from the news anchor(s).

20 years ago I believe violent crime was higher, but people weren't "jacked in" 24/7 via a mobile propaganda device that dribbled news to them every second of the day.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11

In a situation like this. I can’t help but wonder why a good Samaritan wouldn’t arm theirself in the sporting goods department to confront the shooter ?

The risk of shooting innocent bystanders springs to mind. Confronting a home invader at 3am is one thing, but potentially confronting an active mass shooter in a crowded area, where people may be panicking and looking for an exit is a whole another can of worms.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Not to mention it only lasted 6 minutes, running to the sporting goods, breaking a case or circumventing a locking device, finding the appropriate ammo, loading the weapon and then finding the location of the shooter is unrealistic.

The reality is that it all happens so fast. Not to mention that the usual reaction to someone that is not well prepared/trained, is confusion and panic.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It was an AK

www.keranews.org...

Real life seldom plays out like it does in the movies.

Fox News said several border patrol and ICE officers were doing weekend shopping. It will be interesting to hear how this shooter was able to exact as much carnage in an open-carry state, as we see happen in churches/mosques, where noone is armed.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: xpert11

Not to mention it only lasted 6 minutes, running to the sporting goods, breaking a case or circumventing a locking device, finding the appropriate ammo, loading the weapon and then finding the location of the shooter is unrealistic.

The reality is that it all happens so fast. Not to mention that the usual reaction to someone that is not well prepared/trained, is confusion and panic.

If I’m an owner of any business where large numbers are gathered I’m skipping the cost/benefit analysis and staff armed/trained security. Harden the target. Overt or covert is probably a regional consideration.

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join