It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: ketsuko

I never said that the people don't have the right to bear arms. However, "well regulated" is also a working part of the sentence.

You didn't pay attention to the punctuation. i.e. the commas 😃

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: Sookiechacha

They regulate it but whether or not it is Constitutional is questionable.

Did he actually just suggest that anything the government does is automatically legal?

I'll remember that next time there's a police shooting.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

that this is the intent of the word -- that the militia that forms operates well because it's members have their own personal firearms that they keep and are personally familiar with using and thus can handle and fire competently when the need arises.

That isn't what happened when a young man, exercising his 2nd amendment right to bear arms, shot up the parking lot, the entrance and the inside of the El Paso Walmart and killed a bunch of people. That is not what the framers had in mind when they wrote the 2nd Amendment. I think we can agree on that.

If the government could regulate guns so that people like this young man couldn't get a gun, they would. But, they haven't found a way to do that and protect the rights of "good people" with guns too.

Like I said, I don't have an answer.

link   

originally posted by: Identified

Look at how commas are used in the entire document and you will understand.

You're giving way too much credit there.

link   

Take a deep breath and read this SLOWLY.
He does a VERY GOOD job explaining it to you...
Just slloooowwww down....and read...

originally posted by: ketsuko

Regulate has more definitions than government rule. For example, your personal digestion can be well regulated, too, but that doesn't mean the government is giving you daily anal probes to make sure you ate all your fiber in the recommended forms and amounts. It simply means that you do what it takes to make sure your colon operates smoothly and regularly.

It's much more likely given the generally more verbose standard of the time, that this is the intent of the word -- that the militia that forms operates well because it's members have their own personal firearms that they keep and are personally familiar with using and thus can handle and fire competently when the need arises.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Did he actually just suggest that anything the government does is automatically legal?

Are you saying that our current gun laws are illegal?

link   
Time for the Democrats to Politicize this event as always.

link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

"well regulated" at the time ment in good working order and weapons ready for use and whatnot

www.constitution.org...

The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment: 1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations." 1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world." 1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial." 1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor." 1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding." 1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city." The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.
another example that ill tip toe around due to its modern connotations being well not nice, in the uk cigarettes were called things back in the day that is now highly offensive to the gay community as a slur but in the context of how it was used no offense was intended

You are, of course, referring to how cigarettes used to be called "fags," aren't you? You can say that here, you're not using it as a slur, you're using it in its proper context and it's historically accurate. It's okay to educate people.
edit on 3 8 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I choose to interpret “well regulated” to mean routinely shooting and blowing stuff up to stay proficient. At a range of course.

That way when an arm bearing lawful citizen must engage an arm bearing unlawful citizen, in the absence of law enforcement, the law abiding citizen is capable of executing the final option with extreme prejudice to ensure minimal innocent injury or death.

link   
a reply to: PilSungMtnMan

Gee I thought that might be of interest.

link   
A communist once told me all citizens should be armed at all times . 🤔

link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

I have read them thoroughly and will not get into legalities and Constitutional Law, I am not a lawyer and damn sure not an expert of civil liberties. This is something deeper than law. It's social and psychological, we have some real sick people out there and their sickness's are not being addressed. We are intelligent people here (at least the ones I met so far), the average voter will begin screaming fear very soon if not now. Government will respond and it may not be in favor of our traditional laws and values. I have to admit, if I was the man I was 20 years ago I could handle anything but, my youth has faded. As I get older, I have become aware of my increasing inability to defend myself. Who will protect us that are losing our capacity to defend ourselves? If any readers are still young and vibrant they will have difficulty in understanding this. But, it will happen. We all get old and weakened. Police will respond but that will not prevent the violent act, in most cases police are only able to clean up the mess. They can't be everywhere. Does that mean we need to all carry weapons like the old west? The problem is deeper than mere gun possession. I once saw a man kill with a club. Talk about primitive, the look on the attackers face was beyond description. A violent person will find a way. The gun argument is second to the reality that we are a society with increasingly sick people but, what do we do then? Force everyone into a psych screening? That too can be circumvented. It just may be something we will have to live with. Not a happy future if you ask me with Americans always looking over their shoulders while trust in each other continues to fade. I simply have no solution, I'm just an average citizen.

link   
a reply to: iMnotHigh

Already happening. In fact, it started almost immediately. Pretty frickin sick if you ask me(you didnt).

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wait a minute!!

How long ago did this shooting happen?

How is there this much information out about the alleged shooter?

How are there store surveillance tapes already out???

They don't even know for certain there are no other shooters...and a high value piece of evidence is already out in the media????

How is the shooter's name out there already? Twitter accounts? LinkedIn accounts??? Manifesto's (which would NEVER be released this early!)

And, how is it that ALL of this information conveniently fits into exactly the narrative the left so desperately wants????

White male. Pro Trump. Evil "Assault weapon". White male. Hi capacity magazine. Anti immigrant. White male.

Something is wrong!!
edit on 8/3/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

link   

that this is the intent of the word -- that the militia that forms operates well because it's members have their own personal firearms that they keep and are personally familiar with using and thus can handle and fire competently when the need arises.

That isn't what happened when a young man, exercising his 2nd amendment right to bear arms, shot up the parking lot, the entrance and the inside of the El Paso Walmart and killed a bunch of people. That is not what the framers had in mind when they wrote the 2nd Amendment. I think we can agree on that.

If the government could regulate guns so that people like this young man couldn't get a gun, they would. But, they haven't found a way to do that and protect the rights of "good people" with guns too.

Like I said, I don't have an answer.

This is an important point.

The shooter used his rights to infringe upon the rights of others.

Like Antifa uses their rights to infringe upon the rights of others.

Who knew there was school today!

link   

a reply to: face23785

Are you saying that our current gun laws are illegal?

Not all of them, just any that infringe on our right to keep and bear arms. That's clearly written in the Constitution. Well, clear unless you're reading it, apparently.

ETA: Now go make your own thread. You've been derailing this one for 2 pages now.
edit on 3 8 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

link   

Let's put it this way -

Voting is a right, yes? If merely having to show current, valid ID is an infringement of that right beyond the pale, then why aren't the current gauntlet of gun laws illegal for a right enshrined to similar status in the COTUS?

link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

So, do you think that the 2nd Amendment reference to regulation is a process that occurs naturally, like digestion? Who should do the regulating?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
People in Texas love their guns...

Wow, what an asshole.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   

True but improving communication and comprehension isn't on the agenda with today's education. They prefer the kids to be ignorant and to believe, without question, exactly what has been spoon fed to them.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join