It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School gives nonverbal Autistic boy most annoying student award

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Calm down pettel don’t take this seriously I don’t.

Now where did I leave those crayons

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Calm down pettel don’t take this seriously I don’t.

Now where did I leave those crayons

What gives you the impression I am upset or taking you seriously?

I already said if random people want to joke about this its fine. Just expect to be joked back at.

I do take offense to a special ed teacher mocking the kid though, that's entirely different.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

So again, I guess you would have no problem if the teacher gave a kid who was molested a biggest slur award

You guess wrong but you are welcome to continue your righteous indignation without knowing all of the facts.

The kid was happy with his award but his parents weren't , I wonder who was awarded the most annoying female and why no fuss from her parents ?

So the kid being happy (even when the parents said he didn't understand the award) is the criteria for it being ok?

So again, if a disabled child was molested (which btw having autism and other developmental disabilities significantly increases the chances of being sexually abused) and gets a biggest slut award for it and doesn't understand it, as long as that kid smiles and likes the trophy its ok?

And the article says the other awards given out were all positive awards, so apparently no fussy female award, although that is irrelevant

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: gortex

Wow

So again, I guess you would have no problem if the teacher gave a kid who was molested a biggest slur award

Well that escalated quickly.

Nice to see your still a pro at the strawman am going to put words in your mouth game.

Nobody is talking about a molested kid, just a annoying autistic kid getting the award for being most annoying.

If you think about it, it’s possible to win this award and still be autistic almost feels prejudical for you to argue that he should receive the award on the basis of his disability
edit on 8-6-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

a reply to: gortex

Wow

Well that escalated quickly.

Nice to see your still a pro at the strawman am going to put words in your mouth game.

Nobody is talking about a molested kid, just a annoying autistic kid getting the award for being most annoying.

If you think about it, it’s possible to win this award and still be autistic almost feels prejudical for you to argue that he should receive the award on the basis of his disability

Nah not prejudicial, just common sense,.

Its cool, you go ahead and cheer for teachers mocking autistic kids.

I guess there is some line where its ok for teachers to make fun of disabilities and serious illnesses but not sexual abuse.

But that's fine, no need to have another example, your stance on its won is enough to make you look ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I guess there is some line where its ok for teachers to make fun of disabilities and serious illnesses but not sexual abuse.

Who is making fun of sexual abuse though.....?

Nobody so why are you even talking about it.

Its cool, you go ahead and cheer for teachers mocking autistic kids.

To be fair am sure even you have had a giggle at some of them trying the three-legged race on sports day?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Nah I don't really laugh at the struggles of disabled kids much.

But again, I am able to keep up joking and arguing with adults.

If I were someone like you that is incapable, I can see the need to mock disabled kids

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
What if all the kids in his class had autism, and he just happened to be the most annoying one of them? Would it be okay then?

If the answer to this question is "no", then the issue isn't about autism or being disabled, but rather the label of 'most annoying' in any group of students, disabled or not.

So, to this end, I tend to agree with some of the people who are suggesting that pretending the situation to be something other than it is for the sake of PC'ness is a slippery slope.

Consequently, my contribution here is basically this...I think there should be more awards in schools for 'most annoying', 'most disrespectful', 'most belligerent', 'most bad attitude', 'most entitled attitude', etc.

This, over everyone getting a trophy for just showing up.

That's life.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Awww you should try it, it’s good fun, sometimes I like to walk down to my local special needs school and poke the fat ones with a stick. Just for a laught you know.

But again, I am able to keep up joking and arguing with adults

If I were someone like you that is incapable, I can see the need to mock disabled kids

So much irony in this....

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Disagree

So one, if it turns out the other kids in the class weren't non verbal for example, then would that change your mind.

Second, I have no problem with humor or tough love.

Teachers mocking a kid with a disability, even if all the other kids are disabled, is not helpful or funny in any way.

Your implication is if there were more negative awards, it would teach kids some humility and sense of humor, etc.

Even if that's true, what utility does that have when the kid is disabled to the point he doesn't understand the award?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Awww you should try it, it’s good fun, sometimes I like to walk down to my local special needs school and poke the fat ones with a stick. Just for a laught you know.

But again, I am able to keep up joking and arguing with adults

So much irony in this....

Whats your claim of irony?

Are you putting yourself on the level of an autistic child and saying me mocking you is ironic?

Perhaps you have a point.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

My claim of irony is you not being able to recognise an adult joking with you.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

So the kid being happy (even when the parents said he didn't understand the award) is the criteria for it being ok?

I think it's part of it , isn't the kids happiness important , he got a shiny when otherwise he wouldn't.

You seem to see this as an attack when there's every likelihood it is done in good humour , if it#s a special school for kids with mental problems why would they poke fun at a kid with mental problems .

So again, if a disabled child was molested (which btw having autism and other developmental disabilities significantly increases the chances of being sexually abused) and gets a biggest slut award for it and doesn't understand it, as long as that kid smiles and likes the trophy its ok?

That argument is beneath you , at least I thought it was.

And the article says the other awards given out were all positive awards, so apparently no fussy female award, although that is irrelevant

I don't think it is irrelevant nor do I think it was the only one if the award was for ""most annoying male" , logic would dictate there must be a "most annoying female" otherwise it would be for "most annoying student" , unless they're sexist as well as heartless.

The article is short on detail so it's hard to come to a firm conclusion but if the school is for special needs and this award is not the first I don't see a reason to see it as anything other than what it is.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Even if that's true, what utility does that have when the kid is disabled to the point he doesn't understand the award?

None in you world, just keep them indoors, locked up form the real world where they don’t have to deal with people making fun of them, that way they never need to develop those utilities.
edit on 8-6-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

My point was to divorce the disability issue from the award issue.

Plus, you don't know the context of the award, nor the child it was awarded to (or the parent). "Non-verbal" doesn't necessarily mean silent or not disruptive. In any case, that's not my point.

My point was about awards in general, not about autism or disabled children.

However, to answer your question directly; what utility does it have? Maybe it has utility to the parent who does understand it.
edit on 6/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
It feels like some context is missing in this story. Did this occur in a school/facility for people with mental handicaps? Did all the others get silly awards too? Could the student in question see the funny side of it themselves? Parental outrage is not necessarily the best thing to base a news article on, imho.

the father says the kid had no clue what the meaning of the award was he just liked it because it was shiny

How does the father know that, if the kids nonverbal?

Anyway, seems to me the only people discriminating this kid because of his disability are the parents themselves.

He got an award and was happy about it, it probably made him feel normal and apart of the group... Then the parents create a scene because they don't want him being treated as normal or apart the group, they want him to be treated differently.

... It's not exactly a good way to instil confidence.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Oh, and BTW...my implication was not about teaching children some humility or humor. It was about teaching them not to be the most annoying male (or female...or whatever they identify with). Because, until someone tells them (or their parents) the way others perceive their actions or words, they will never learn to act appropriately and risk being mocked (or worse).

ETA - Again, this is not about a disability.

edit on 6/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

It's a sad day when all these people on here think it was acceptable..... even though the school district has said it was not.

And the award even had a spelling mistake.....

I totally agree with you and am disgusted.
edit on 8-6-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

And the award even had a spelling mistake.....

Perhaps the kids got to make their own awards....

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The child does not understand the award..... so how is he going to be able to take on board that he is the most annoying male?

Can you understand what I have stated?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join