It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Remove - SO HELP ME GOD - From The Swearing-in Oath.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Politicians would do better to just swear oaths to each other rather than to God. That way they won't have to make any promises to God they know they won't be keeping.

If we really wanted them to keep an oath, we would make them swear to the God they actually believe in and worship...

💲 💵 💰

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

While I would agree with your initial statement of people under communist government are forced.

I didn't care for your snide add-on.

If you didn't like the pop quiz, that's your problem.
I wanted to add it in, because so many F'n snowflakes today have no memory of yesterday let alone last year or prior.

So it was a valid point to make for their benefit.
Because the one they worship, is the answer.

Having said that, I'll be ignoring you in future interaction due to your demeanor.

Which is sad, because at first I had the impression you would be a good candidate for debate.

So big whoopdie do, back at you.

Btw I do pop quizzes to see who may or may not have read, listened, or watched the information provided. It gives me a gage to measure whether or not people even took the time to go over the source provided.

If they have not given it the time of day, I won't waste my time giving them the time of day.

This is a mutually collaborative discussion forum.
Key words being "mutually" and "collaborative".

Those who aren't either, are detractors and basically trolls derailing topics.

I find you to be in between those categories, and as such a conflicting influence.

Nothing personal, but that's my way of saying your post kinda sucked and you could do better.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

My name doesn't imply that I critically think, it implies that I really do just stink. I come here for equal parts debate and lulz.

The whoopdie do wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the actual action of our government recognizing Jerusalem as the capital. George H. W. Bush actually got the ball rolling on it, Bill Clinton delayed it... and Obama verbally recognized it as the capital and then quickly changed his tone.

All that said, don't be surprised when a post has tones you don't like after painting with a broad brush.

The first part of your post I responded to definitely painted with a broad brush and wasn't the bastion of open minded debate....

Just a thought, no harm no foul, I was just responding similarly.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Which god?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

They're removing it because they're afraid of repercussions to their beyond criminal actions.

Oh please....

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Since they don't take the oath seriously to begin with, removing "God" from the oath is probably the least of the issues.

Why even swear to uphold the Constitution when they openly despise it!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

No, a book written by men says that.... God if he exists has never spoken a word to any earthling.
SORRY🎶
edit on 1302019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Well hell my bad...

Please allow me buy you a burger and beer, so we can patch things up and get back to an equal mix of chit and chat.

My interpretation of a response, may be influenced by my own state of mind, which is "why does it feel like Monday still".

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Yea and the people fought hard to not be a British colony anymore. After that and even before, one of the main appeals of the new world was to escape religious persecutions.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

No harm no foul.

My point was that any ideology can (mostly) get weaponized by governments.

The United States has not done so in religion IMO, but post 9/11 patriotism has been bastardized from simply having intrinsic joy from being born or becoming citizen to the US to support the wars or you're anti-America.

#FreedomFries

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

This has nothing to do with free expression of religion even at your place of work. It is altering an oath. Not telling you you have to bake a gay wedding cake.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Our country does not have a religious identity. This is america... Go look outside.
You may have an individual religious identity. Thats your right as an american. Yea....

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: theatreboy

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
a reply to: carewemust

Are you familiar with the concept of the separation of church and state?

Sure...the state shall not prohibit free practice of religion.

If you're going to quote Jefferson then include the whole quote please.

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties."

How about I quote the constitution....from Wiki

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Romans 1:28 …28Furthermore, since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed, and hatred. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant, and boastful. They invent new forms of evil; they disobey their parents.…

carewemust.... how dare we complain..... I tell you this, we are seeing the absence of GOD in our nation right now. Carry on Friend

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

gimmie a break

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The lines are drawn, choose now who you will serve... God or man

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

carewemust.... how dare we complain..... I tell you this, we are seeing the absence of GOD in our nation right now. Carry on Friend

An absence of GOD isn't absence of morality.

Also there are 4,200 religions on this earth, food for thought.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

“Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord.’ But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No’; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

Said by some dude in a bedsheet, a long time ago.

They nailed him for it.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Yea and the people fought hard to not be a British colony anymore. After that and even before, one of the main appeals of the new world was to escape religious persecutions.

You mean the official state religion, don't you? They were still Christian.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
The lines are drawn, choose now who you will serve... God or man
Just prove that your god is real, and then you can insist that people take it seriously. Otherwise, let people do what they want without your judgment.

But, i’m sure that would take all of the fun out of it for you.
edit on 30-1-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join