It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans think fake news is big problem

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Apprently most Americans think fake news is big problem; a bigger problem than sexism, racism, illegal immigration or terrorism

news a major problem, and they mostly blame politicians and activists for it, according to a new survey.

A majority also believe journalists have the responsibility for fixing it. Differences in political affiliation are a major factor in how people think about fake news, as Republicans are more likely than Democrats to also blame journalists for the problem.

A survey from the Pew Research Center, released Wednesday, finds that 68% of U.S. adults believe fake news affects confidence in government institutions. Misinformation was cited more often as a major problem than sexism, racism, illegal immigration or terrorism.

Political leaders and their staff are considered the biggest source of false information; while journalists and Russia are also found to be contributing to the preception of "fake news"

As for who's to blame for false information, 57% pointed the finger at political leaders and their staffs, while 53% said activist groups bore responsibility. Journalists and foreign actors such as Russia each got the blame from more than a third of survey participants, who were able to name multiple parties.

Republicans were more likely to blame journalists for the fake-news problem, at 58%, while 20% of Democrats said journalists create made-up news. Republicans were far more likely to believe that journalists inserting their own views into stories was a big problem in keeping the public informed (60%, compared with 20% among Democrats).

I wonder what affect this will have on the 2020 elections. With the majority of Americans not in a position to believe what they see in the news will voting patterns break from tradition?

link

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Everything in the United States Media is Fake . The Only thing Not Fake is President Donald J. Trump . ACTIONS Speak LOUDER than Words ........

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I wonder what affect this will have on the 2020 elections. With the majority of Americans not in a position to believe what they see in the news will voting patterns break from tradition?

Trump's election broke tradition.

In response, Democrats spent billions of dollars nationwide to get a statistically normal win in the House and a bigger loss in the Senate.

I think 2020 is going to be a wild ride... what with the left voting base finally realizing that EVERYONE in their favorite media just lied to them for 2 1/2 years, are not apologizing for that but are doubling down on Orange Man Bad.

Democratic leadership has turned into some kind of weird Clown World where they are trying every method possible to solidify their base... which is roughly 25% of America.

While running off the 50% of Americans who do not really identify with either party, but are now at the point where they cannot trust anything they see in the news so are starting to educate themselves.

One one hand, it may be a blood bath and the American people may finally start thinking for themselves again.

On the other hand, it may be just ~meh~, another election and who cares.

I do not think it is going to be the latter.

Let's see where Declass and Barr goes.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Maybe this is what "they" wanted.

A population that doesn't believe anything any more.

They could tell the truth about aliens, the truth about the deep state, lie about climate change and it no longer matters.

As long as there's beer in the fridge and food on the plate, DC can say absolutely anything now and the majority of people won't care or believe them.

It's perfect for politicians.

They can run on low taxes then raise them.
They can run on more jobs, then ship them overseas.
They can run on peace and deliver war.

They have won.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not quite yet on the "they have won" part.

The OP is pointing out that there may still be a ray of hope.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That ray of hope seems to be gone.
But maybe I read 1984 too much.
Actually ya....I think I do.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Did Trump really hope to be president? There has been great speculation that he did not, that all he really wanted was to set himself up to run his own news organization. However he found enough people who believed his lie to them that he really cared about them by repeating over and over again things that they wanted to hear. The real fake news is that he gives a pipers damn about his supporters in any fashion other than that they continue to buy his lies and support him.

No one here will get an argument from me that msm is biased. Certainly it is. It is biased to their bottom line, profit, and that profit is determined by selling their product to the largest consumer base there is, the status quo.
Mr. Trump , if he loses in 2020 or decides not to run again ,can be expected to revert to his original plan, to establish himself as a media voice in opposition to that status quo. Why? Because he wants a piece of that action.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Personally, I'm looking forward to the laughable deep fakes that the MSM is going to "dig up" on donald trump for 2020. They are going to pull out all the stops. Deep fakes, fake news hyperdrive and the tech giants going ultra authoritarian on censorship all in an attempt to ramp up their 2016 efforts by 1000.

I take solace in the fact that the average american is much more intelligent than i've ever given them credit for. All their efforts will just backfire on them 10 fold. It's going to be the "greatest show in the universe".

"May you live in interesting times...."

We surely are, and thankfully the scales are tipping in favor of sanity and not the insanity of a very vocal minority.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The reason the Democrats numbers are so low.

Is that they know most of it is lies and don’t care.

because it gives them a source to claim it’s true .

“ The end justifies the means “

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
The reason the Democrats numbers are so low.

Is that they know most of it is lies and don’t care.

because it gives them a source to claim it’s true .

“ The end justifies the means “

When a CNN host states that their coverage is a "nothing burger" but they continue to double down for the next 12 months, it only seems logical that even the most ignorant of mouth breathers begin to question their integrity.

I wouldn't tune into CNN to see what time it is....

I'd rather go outside and estimate the time based on the angle of the sun in the sky, I'd probably have a better chance of accuracy.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
To give some credit where it is due....

I think brian stelter would make an excellent tire stop to keep my old tractor from rolling down the hill into the field.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

68% of Americans feel that Fake News is a bigger threat to America than Terrorism!

I wish you had made that statistic, the title of this thread. That is HUGE!

(I was about to start a thread on this story, but found that you've already got it covered.)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Did Trump really hope to be president? There has been great speculation that he did not, that all he really wanted was to set himself up to run his own news organization. However he found enough people who believed his lie to them that he really cared about them by repeating over and over again things that they wanted to hear. The real fake news is that he gives a pipers damn about his supporters in any fashion other than that they continue to buy his lies and support him.

No one here will get an argument from me that msm is biased. Certainly it is. It is biased to their bottom line, profit, and that profit is determined by selling their product to the largest consumer base there is, the status quo.
Mr. Trump , if he loses in 2020 or decides not to run again ,can be expected to revert to his original plan, to establish himself as a media voice in opposition to that status quo. Why? Because he wants a piece of that action.

Or perhaps the MSM planted the lie that he really wanted to start a competing news industry because they were afraid of their bottom line should he do so.

How did he lie to people to get elected... when he has already delivered more campaign promises than any other President in the last few generations?

Flash-forward to today... where he became President, helped their bottom line for a bit with all of their negative news bias which sold and in the end... tanked their viewership because... fake news.

While all the while using the media industry to get untold billions of dollars worth of media exposure.

He's making the left look stupid again.

Checkmate.

edit on 5-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think sixty eight percent is actually too conservative of a number, seventy five percent of Americans are sick of all the fake news they are feeding us. I remember when local Democrats thought that MSM was actually real. I don't know one person that believes any of the news networks anymore. Nobody even trusts news about school shootings anymore, seems like something is always misreported and they have repeated things later found to be untrue.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

I think brian stelter would make an excellent tire stop to keep my old tractor from rolling down the hill into the field.

Gawd, Msr. Spock, but you'd have to look at it! Ewwwww...

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I wish CNN wasn't a part of all the Comcast cable packages. I'd change to a package without CNN in a heartbeat. CNN earns a little money every month from each household that subscribes to a package with them as part of the mix. Ditto for DirectTV and DishNetwork.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Gawd, Msr. Spock, but you'd have to look at it! Ewwwww...

I have a prescription for eyewear, that I don't ever wear. So from 40 yards away it would just look like a lump of crap(like everything else does).

I'll start wearing my glasses when I can't read the label on a bottle of scotch. I figure I have about another 20 years before that happens.....

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: MisterSpock

I wish CNN wasn't a part of all the Comcast cable packages. I'd change to a package without CNN in a heartbeat. CNN earns a little money every month from each household that subscribes to a package with them as part of the mix. Ditto for DirectTV and DishNetwork.

There will never be a pay TV service that doesn't have CNN in it. They need the "numbers". I'm sure they pay comcast(unlike everyone else that comcast has to actually pay) to be in the package.

Cut the wire....and close your eyes at the airport if you want to lower CNN's numbers.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Everything in the United States Media is Fake . The Only thing Not Fake is President Donald J. Trump . ACTIONS Speak LOUDER than Words ........

This all day long

edit on 5-6-2019 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Being a Centrist, and supporter of the Constitution and Bill of Rights , I have to tell you, that I don't support everything President Trump does, BUT, I do support a great deal of what he is attempting to do, and see him as a American Patriot. I agree with what you said. You get a star!

You are a Patriot too!

<<   2  3 >>

join