It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Is Now Under Attack By PETA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
So I wonder if they are going to lobby Congress to force fishing communities and commercial fishing industry to stop fishing. Just like former Potus insisted on sacking the coal industry for his radical beliefs.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny
In the UK, factions within the RSPCA (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have been pushing this argument for years, I believe. But I think i'm right in saying that the RSPCA doesn't take up this line officially, as a body, because it has too many individual members who like going fishing and don't see a problem.
I take it that PETA has a smaller proportion of "fishing" members, or isn't dependent on them.

P.S. In fact I've now tracked down the official RSPCA policy, which stops far short of opposing the sport;

5.11.1 The RSPCA believes that current practices in angling involve the infliction of pain and suffering on fish.The Medway Report has proved to the satisfaction of the RSPCA that fish are capable of experiencing pain and suffering. The RSPCA advocates that those anglers who see fit to pursue their activities adopt a code of practice based on this report.

edit on 10-6-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Keep in mind that this is the same PETA that kills almost 90% of the pets they "rescue".

So when this money hungry group with the blood of kittens and puppies dripping from it's hands demands justice for animals I just laugh and laugh....

until I remember they take in almost $60 million a year.

It is easy to hate the group that has to do the dirty work. Most of the animals that PETA comes into contact with are in horrible situations, and the truth is that there are many many many more unwanted pets than could ever possibly be adopted. What is better, letting an animal suffer a slow and painless death with an owner that is neglectful, abusive, or absent, or giving it a painless and swift death?

There has been a smear campaign against PETA headed by market psychologist Richard Berman- the same guy that targeted kids in the 70's with appealing cigarette ads- remember Joe Camel?

For many years I had read things like “PETA kills animals”. I did not buy into it so I did my own research and observations. It seemed quite contrived and corporate what those people were saying about PETA. Several times people accused PETA of killing animals and in the same sentence they accused them of caring more about animals than humans. So I was wondering, if those hater people cared about animals then would they not be happy that PETA cares that much about animals? And if the haters didn’t care about animals, then why would they care about their death? This appeared like a manufactured patch work of not so well fitting arguments against PETA. Research after research brought me to Richard Berman. A market psychologist working for the corporations, Richard Berman writes smear campaign articles and creates all types of propaganda using different modalities like text, film and images, in order to turn the public against an organization or person, or make people buy certain products. One can visit his website Center for Consumer Freedom and order anything from an infinite buffet of slander tactics, peer pressuring video clips and commercials for any agenda. Market psychologists like Berman have done all kinds of things already, they lured kids into smoking cigarettes in the 70s, they made us buy eco unfriendly washing powder, they said that meat is healthy (while meat is a killer), they hired false scientists to proclaim that pollution does not create CO2 emissions, and they turned a whopping number of people against Hillary Clinton, just to name a few true examples among thousands. Richard Berman knows the secrets to advertising things the effective way. He himself has no problems with kids smoking, eating meat, drinking milk and ruining their health. After all, he gets paid millions for each propaganda.
SOURCE

Spay and neuter your pets- if you are able to adopt, do it. If everyone did this, there would be no need for PETA to have such high euthanasia rates and they could focus their resources elsewhere.

OP: Do some research, fish are intelligent conscious beings and do feel pain. My fishing experiences as a youth are part of what keeps me from doing it again: I enjoyed being in the outdoors with family, but putting a creature through that experience seems barbaric unless you are in an extreme survival situation.
edit on 6102019 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Plants feel pain, so I urge all vegans to self-euthanize :-) No fish were harmed in the production of this reply.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In the UK, factions within the RSPCA (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have been pushing this argument for years, I believe. But I think i'm right in saying that the RSPCA doesn't take up this line officially, as a body, because it has too many individual members who like going fishing and don't see a problem.
I take it that PETA has a smaller proportion of "fishing" members, or isn't dependent on them.

P.S. In fact I've now tracked down the official RSPCA policy, which stops far short of opposing the sport;

5.11.1 The RSPCA believes that current practices in angling involve the infliction of pain and suffering on fish.The Medway Report has proved to the satisfaction of the RSPCA that fish are capable of experiencing pain and suffering. The RSPCA advocates that those anglers who see fit to pursue their activities adopt a code of practice based on this report.

I don't see what is wrong with educating recreational fishing people on the proper handling and release of fish. My husband and I love catch and release fishing and I educated myself and hubby on how to make sure they are released back in good/survival condition.

gonefishingday.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

You should see PETA's page on keeping a fish in an aquarium. It's all about how horrible you are for doing it, and then they tell you "not to despair" if you already do and try to smooth things over by giving you some bare bones advice.

What PETA doesn't realize, or don't care about if they do, is that thanks to habitat destruction for a variety of reasons quite unrelated to the pet trade in a lot of cases, there quite a few species who only exist thanks to the pet trade and care of hobbyists who work hard to make sure they keep lineages pure so the species remain the species.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

originally posted by: abe froman
Keep in mind that this is the same PETA that kills almost 90% of the pets they "rescue".

So when this money hungry group with the blood of kittens and puppies dripping from it's hands demands justice for animals I just laugh and laugh....

until I remember they take in almost $60 million a year.

It is easy to hate the group that has to do the dirty work. Most of the animals that PETA comes into contact with are in horrible situations, and the truth is that there are many many many more unwanted pets than could ever possibly be adopted. What is better, letting an animal suffer a slow and painless death with an owner that is neglectful, abusive, or absent, or giving it a painless and swift death?

There has been a smear campaign against PETA headed by market psychologist Richard Berman- the same guy that targeted kids in the 70's with appealing cigarette ads- remember Joe Camel?

For many years I had read things like “PETA kills animals”. I did not buy into it so I did my own research and observations. It seemed quite contrived and corporate what those people were saying about PETA. Several times people accused PETA of killing animals and in the same sentence they accused them of caring more about animals than humans. So I was wondering, if those hater people cared about animals then would they not be happy that PETA cares that much about animals? And if the haters didn’t care about animals, then why would they care about their death? This appeared like a manufactured patch work of not so well fitting arguments against PETA. Research after research brought me to Richard Berman. A market psychologist working for the corporations, Richard Berman writes smear campaign articles and creates all types of propaganda using different modalities like text, film and images, in order to turn the public against an organization or person, or make people buy certain products. One can visit his website Center for Consumer Freedom and order anything from an infinite buffet of slander tactics, peer pressuring video clips and commercials for any agenda. Market psychologists like Berman have done all kinds of things already, they lured kids into smoking cigarettes in the 70s, they made us buy eco unfriendly washing powder, they said that meat is healthy (while meat is a killer), they hired false scientists to proclaim that pollution does not create CO2 emissions, and they turned a whopping number of people against Hillary Clinton, just to name a few true examples among thousands. Richard Berman knows the secrets to advertising things the effective way. He himself has no problems with kids smoking, eating meat, drinking milk and ruining their health. After all, he gets paid millions for each propaganda.
SOURCE

Spay and neuter your pets- if you are able to adopt, do it. If everyone did this, there would be no need for PETA to have such high euthanasia rates and they could focus their resources elsewhere.

OP: Do some research, fish are intelligent conscious beings and do feel pain. My fishing experiences as a youth are part of what keeps me from doing it again: I enjoyed being in the outdoors with family, but putting a creature through that experience seems barbaric unless you are in an extreme survival situation.

Really, fish are "intelligent conscious beings" and I guess you can tell a convincing AI or robot from a sentient being right? They appear more as biological robots fine tuned to perform specific tasks, like anything based on DNA. I see you have a boogeyman, Richard Berman, to blame. Interesting, if people believe propaganda it's their own fault, not the messenger's. I look at the situation with people like Clinton, big lies about not being a criminal, biased and delusional people believed it. Clinton is at fault for her criminality and treasons, but not for trying to convince people she wasn't a criminal and a traitor, that's called survival.

So by your quote, "It is easy to hate the group that has to do the dirty work" I guess we can apply this to military people that the crazy dems (pretty much all PETA) like to hate? Say stupid stuff it cuts both ways ;-) So, maybe if people spayed or neutered their democrats and PETA employees, yada yada yada lol.

We have to get rid of this mental disease called liberalism somehow, right?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I was thinking that would be the perfect time to make a bad cast and hook somebody in the ear . Lol

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

As a long-time hobbyist, fish do have individual personalities; some species of fish have more developed personality then others. They do have the ability to differentiate their owner from other humans. Certainly they can recognize the human who feeds them from others.

When fed a varied diet, they will also be able to tell what's on the menu for the day by learning what the container holds. Certain containers get a more frenzied response than others.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Trees have feelings too m.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I have been busting my arse my whole life picking up or moving heavy objects around and I'm an animal. Where is my PETA love?
Its called conservation. I have caught fish with holes in their lips from hooks and released them...….to small to eat. I remember one time I caught a smally and the poor little guy had a jig coming out of its butt. Pooping it out. Where was Peta then? I helped that little dude and set it free.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

That's true.

Sometimes, the lake you fish at has rules. You can only keep fish in a certain size range, so if you get one larger or smaller than the range, you have to let it go unless it's clearly a goner for some reason -- swallowed the hook or hooked in the gills or something.

It's not like you can really control which fish are going to take your bait or jog or whatever you're using.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I support PETA's efforts to stop those who buy into their brand of BS from going fishing this summer, or any summer. Less rats, more cheese. Tight lines, and fish on.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

The earbuds in my ears while I am fishing drown out the voices of most assholes... the big bore on my hip while I am fishing will drown out any assholes stupid enough to push it beyond their voices. And if homeboy were to touch the fish I'd just caught, he'd be kissing the pavement and in Alaska, the law wouldn't do a damn thing to me for it. That's not a boast or a flex, it's the simple truth.

All of that said, dude needs to get his fish off those sun soaked concrete. A bled and cooled fish is a tastier fish.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

If you've ever gotten a fish hook stuck in you, you realize that there must be some pain involved.

Scientific studies have yet to find pain receptors in fish brains. This would indicate that fish do not feel pain and are fighting being pulled by the line/flight response rather than a reaction to pain. Personal experience would seem to indicate this is an accurate scientific theory. Damn near anyone who has fished has caught fish they didn't even realize were on their line, hook solidly embedded in the fish's mouth. The only reason the fish wasn't fighting until the fisherman started reeling in was the line had enough slack for the fish to not feel physical resistance... in other words, the actual hook piercing their mouth went totally unnoticed.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: dfnj2015

You realize that in some cases, part of using bait fish is to hook them in such a way as to leave them alive. Their swimming action is what makes them attractive to the fish you are trying to catch?

This depends. A lot of western states have outlawed live bait (due to concerns over introduction of a new species into lakes where they don't naturally exist). If you're going after scavenger fish like cats, bullhead, or burbot, a cut bait works well on the bottom. If you're fishing for a predator species, then you tip a lure or use a cut plug rig to make the dead fish "swim" though the water column. During winter, you can ice fish with a cut and scored oily baitfish under a tip up rig for pike and burbot, as well.

Honestly, if someone is fishing catch and release, don't use bait. Bait caught fish usually take the hook deeper and you either kill the fish by removing the hook from esophagus or deeper or cut the leader and let the hook disolve inside the fish.

I know a little about fishing.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yet these are the same MORONS who have no qualms with the murder of newborns whom survive abortions, or even the unborn up to the due date... These are the same MORONS whom claim that the "unborn are not sentient beings that feel any pain" That they are "a clump of cells only, a virus, etc, etc. Ironic isn't it?... These people want to afford more rights to "animals" than to "humans."

BTW, I am against animal cruelty, but I am also against the idiotic laws the left keep on pushing forth "trying to save Earth and animals..."

Soon enough PETA will do the same things the nazis did... Send fishermen to concentration camps for cutting up frogs for bait, or for boiling crabs...

edit on 10-6-2019 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I tend to think fish probably feel some sort of pain, but I have to eat. Eating vegetables and greens alone isn’t going to do it for me. I need some sort of meat or fish in my diet. I have gone on very strict diets where I cut out a lot of red meat. I end up getting so sick that I go back to my original diet.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: chr0naut

If you've ever gotten a fish hook stuck in you, you realize that there must be some pain involved.

Scientific studies have yet to find pain receptors in fish brains. This would indicate that fish do not feel pain and are fighting being pulled by the line/flight response rather than a reaction to pain. Personal experience would seem to indicate this is an accurate scientific theory. Damn near anyone who has fished has caught fish they didn't even realize were on their line, hook solidly embedded in the fish's mouth. The only reason the fish wasn't fighting until the fisherman started reeling in was the line had enough slack for the fish to not feel physical resistance... in other words, the actual hook piercing their mouth went totally unnoticed.

Seems a little bit excessive waste of energy and evolution to have a fully formed vertebrate nervous system and not be able to do something as basic and necessary to survival as have a pain response?

There are pain receptors (nociceptors) in fish brains and nervous systems. There are also indications that they have opioid receptors there too (used to moderate pain). Why might that be?

If you do something that would cause the fish pain, all the same signals cascade through their nerves and light up the same centers of their brains as seem analogous to ours. Just as we do, when we feel pain. And we know we can use morphine to block their apparent pain responses.

It’s Official: Fish Feel Pain - Smithsonian.com

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Science is a bit more complex than that.
www.sciencedaily.com...
Obviously they respond to stimuli, but they lack some features (such as a neocortex) which is instrumental in science's understanding of the sensation of "pain."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join