It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
News is mentioning 4Chan and 8Chan in relation to the shooting!

link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: DBCowboy

LOL Are you saying that "A well regulated militia" is a dangling modifier? Did the founders not understand grammar?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Here - a diagram for you to explain all the working parts.

link   

LOL Are you saying that "A well regulated militia" is a dangling modifier? Did the founders not understand grammar?

Well, I tried......I tried to tell you to stop.......
You're on your own now.
Good luck.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
4chan and 8chan are now mentioning MSM in relation to the shooting.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Like I said, I don't have a solution to gun violence. All I'm saying is that the government does and continues to legally regulate weaponry.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Now is not the time nor place for you to parse the 2nd amendment when you don't know what that phrase actually means.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tiredoflooking

yeah i only added the "IF" because of the gilroy shooter and the media apparently being unsure if it was an SKS or an AK platform ,thanks for posting the photo that looks like either a 7.62x39mm ak or its slightly less common .556/223 version

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

There was an attempt....

You tried.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

It's much more likely given the generally more verbose standard of the time, that this is the intent of the word -- that the militia that forms operates well because it's members have their own personal firearms that they keep and are personally familiar with using and thus can handle and fire competently when the need arises.

Which is NOT what happened today in El Paso.

The militia was to defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic. The biggest domestic enemy the militia may face is its own government. Now if the only entity that can call and control the militia is the government, hwo on earth does it defend against that particular enemy? Not only that, but when we already have a military and a National Guard, why do we need a militia of civilians keeping and bearing arms?

Nope. That is a right separate from government.

link   

I never said that the people don't have the right to bear arms. However, "well regulated" is also a working part of the sentence.

link   

No it's not a modifier at all. It's a list, similar to the way the first amendment is written. It's a clarification of Collective and/or State rights and the Individual's right as already outlined in the Constitution.

Look at how commas are used in the entire document and you will understand.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Like I said, I don't have a solution to gun violence. All I'm saying is that the government does and continues to legally regulate weaponry.

Yep, and they are constantly fighting the Constitution and Bill of Rights which was developed to limit government.

link   
Oh, CNN is reporting that the latest law enforcement conference confirmed the dreaded white male.

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
News is mentioning 4Chan and 8Chan in relation to the shooting!

You better hurry and log back in 😃

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Which is why I dont have a cannon or a bazooka.

link   
a reply to: Jansy

"Utopian society, a welfare state for you and me, until the day that freedom's gone"

link   

Sentence diagramming is hard!

link   

"well regulated" at the time ment in good working order and weapons ready for use and whatnot

www.constitution.org...

The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment: 1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations." 1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world." 1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial." 1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor." 1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding." 1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city." The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.
another example that ill tip toe around due to its modern connotations being well not nice, in the uk cigarettes were called things back in the day that is now highly offensive to the gay community as a slur but in the context of how it was used no offense was intended

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

Sentence diagramming is hard!

It's a lost art that should be rediscovered and taught more often. It actually shows how words and phrases work in relation to each other in a sentence, and let's be clear, if there is value in common core math for showing different approaches, then there is the same value in diagramming for the same reason - different ways to teach how grammar works and why.
edit on 3-8-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

They regulate it but whether or not it is Constitutional is questionable.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join