It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans think fake news is big problem

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

About 40% of CNN's revenue comes from advertising. There are groups composed of people who boycott specific products that advertise on CNN. You e-mail the advertising company and let them know you will not buy their product as long as they advertise on CNN. I was an active participant during 2018.

CNN's revenues have declined to the point where they're laying off people in the USA and in Europe. It makes me feel good to think that I might have been a teeny-tiny contributor to that decline in revenue.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That observation was not ''planted'' by the msm, it was clear to a number of us from early on, well before he was even the nominee.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Ironically enough, even the AP news report linked contained blatant bias.

Read it closer, and realize that even while admitting it's a problem, the story engages in it!

From the article linked, for example :

"President Donald Trump, who often makes remarks that aren't true"

Incredible.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Since in ENTIRE narrative about what the US is, what does / does not matter, how Anti-Free the Land of the Free is, how screwed we really are, and so on such as the keys to the mass manipulation behind it all are, I'll agree Fake News is the biggest problem right now. The "News" is completely FAKE, that is. Its so FAKE it even beLIEves in itself. Truth just goes right over its own head. It isnt even capable of comprehending it. Which of course is a brilliant achievement (in idiocy).
edit on 6-6-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It's a stretch anymore that some networks even have the word "news" in their title. Even sadder is that the worst of the propaganda networks feels the need to double down on their deception with the slogan "The Most Trusted Name In News". It's crazy that people actually believe what these hacks tell them but they do.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
BUT THE U.S. OF A is a consumer nation right, fake news is exactly what all aggressive advertising really is, when was the last time you saw honest advertising.

Hey come to big Jim's we have everything you need right here under one roof and our prices are the best in the county - except for Moran's, Lany's, Henson's.

THE ONLY WAY TO COMBAT FAKE NEWS ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IS TO TELL PEOPLE THE ACTUAL TRUTH IN THE FIRST PLACE and all of it.

And since information is power, sorry never going to happen.

This war on fake news is really about censorship nothing more and nothing less.

And it - the war on fake news - is actually a contravention of your freedom of speech and a threat to your liberty far more than the fake news itself ever was.

A dangerous road to walk but how else are they going to lead the sheep into the slaughter pen.

edit on 6-6-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

That observation was not ''planted'' by the msm, it was clear to a number of us from early on, well before he was even the nominee.

did a number of you mention this in posts or threads early on? Or did you keep it a secret out of respect for Trump?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   

... what with the left voting base finally realizing that EVERYONE in their favorite media just lied to them for 2 1/2 years,

Sadly its not lies. Its all true. He really is that bad.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Fake news is fake news. It's all side show politics designed to prevent any legislation being passed that changes the status quo.

There's a reason NOTHING will ever change no matter who is president. I said two years ago if Trump got elected NOTHING will change. Nothing has changed. The prices of gasoline is still $4 per gallon. Price of a large plain pizza in NJ is $13.00. Wages year over year taking into account inflation are flat or negative. NOTHING WILL CHANGE. Every other topic in politics is just diversion side show nonsense.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I don't think there's any real way to know what is real and what is fake anymore. It's only gonna get worse. I mean all it takes is the will to deceive. As they say, if there's a will there's a way.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I don't think there's any real way to know what is real and what is fake anymore. It's only gonna get worse. I mean all it takes is the will to deceive. As they say, if there's a will there's a way.

Simply not true. There's documentary evidence. And there is commentary. Commentary is NOT news. Commentary is propaganda trying to program the mind of the American people.

People need the will to educate themselves on how their minds are being programmed:

I've watched this video 10 times. Once you understand documentary evidence versus commentary it will change the way you look at news.

Take Fox News for example. In a recent trip to my father-in-laws house he only watches Fox News. I sat there and listened for hours on people telling me how to think about Democrats and Hillary Clinton. Apparently she said something that had them all riled up. However, after two hours of commentary they never showed or quoted exactly what she said! All they did was told the viewer how to think about Democrats and what conclusions they should have.

It wasn't always like this. When I was growing up the news would just show what people were saying. Now it's nothing but commentary. I understand which stories people show is a form of political bias. However, there's something totalitarian is controlling people's opinions.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

This thought process makes me worried.

Not sure if serious or not. But point out where in history has war on the media ever ended in a positive way?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

... what with the left voting base finally realizing that EVERYONE in their favorite media just lied to them for 2 1/2 years,

If everything the media spews out at you silly were true we'd all be in camps and Trump would be a tyrent killing Mexicans and peeing on girls. He'd be worse then Hitler and we'd be in ww3.

But everything is true... when the status quo has barely changed and you couldn't tell the difference between Obama or Trump being in office unless you turn on news.
edit on 6-6-2019 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

yay
at least people are beginning to realize things on the magic picture box are not always true.

this is hardly new

www.worldcrunch.com...

Martin Luther was one of the first to use pamphlets as an effective political weapon in his fight against the Catholic Church during the Protestant Reformation. Luther's satirical pamphlet Die Lügend von S. Johanne Chryosostomo, for example, mocked Catholic hagiography in an attempt to undermine official Church orthodoxy.

During the American Revolution, for example, both the British government and the American revolutionaries secretly employed spies and other "agents" in the Dutch Republic to sway Dutch public opinion about the American revolutionary cause.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

The Age-Old Problem of “Fake News” It’s been part of the conversation as far back as the birth of the free press

Writing in the section where the French philosopher predicted that a free press would advance knowledge and create a more informed public, Adams scoffed. “There has been more new error propagated by the press in the last ten years than in an hundred years before 1798,” he wrote at the time.

I guess people have had more faith in television.
Seems that has been misplaced.
You would figure the "war of the worlds" radio broadcast would have fixed that.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Thankfully there is a record that is able to be checked here.
He is no where nearly as bad as you would make him out to be.
Your falsehoods only expose your character not his.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Can we just agree in principle "opinions" cannot be "falsehoods" or "lies". Oh, it hurts how people butcher the language. It's real sausage making the way people use words.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
www.economicnoise.com...

To fully understand the Deep State one need focus on matters both inside and outside of government. The Deep State corrupts everything it touches. Today that includes much of the country.
The Deep State corrupted the media. The first task of any State is to control the information (propaganda) fed to its citizens. Totalitarian states eliminate any free exchange of opinions. The Soviet Union had a state-run newspaper known as Pravda. It was a monopoly in that no other sources legally provided news. The new Russia pretends it has press freedom, but it controls the media. So does China. Severe penalties, including murder, are used to obtain conformity.
In the US, we say we have freedom and a “free press.” But do we?

"The first task of any State is to control the information (propaganda) fed to its citizens," needs to be repeated. How many times have we seen videos of different news casters from different networks repeating the exact same opening line to a news segment ? So much of what we see and here is scripted and approved before hand.

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, Obama’s former National Security Adviser.
CBS President David Rhodes is the brother of Ben Rhodes, Obama’s Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications.
ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former Obama Whitehouse Press Secretary Jay Carney.
ABC News and Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama’s former Deputy Press Secretary .
ABC President Ben Sherwood is the brother of Obama’s former Special Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood.
CNN President Virginia Moseley is married to former Hillary Clinton’s Deputy Secretary Tom Nides.
This is “Huge” and is only a ‘partial’ list since the same holds true for NBC/MSNBC and most media outlets.
Trump has been right all along. Fake News is generated by these incestuous relationships .

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Can we just agree in principle "opinions" cannot be "falsehoods" or "lies". Oh, it hurts how people butcher the language. It's real sausage making the way people use words.

sure
when it is opinions put forth and not facts
that is NOT what I was referring to

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The idea that, for Trump, fake news is news that is critical of him is ridiculous. But it’s another dogma that has been spread by, well, fake news.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf
The idea that, for Trump, fake news is news that is critical of him is ridiculous. But it’s another dogma that has been spread by, well, fake news.

Trumps use of the "fake new" accusation is irrelevant in my opinion. He's a politician and is going to use things and ideas to his political advantage.

"fake news" has been a problem for decades, long before Trump came on the seen, if the news industry had cleaned up its own act Trump could have never used the disfunction to his own advantage.

It is the news industry that is to blame for "fake news" they are the ones who create it and allow it to endure. They do it for many different reasons; political, ad revenue, hubris and ect; and they are the ones who will have to fix it or find themselves increasingly irrelevant.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join