It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School gives nonverbal Autistic boy most annoying student award

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian

I like the way you think haha.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I'd like to hear the other side of the story. It is odd that a "special education teacher" was trying to mock one of her special education students. Sure its possible it was meant to mock the child, but it is still very odd.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My question is why they even have a ‘most annoying student award’.

Autistic or not it’s just plain common sense for teachers to stay away from giving out awards such as these , and especially to encourage their students to vote on them.
edit on 8-6-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It's always a bad deal to be out of step with your factions assigned position in the outrage cycle. Too bad that kid's dad had to hear a special education teacher "cancel" her autistic student.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: vonclod

That's the hell of it though, the kid very well might understand and not be able to control what's happening.

I hear you, I read the child was pretty deep in the spectrum, and did not understand..but who's to say. A super assholey thing to do in any case.
In my world the teacher might be qualifying for the "most black eyes received" in 3 seconds award.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: efabian
I'll have to agree with MR Spock... the title is just hilarious.

Obviously it's of bad taste... but if the kid is actually annoying, why should they be afraid of saying the truth?
Life is hard, there will always be somebody that is going to get the short end of the stick.

PC culture is a slippery slope, make one exception and they take a mile.
Liberty above all.

So you think a "most annoying" award for any 11 year old is appropriate because "life is hard?" Or could it maybe...possibly be reasonable for grade-school teachers to use a modicum of respect for the children they teach?

Adults setting the example of how to be a worthless sack of trash for 11 year old children isn't the direction most people want for the world.

If it was me, I probably would have taught the teacher another life lesson: sometimes, when you're an a-hole to someone's kid, you get your ass beat to a pulp.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I'd like to hear the other side of the story. It is odd that a "special education teacher" was trying to mock one of her special education students. Sure its possible it was meant to mock the child, but it is still very odd.

I would like to hear the other side as well, but it comes down to, if any adult was aware of this (which they were) and did nothing to stop it (they actually facilitated it), they don't belong in education, let alone special education for autistic children. This would have been shocking in the mid-80s when I was 11. My mom tells me it would have sounded every bit as awful and inhuman when she started teaching in the late 1960's.

Some people (not saying you), seem to think this is a PC thing. Its not. Its any halfway decent human being thinks this is awful.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: efabian
I'll have to agree with MR Spock... the title is just hilarious.

Obviously it's of bad taste... but if the kid is actually annoying, why should they be afraid of saying the truth?
Life is hard, there will always be somebody that is going to get the short end of the stick.

PC culture is a slippery slope, make one exception and they take a mile.
Liberty above all.

So how would you feel if you had a child that had lost a leg and the school gave him or her an award for being the slowest person in the 100yd dash?

How do you think that would make the child feel?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I think the person/s that came up with this and thought it was good idea should get the POS of the year award. As dogstar already stated this has nothing to do with being PC but being a decent human being. A little compassion for those less fortunate than ones self isn’t going to hurt anyone.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Boy, this is going to be the top thread ever on ATS!

The virtue shaming here is just unreal!!

The authors of the MSM link in the OP should get an award for best thread ever!!

Unbelievable!!

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Boy, this is going to be the top thread ever on ATS!

The virtue shaming here is just unreal!!

The authors of the MSM link in the OP should get an award for best thread ever!!

Unbelievable!!

Again I don’t get where this is virtue shaming

I call out pc culture al the time you ats

I even don’t have a problem with comedians mocking this kid for his illness

I just don’t want his teacher doing it

You seem to feel there are some lines we can’t mock disabled kids for, like if they were molested

I don’t think that means you would be virtue shaming if you called out a teacher for making those jokes

So why wouldn’t the same apply to people who don’t want teachers making fun of autism symptoms?
edit on 8-6-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I don't think teachers should make fun of their students at all.

By the time kids get to high school, there might be a place for something like this because kids have a better grasp of humor and are closer to adulthood, themselves. It's closer to a game of equals then, but for a gradeschool kid, this is out of bounds. Adults are clear authority figures, or should be. And authority figures have no place demeaning the kids in their charge even in play.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

G, with all due respect, I really thought quite a bit more from you before today. I honestly did.

Yes, you've picked a internet hot item and made a big deal out of it, but I expected more balance from you than what you have displayed.

Okay, we disagree, but I thought we were more mature than this. I'm disappointed.

You've displayed a very narrow mind, and you have also displayed some denial to the things I've said.

Again, your issue is not with autism, nor disabilities, but rather the moniker of "most annoying". Yet you've chosen to couch this argument into the ridicule of disabled children when I have clearly pointed out to you the two arguments are completely separate. But, again and again, you try to join these to arguments for traction.

As I've said, I'm disappointed in you for this. I thought your debate skills were better. I even watch your u-toob channel, but now I see you have some serious bias and I should perhaps rethink that.

Normally we agree, and I really like your posts, but it seems you have gone over the edge on this particular subject.

I previously stated...okay, we disagree. However you just won't let that go.

Carry on...the mods are on your side, over-starring every post disagreeing with you with 4-5 stars. I could care less. I just thought better of you.

This article was a piece designed to make you mad, and it succeeded. Along with many others. You've spent all day here arguing this posture, but again, you have no idea of the context, the school, the child or the parents...do you? You're only going by what the MSM told you.

I'm disappointed, but I will remember.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
DBL
edit on 6/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Well I guess the feelings mutual

I thought we were having a calm discussion

You thinking less of me and not wanting to watch my videos is quite the reaction to a disagreement

You thinking my debating skills are diminished for my stance on this is your opinion, I feel quite comfortable in my take on it

I wasn’t attacking you, I was rebutting your points

If you can’t engage in a discussion without whining the mods are against you and lecturing me about how disappointed you are and you will stop watching me, then so be it

All for my controversial stance i don’t want special ed teachers mocking autistic students

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I don't know. I can't think of any circumstance where it would appropriate to award a disabled child with a disorder like autism that is known to cause behavioral difficulties an award for being the most annoying. I'm not sure what the school. teacher, and family have to do with it.

Even if the family insisted the school take the child on, it's not the child's fault. Why punish the child?

Even if the school forced the teacher to take the child on, it's not the child's fault. Why punish the child?

I guess what I'm driving at is that in all circumstances, there is very little the kid himself is in control of, including his own behavior at times thanks to the autism. So what possible cause is there to punish him for that?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ketsuko, I understand where you are coming from. I've read every one of your posts here. You don't need to continue to reinforce it. I understand your position.

I appreciate your opinion. I don't really have a disagreement with it, nor an agreement. Hence my lack of response, and my apologies for that.

I understand where you are coming from, and you make good points (as usual). I thank you for that. Your points are duly noted.

My issue here is with Grambler, who seemingly is not able to separate the issue of the label versus the disability, and I absolutely think the two issues are separate.

Hopefully you will understand my point.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Ketsukos point is near identical to mine

Neither of us think it’s acceptable for a teacher to give a student with autism a most annoying award

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

You should already know I don't care about the mods! I get as many posts biffed as you do, and I argue with them just like you (presumably) do.

No, I'm not mad. You underestimate me. Yes, I will probably still watch your videos, but, I will do so with an eye towards our debate.

No, I know you weren't "attacking" me...believe me, I've seen far worse. And the mods just have a soft spot for this subject...no worries. We don't win or lose based on stars or flags, right? We're both big boys.

Lastly, yes, you really don't have to state your position for the 37th time. I get it...you don't want anyone "disparaging" kids with autism. I totally get it. You really don't need to repeat it over, and over, and over again! Okay?

ETA - I really did read it the first 37 times; I don't need to read it another 37 times more.

edit on 6/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Well you bright up the mods and stars, which is the only reason I mentioned them

As far as my position, you are not accurate in what you say it is

I have said many times I have no problem with people making fun of kids with autism

Not my cup of tea, but to each their own

My issue is only with the teacher of a kid with autism making fun of them

Even if you disagree with that, I feel your comments how this makes me less of a debater or may affect your opinion of me on videos is a huge overreaction

No two people will ever agree on everything, and so to have such a visceral reaction to my take seems extreme, but fair enough

However, I am honestly puzzled how you respect ketsukos opinion on this and disagree with mine so much that you now think less of me when they are nearly the identical opinion?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join