It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Is Now Under Attack By PETA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

"hook and release," which is intended as a technique of conservation.

I've been fishing all my life. But I don't like this ether. People are causing a lifetime of pain and discomfort to the fish by stabbing them in the mouth for fun. Imagine the infections, the difficulty eating and mating that might come from being stabbed in the mouth. I am against hunting for fun or sport.

If you stab them in the mouth then kill them and eat them. If you don't want to eat them just leave them alone.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Agree. However, people can do that which suits their sensibilities. People can do as they please. If they strongly believe that fishing is cruel, they should not fish. Like you, I have been fishing in one place or another since I was a wee lad. I have never taken more than my share, and I've always been as quick as possible and respectful when killing the fish/lobster/conch/whelk/whatever.

They are part of my immediate food chain. It's good to be at the top. I hope to never be eaten by a Hammerhead (or any other shark) when I'm in the water, but if it happens, then it does, and I'll be part of their food chain. I am an omnivore.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

It's less than you might think.

The mouth of a fish is not very vascular. It doesn't get infected easily at all.

Fish often fight each other by locking lips and trying to tear each other's faces off.

The bigger issue for a fish in a catch and release is the stress, but it's far more risky for the fish if you hook them in the gills or if the swallow the hook -- that's a certain death sentence.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Peta makes me want to go out and buy a $125,000 ranger bass boat with all the extras.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Eh, big deal, it's PETA. They are nutjob extremists anyway, it's not like the majority of people take them seriously anyhow.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That's as good of an excuse as any to go buy a shiny new fishing boat!

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
PETA = Poorly Educated Trotskyite Association

edit on 6/9/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   

If you've ever gotten a fish hook stuck in you, you realize that there must be some pain involved.

PETA have a case, so do fishermen.

I think there are ways to catch and kill the fish quickly, reducing the suffering of the fish while allowing for a food source for people who want to be self reliant.

Clearly larger fish have larger brains and I'd see fishing of porpoises and dolphins as ethically and ecologically wrong probably the same goes for squid which seem to be nearly intelligent.

I wouldn't kill a dog for sport, so it is rational that I wouldn't kill a larger marine animal, either.

Not sure where to draw the line, though.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
If you give a man a fish and you feed him for a day .
If you teach the man to fish feed him for life .

PETA is probably tearing down statues of Confucius as we speak !

Anyway this is from 2017.

This creep sent his kid first . ( creep because he’s using his kid )

Those guys had the patience of saints. I would have beat the crap out of him in front of all those kids and his wife. Show them all a real life lesson there for free.

I'm not a violent man, but I would never stand for that kind of passive/aggressive confrontational bullcrap.

edit on 9-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
PETA another left winger organisation. Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: gallop

It would only be considered a well thought out reply if you kill and eat dogs.

Every dog Ive owned has absolutely been able to perceive and feel happiness, sadness, pain, loneliness, loss and many of the same things that we do.

I don't think I've ever caught a trout and just sat there, thinking if they perceive and feel happiness. pain, loneliness, loss and many of the same things that we do.

I know my dogs do.

So next time I pull a carrot from my garden do I need to sit there, thinking if they perceive and feel happiness. pain, loneliness, loss and many of the same things that we do?

Always of course thinking that the people fighting for this are the same people that snuff out a kid in the womb with no regret.

~Shrug~
lol wut?? I was replying to neo's "if they were sentient they wouldn't get caught" comment, looking back maybe I missed his "get caught" fishing reference but as I was trying to make a point about animal sentience in general (with no reference to fish, sentient or otherwise) I really don't get how you could get killing and eating dogs or talking trees, carrots and fish or whatever ( maybe neo got sentient and sapient confused??)from what I wrote?
I guess my opinions don't fit the current ATS so they obviously don't belong here...
Anyway like you say ~shrugs~
edit on 10-6-2019 by BlackIbanez because: Carrots

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: gallop

Always of course thinking that the people fighting for this are the same people that snuff out a kid in the womb with no regret.

~Shrug~

*Apologies to OP for going off topic but I had to reply to this statement.*

Reply to Lumenari.
I know you're quite the wordsmith(I actually enjoy many of your posts, the non political ones anyway) and have no problem throwing shade at those you disagree with but still this was a really cheap shot.
You don't know me and I guess I'm painting a big target on myself but I'm puzzled as to why with no provocation you've gone straight in for the low blow(idk, maybe to highlight your conservative cred at my expense?).
The irony being that had you bothered to find out, you would know that my opinions on abortion are closer to yours than not.
edit on 10-6-2019 by BlackIbanez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
If this Bastian of immovable paradigm falls to non.logic,.....wellll

Then

The next to fall is ....is

Is rabbits hunting.....

Nooooooooooooooo!

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I wonder how much pain a fish feels when it's being eaten alive by a predator , perhaps being caught by a fisherman then put back to carry on its day is preferable to that.

Animal welfare is important and fishermen should always have that in mind , I know I did when I was fishing and even when game fishing the kill was always quick and no doubt less stressful than being eaten alive.

Kids need to be taught how to fish properly before they're given a license , perhaps some adults do too but telling people to stop fishing is stupid , it's in our blood.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Cutting the head off a bait-fish is probably "cruel". But the bait-fish is sacrificing himself so the other bait-fish may live. Of course, I throw everything back. Fishing is probably the source of all my bad karma. But I do live in New Jersey so I am already paying a lot.

I don't plan to stop fishing in spite of PETA. Just look at the Jains. The Jains cover their face so they don't accidentally kill any bugs by inhaling them. Oh well, everyone is on their own path to enlightenment.

The best thing about fishing is you sit around for hours doing nothing waiting for something good and exciting to happen.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I'm against any unnecessary killing. I don't like sport fishing. fish for the skill and to eat. Catch and release fishing is cruel IMO.

Jaden
edit on 10-6-2019 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Peta makes me want to go out and buy a $125,000 ranger bass boat with all the extras.

All Peta is for is a marketing campaign to get people angry so they fish and hunt more.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

I'm against any unnecessary killing. I don't like sport fishing. fish for the skill and to eat. Catch and release fishing is cruel IMO.

Jaden

I caught a 14 pound blue catfish once and removed 3 hooks from his mouth including a jug line before I released it back.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I belong to a closed Facebook group.... 'Filet and Release'.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You realize that in some cases, part of using bait fish is to hook them in such a way as to leave them alive. Their swimming action is what makes them attractive to the fish you are trying to catch?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join