It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to Sanction U.S. Companies for Arms Sales to Taiwan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

China will sanction U.S. firms that participate in arms sales to Taiwan, after Washington approved sales of $2.2 billion in tanks, missiles and related military hardware, Beijing said.

China’s Foreign Ministry said Friday that the arms sales “harmed China’s sovereignty and national security” and that the sanctions were necessary to safeguard its national interests.

China to Sanction U.S. Companies for Arms Sales to Taiwan

Now I can understand this; I can understand China's stance.

What I am struggling to understand is the actual contents of a recent order by Taiwan which had been approved by the US State Department.

The US State Department has approved the potential sale to Taiwan of $2.2 billion in arms, including Abrams tanks and Stinger missiles, the Pentagon said on Monday.

China to impose sanctions on US firms in Taiwan arms sale

Now I'm not one to criticise nations' right to defend themselves or seek to defend themselves.

But the contents of the approved order are interesting: tanks and SAMes.

Am I missing something here? It's hardly feasible that China would ever overtly invade Taiwan. It's just posture and a war of words. Notwithstanding this, Taiwan barely has any "enemies" in the traditional sense of the word, with the People's Republic obviously just officially not recognising the status of the Republic of China.

In the WSJ story, there are more details:

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, part of the United States Defense Department, notified Congress on Monday of proposed arms sales including 108 M1A2T Abrams tanks, Hercules armored vehicles, heavy equipment transporters and Stinger anti-aircraft missiles.

edit on 12-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

China regained Hong Kong in 1999 under the 50 year one country two system plan brokered by the UK as terms of release. If we use that as a case study we can see that their pace of hegemony seems to be accelerated to achieve the goal before the mark.

China uses a very stern form of social engineering, and their philosophy of rule really looks to be complete and total control. With the advent of their citizen spy apparatus and the new social credit score, they'll effectively be able to mute anyone who doesn't play ball.

At a certain point, it's my opinion China will assert themselves on Taiwan, autonomy is not going to jive with the direction China is going.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

The US is pre-positioning equipment to defend Taiwan from a Chinese attack.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

When China can do it you better believe they will invade. The only saving grace for the world is that the US still holds the upper hand. China can't do much militarily or economically against the US because it will hurt them worse.

All you need to do is look at all the broken promises made to HK.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

This is exactly what is going on. US companies have been using Taiwanese labor for manufacturing all sorts of goods for decades in spite of China’s very vocal protests. We basically stole Taiwan from them, making them financially independent enough to separate themselves from China.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

China regained Hong Kong in 1999 under the 50 year one country two system plan brokered by the UK as terms of release. If we use that as a case study we can see that their pace of hegemony seems to be accelerated to achieve the goal before the mark.

China uses a very stern form of social engineering, and their philosophy of rule really looks to be complete and total control. With the advent of their citizen spy apparatus and the new social credit score, they'll effectively be able to mute anyone who doesn't play ball.

At a certain point, it's my opinion China will assert themselves on Taiwan, autonomy is not going to jive with the direction China is going.

I see your point.

But I am of the strong opinion that there will be no actual overt military conflict between the People's Republic and the Republic. Highly, highly unlikely.

link   
It’s only a matter of time. China will eventually move against Taiwan and anyone that get in their way. Even the US, if America shows weakness.

link   

originally posted by: MRinder

This seems most likely. *Just in case*

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
It’s only a matter of time. China will eventually move against Taiwan and anyone that get in their way. Even the US, if America shows weakness.

That's about as likely as the Islamic Republic of Iran literally "wiping Israel off the map" with as-of-yet nonexistent nukes.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

When China can do it you better believe they will invade. The only saving grace for the world is that the US still holds the upper hand. China can't do much militarily or economically against the US because it will hurt them worse.

What movie script is this from? The same one where the US just begins an all-out war on Iran and then also has to fight an all-out war with China over Taiwan?

Yeah, highly highly unlikely. I don't see any military conflict occuring between the People's Republic and the Republic.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

But I am of the strong opinion that there will be no actual overt military conflict between the People's Republic and the Republic. Highly, highly unlikely.

We're past the age of military conflict being the end all be all.

China is taking their claim in the waters all around, encroaching on all their neighbors. Embargoes, sanctions, cyber warfare ect. could be equally as effective without burning some gun powder.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Taiwan is a democratic nation and in my opinion, the rightful rulers of China.

These are the real chinese and that pisses off those brainwashed by the ccp.

We need to protect Taiwan at all cost, why? Security and trade.

Taiwan also has some of our most advance Fabricators, also being the single largest dedicated independent semiconductor foundry there, "tsmc".

If you didn't know, they can Fabricate all the way down to 7nm on the wafer, they have some of the cutting edge leading technologies that china wishes they had.
China can't fabricate those processes, which is why they need American components.

Its because of this reason that I believe the US will respond if Taiwan is attacked.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I guess that takes Trump out of a weird position. They have been discussing sanctions on China for importing Iranian oil, but with the trade negotiations going on I wasn't sure what his move would've been. Now, I think they will push that through.

Senior administration officials now agree that China defied U.S. sanctions when it imported more than a million barrels of crude oil from Iran last month. But they are grappling with whether — and how — to hit back, according to three U.S. officials.

The State Department had considered issuing a waiver allowing Chinese companies to receive Iranian oil as payment in kind for their investment in an Iranian oil field, but that idea has been abandoned. China hawks on the National Security Council are now pushing for the U.S. to impose secondary sanctions on Chinese entities, a move that would complicate trade talks between the two countries and further strain the relationship.

Politico
edit on 12-7-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What movie script is this from? The same one where the US just begins an all-out war on Iran and then also has to fight an all-out war with China over Taiwan?

Yeah, highly highly unlikely. I don't see any military conflict occuring between the People's Republic and the Republic.

And why do you not see it occurring?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

So you don't think if China were strong enough they would institute a blockade to force Taiwan's surrender? An invasion of Taiwan would not look like storming the beaches of Normandy, but it would still be a military invasion.

If China told the US to stop trading with Taiwan and the US said no, what is China going to do?

The only reason Taiwan is still free is because China can not match the US. As soon as they can the world as we know it will be changed.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I don't think you're too far off.

I'm not discounting military involvement, but I suppose it would be all about the scenario.

I agree the US is the only thing that stands in the way of a broader sphere of influence from China. China is the worlds greatest threat to freedom IMO, and the more we stretch ourselves thin, the better their footing gets.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Cool. It's about time someone tried flexing their economic muscle against the US. Maybe if someone actually gives us a quick punch to the nose we'll stop trying to stick it in every place it doesn't belong.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Cool. It's about time someone tried flexing their economic muscle against the US. Maybe if someone actually gives us a quick punch to the nose we'll stop trying to stick it in every place it doesn't belong.

While I wouldn't be opposed to having my nation focus on prospering rather than exerting might through force, as the former would be better for us and the world...

I don't know if I would celebrate the country with "re-education camps" trying to put us in check.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Useful idiot.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
What a disgusting and anti-American perspective.

Thank god you people aren't in charge of nothing serious.

You people are what is wrong with America today, unrealistic expectations, ideological school girl fantasies and the complete dissolution of the US.

NOT ON OUR WATCH.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join