It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to Sanction U.S. Companies for Arms Sales to Taiwan

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

What does that have to do with the Chinese threat to Taiwan? Why can't you stay on topic?

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The bottom line is that China considers Taiwan as it's own. Just like Tibet. And that's why China is seeking sanctions over the arms deal, and said it "undermines China's sovereignty". The fact they have not taken Taiwan rests largely on the relative strength of Taiwan and the status of the US as a guarantor of Taiwan's security.
When/if China thinks it ia strong enough to do it they will. Just like they built and armed islands in disputed areas of international waters, just like the took Tibet and dared anyone to interfere, just like they continually test the borders to their west. It's their modus operandi. Not unlike Russia took the Ukraine, and said "what are you going to so about it". As soon as China feels strong enough to say that with confidence, they will.

Saying "China wouldn't do that because the US and their allies are too strong" is ironically exactly the point in truth. The strength of Taiwan and the US as it's guarantor is what keeps China at bay. For now.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Reasons matter. Look, you're still not understanding what I'm saying. There is no such thing as morality or moral justification in geopolitics. Its misplaced there. The natural state of mankind has always been about power struggles between tribes, then states, then nations. The concept of avoiding conflict because of misapplication of morality has existed for maybe a century of human history, a blip. I'm not going to argue what's "right" with you, because that is an arbitrary concept at best... I'm simply saying what IS. And what is, is the simple fact that the strongest nation runs the show. If the US was not the strongest nation, I'd probably whine about the same way you are, but it wouldn't change the facts.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Reasons matter. Look, you're still not understanding what I'm saying. There is no such thing as morality or moral justification in geopolitics. Its misplaced there. The natural state of mankind has always been about power struggles between tribes, then states, then nations. The concept of avoiding conflict because of misapplication of morality has existed for maybe a century of human history, a blip. I'm not going to argue what's "right" with you, because that is an arbitrary concept at best... I'm simply saying what IS. And what is, is the simple fact that the strongest nation runs the show. If the US was not the strongest nation, I'd probably whine about the same way you are, but it wouldn't change the facts.

Look, we are just gonna have to agree to disagree, or we will just be going around in circles.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Arms deals like this is exactly why Taiwan is free.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

You state there will never be unification of the PRC and the ROC and its too much of a "hassle", despite the words and actions of China proving otherwise. You've repeated this several times without any reason to back it despite me asking for some thread of logic so I'm left to assume this is just how you feel about it and the actual history past and present will not convince you otherwise. I will argue that same passionate feeling you have about China not wanting the "hassle" pales in comparison to how passionately the Chinese actually feel about it. So passionately that they have included it into the national goals year after year for almost 60 years.

Just because the benefit is little in your eyes understand that sometimes a principle of power that rests on the perception of strength and unity within an ideology can drive a nation to act against its own perceived interests, just as religion can drive a nation to act against its own interests purely because of a doctrine within that religion.

That might be too much so let me simplify, China's government seeks reunification because Chinese people see it as a benchmark of a unified China, they are taught that this piece of land is being held by usurpers who are holding Chinese land hostage against the wishes of its own people. This lesson has been taught for several generations so despite our perceived value, to them it has a cultural significance tied to the birth of their nation and freeing of their own people.

This Nationalism or extreme patriotism mirrors religious fanaticism in that the revisionist history creates an altered perception of the world and is the driving force for much of their views regarding Taiwan. Things like the Tienanmen square protests is banned from search engines because they are taught a different history from the rest of the world. It's also why religion is suppressed so heavily as any religious identity has to take second place to the National interest.

I could argue that country willing to go to these lengths to suppress divergent thoughts and ideas is capable of anything.

But just as IkNOwSTuff and other people have said, China doesn't have a history of military action against foreign nations to achieve objectives, Korea and a few others would be outliers in the history books so I understand that perspective to a degree. Their own history of being invaded is taught ad infinitum as a reinforcement to the need for a strong unified China. However they have a long history of internal warfare and suppression and they consider Taiwan as part of China which places this well within the realm of possibility.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join