It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School gives nonverbal Autistic boy most annoying student award

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: efabian

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: latic
Just a thought but what if, to the other kids in his class, he was actually annoying?

What made the kid annoying? Actions/behaviour ? Noises? Lack of noises? Should the kids be brain washed to not consider the kid annoying or should they just be allowed to be kids?

Are you people serious?

So if the kids think that autism is annoying, then the teacher is obligated to give an award mocking the kid with autism?

Unbelievable

So I guess if the kids think one kid is ugly, the teacher must give an ugliest kid award to that kid, right?

It would be of bad taste, sure.
But remember, life does not care if you are offended or not.

Make them strong now, you are not going to be there forever to protect them from the real world.

The kid didn’t even understand the award, so how does it make him strong?

I call out pc culture as much as the next person

But your stance of teachers should call kids ugly and make fun of their learning disabilities is insane

edit on 8-6-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Just a thought but what if, to the other kids in his class, he was actually annoying?

What made the kid annoying? Actions/behaviour ? Noises? Lack of noises? Should the kids be brain washed to not consider the kid annoying or should they just be allowed to be kids?

Are you people serious?

So if the kids think that autism is annoying, then the teacher is obligated to give an award mocking the kid with autism?

Unbelievable

So I guess if the kids think one kid is ugly, the teacher must give an ugliest kid award to that kid, right?

Make them strong now, you are not going to be there forever to protect them from the real world.

I'm all for throwing people to the wolves.

So just to be sure I went back to the OP and reread it.

We are talking about an 11 year old autistic child being given an award for being "problematic".

What/Who do you think is being taught anything? Doesn't it seem more likely that this could have been a failure of the often fallible institutions vs being an overreaction from the parents?

I love playing devils advocate as much as the next. But basically towing the line that we need to teach this 11 year old autistic "about the real world" seems a bit insensitive and maybe a bit fruitless?
edit on 8-6-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'm not commenting on what the teacher did as to be honest I cannot find the otherside of the story so cannot judge it. Simply trying to look at the situation itself and what could have led to the events.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   

The teacher did not make the call, the students did.
The article seems to be overly bias on the issue, I am 99% sure the teacher is not making fun of the kid.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I'm not commenting on what the teacher did as to be honest I cannot find the otherside of the story so cannot judge it. Simply trying to look at the situation itself and what could have led to the events.

To your original post

Kids will be kids. They don’t have societal skills to be as civil as adults do, and this their bluntness is to be expected

As parents and educators, we should seek to instill this civility and foster an understanding of things such as Austin’s appearing annoying but working to have an understanding of it

That has nothing at all to do with what I am talking about

There is zero excuse for a teacher to give that award mocking a kid with autism. Even if the kids did find the kid annoying the teacher is an adult, who teaches special ed, and should not bow down to pressure from the kids in her class in order to mock a child with autism

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

The article seems to be overly bias on the issue, I am 99% sure the teacher is not making fun of the kid.

Good point, it's the children(immature) that decided to isolate and criticize another child(happens all the time in schools) for their disability/behavior.

Apparently, all the teacher did, as a gatekeeper, is rubber stamp it and pass it on to the child being ostricized/bullied.

How is that not equally condemning of someone meant to be an "educator".

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Are you people serious?

Unbelievable

We are talking about an 11 year old autistic child being given an award for being "problematic".

What/Who do you think is being taught anything? Doesn't it seem more likely that this could have been a failure of the often fallible institutions vs being an overreaction from the parents?

I love playing devils advocate as much as the next. But basically towing the line that we need to teach this 11 year old autistic "about the real world" seems a bit insensitive and maybe a bit fruitless?

Like I said, life does not care if it's fruitless or useful.
He should be treated as an equal.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   

The teacher gave the award. Was she forced to by the kids?

If the kids wanted to give out a gets molested by their parents award out, would the teacher have also been obligated to give that out?

Is this where we are at with education now?

Teacher “sorry I made fun of the autistic kid for his illness. It what the other kids wanted me to do so I can’t be blamed”

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Are you people serious?

Unbelievable

Making fun of a kids illness is not being treated equally

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I do not understand why you guys automatically think that they are making fun of his illness.
It is very plausible that the kid is actually annoying.

Probably the kid was thrilled to be included in something.
edit on 6/8/2019 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Are you people serious?

Unbelievable

And further more in this

So if everyone regardless of illness or age should be treated equal, even to the point of a special ed teacher mocking an autistic child

Where do you draw the line

If anyone ever bit me , I would punch them in the face as hard as I can

So if I am babysitting a toddler, and it bites me, the equal thing to do it to punch it in the face as hard as I can, right

That equal treatment

Or is there some reason for an exception there

When you realize that reason, apply it to a teacher mocking an autistic student and you will see how insane your position is

link   

Are you people serious?

Unbelievable

I'd agree, if it weren't an 11 year old child being ridiculed by adults.

I'd have a hard time if it were a 21 year old disabled adult being ridiculed by an adult, though I'd be more likely to move more on the side of "life does not care" in that sense.

Mental state aside, should most adults go around criticizing 11 year old children for their lack of understanding "of the world" in any case?

link   

I do not understand why you guys automatically think that they are making fun of his illness.

Yes the dad must be lying saying his kid didn’t even understand the award

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   

So, being autistic and all... would it be possible that the kid does not understand he is annoying?
Your answer does not invalidate the premise in the post.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

So, being autistic and all... would it be possible that the kid does not understand he is annoying?

Of course his autism, being non verbal rocking back and forth could all very well be annoying, and there is a very good chance he doesn’t understand that concept as his father says

So he should be mocked for that by the teacher?

Again, please explain why we shouldn’t punch babies in the face if they bite us.

Or are you being pc and treating the baby differently?
edit on 8-6-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   
How would you deal with a different kid who was annoying? If it was the "John Bender" trouble-maker from the Breakfast Club, would you hand him an award? Remember, the point of that role in the movie was that the kid was messed up because his environment was unsurvivable.

One of the problems in counseling, is that one person comes in as the "identified patient"--the problem who needs to be solved. This is also the final stage of Adler's manifestation of the misbehaving child: when the child accepts the label and says, "this is who I am". sort of a young version of the army's "embrace the suck." The kid at that point is far more difficult to reach, since they believe they deserve to be hated and abused. These kids misbehave on purpose, as if to confirm what authority figures have already decided.

I would argue that it isn't appropriate to give anyone a "bum steer award". If an employee is problematic, you address it through HR, not the Christmas office party.

I worked with criminals for years; labeling them never helped me or anyone else in enforcement do a better job. What proved most effective was frankly an off-the-record conversation in the hallway, after they had just had their rear handed to them by a judge.

Correction in public is not really correction; it is "Big Me / Little You", and really about the authority figure magnifying their own power and authority.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Of course his autism, being non verbal rocking back and forth could all very well be annoying, and there is a very good chance he doesn’t understand that concept as his father says

So he should be mocked for that by the teacher?

Again, please explain why we shouldn’t punch babies in the face if they bite us.

Or are you being pc and treating the baby differently?

I am not completely sure the teacher is actually making fun of the kid.
Your example is somewhat disingenuous, it is not completely comparable.

I have to go to sleep, tomorrow I will give this issue a more thorough analysis and continue this conversation.
Gnt.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   

That's a valid point.

But don't you think the role of a special educator is equally about not only the child but their family?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I'm actually shocked that I'm in the apparent minority on this.

Look, I'm annoyed by most people with learning disabilities(99.9 percent of the human race, in comparison to me), so how the hell am I apparently the "compassionate" one in this.

I chalk it all up to the tendency for circular arguments of those that love to argue an opposing point no matter what the actually believe, just to be contrarian.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Obviously the "Educated" ones involved are "success stories" of the decades old "Education" college degree system that has "mass-produced" the end results 😎

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join