It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to Sanction U.S. Companies for Arms Sales to Taiwan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Cool. It's about time someone tried flexing their economic muscle against the US. Maybe if someone actually gives us a quick punch to the nose we'll stop trying to stick it in every place it doesn't belong.

Taiwan invited us there. Why don't we belong there?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'm not saying we're not allowed. Why isn't China allowed to flex their own sovereignty?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

It's hardly feasible that China would ever overtly invade Taiwan. It's just posture and a war of words

Going to strongly disagree with this sentiment here...

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I'm not saying we're not allowed. Why isn't China allowed to flex their own sovereignty?

Who said they can't? What does that have to do with the thread topic? Or is them wanting to absorb Taiwan simply their sovereign right?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I always find it amusing to watch/listen to Americans talk about China.

If anyone wasn’t aware of global politics and just read all the comments you would think it was China that had invaded 10-20 countries in the last 40 years, had military bases all over the world and regularly involved itself in regime change.

Taiwan was always part of China, its independent due to the losers of a civil war hiding there and being protected by foreign powers for their own personal interests, as the comments on this thread highlight.
Not once in China’s history has it invaded another country or sought Empire, in fact for most of its history it just wanted to be left alone.
Tibet might be an exception but I’ll give em a pass like I do when I think of how the USA invaded and annexed half of Mexico, it was necessary for national security.

And as for it’s lack of democracy, look how well democracy is working out for the western world.
We have basically become debt slaves with degeneracy being shoved down our and our children’s throats on a daily basis with a lying media and corporations whose only concern is acquiring more wealth and power running our countries.
At the current trajectory in 50 years Europe will be Muslim and America will be a Spanish speaking nation who’s citizens will have an average IQ of 90 if it’s lucky.

America needs to keep to American problems and stay out of Asia

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Explain them telling the Philippines it will be war if the Philippines drills for oil in Philippine national waters?

Explain the building of islands to steal land from it's neighbors?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Explain them telling the Philippines it will be war if the Philippines drills for oil in Philippine national waters?

Sanction the sanctionists.

Why the hell would you drill in a place where Typhoons constantly happens. That is stupid. I prefer no one drill there. Just look what happened to gulf of Mexico oil spill. People like you are asking for Futurama dystopia and it will look nothing like that show.
edit on 12-7-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If you mean the islands that have been disputed with Japan for centuries there’s nothing to explain, not my business and who people say they belong to seems to boil down to which of them benefits them more

Not familiar with the Philippine thing, how close to The Philippines do they want to drill?
If your talking somewhere in the middle of the South China Sea then it’s highly likely your opinion is based on being an American whose country is the de facto ruler of the Philippines and stands to benefit from any natural resources it’s able to exploit.

What you hear about China is propaganda or at the very least being looked at exclusively from a what’s best for the US point of view

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sup with your China boner is the real question?

Your self hate / guilt overflows eh?

Lol peaceful.

How many human waves they send to Korea?

Lol you guys are idiots

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

But I am of the strong opinion that there will be no actual overt military conflict between the People's Republic and the Republic. Highly, highly unlikely.

We're past the age of military conflict being the end all be all.

China is taking their claim in the waters all around, encroaching on all their neighbors. Embargoes, sanctions, cyber warfare ect. could be equally as effective without burning some gun powder.

I don't disagree with this point.

Military conflict is a very, very remote possibility.
edit on 12-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

But I am of the strong opinion that there will be no actual overt military conflict between the People's Republic and the Republic. Highly, highly unlikely.

We're past the age of military conflict being the end all be all.

China is taking their claim in the waters all around, encroaching on all their neighbors. Embargoes, sanctions, cyber warfare ect. could be equally as effective without burning some gun powder.

I don't disagree with this point.

Military conflict is a very, very remote possibility.

I wouldn't say very remote. As I always like to do, lets play with a case study (none are ever perfect analogies).

March 2014 Russia rolls into Crimea. Now, what makes this interesting is we had a treaty with Ukraine that in return for surrendering the nukes they possessed from the dissolution of the USSR, we would promise to protect their sovereignty with our military. We weren't the only ones in this treaty either, The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances Wiki.

So the world powers, and the UN showed that we would all sit on our hands even if there were binding treaties?

What would hold China back if they really wanted to? Do they have more leverage than Russia in the world affairs? Absolutely.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Do you mean like the US should do in regards to securing our borders?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

It's hardly feasible that China would ever overtly invade Taiwan. It's just posture and a war of words

Going to strongly disagree with this sentiment here...

I'll say it again.

It's about as remote a possibility as Iran "wiping Israel off the map" with as-of-yet nonexistent nuclear weapons.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

i for one wish they would, we would wipe out a huge portion of the deficit, as well as redistribution of manufacturing, either brought back to the us or taken elsewhere it would be an excellent time to invest.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Only as long as we or someone else presents an effective deterrent. You should read some SEA news sources. Maybe Japan and Philippines, too, if you think the Chinese expansion threat is something the US has invented.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

more leverage sure, but not nearly as many nukes

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Bingo. The day they think they can do it quickly and present a fait accompli to the world is the day it happens. Look at how they handled Tibet. Look at the history of border incursions in the west with Pakistan/India and co. Look at Tiananmen Square. Look at the Hong Kong transition. Look at how they have built and armed their atolls off the Spratleys, etc

If they feel they can accomplish their aims without heavy consequence, they do it. They only care about the bleating of the West if it will make a meaningful impact on their aims.

Your Ukraine example is spot on. The rest of the world are run by the ultimate pragmaststs who see the world as it is. The West views the world as a place where idealism rules. Complete disconnect.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Arms sales to Taiwan should be limited to defensive arms only, and not even strong enough to try to dissuade any or all aggression

NATO/SEATO are the deterrent force ---> not a powerful standing Army Nor an invincible iron dome missile shield
edit on th31156296758512392019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

NATO is meaningless if they can not hold out long enough for help to arrive.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

If you mean the islands that have been disputed with Japan for centuries there’s nothing to explain,

I mean the land that belongs to the Philippines, that China has zero claim over, that has gone to international arbitration where China refused to participate because they do not have any evidence to present, and the international arbitration sided with the Philippines.

I agree, there is nothing to explain. The land belongs to the Philippines and always has. China told the Philippines if they tried to drill for the oil in their territory then China will declare war on them.

Your pro-China argument is as stupid as arguments come.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join