It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Satire

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Satire:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
How retarded are our government? So they voted that to get the bill through they need ammendments to the back stop, something the EU says isn't happening. They also voted to say they don't want No Deal, however, if we get to March 29th without a deal, No Deal is what we get. They wasted more time, kicking cans further down the road instead of doing anything meaningful. Come back Guy Fawkes, all is forgiven....

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

We do not have a Government. We do not have a PM capable of providing the country with leadership. We have a desperate PM clinging to power, trying to keep her shattered party together, despite the fact that it is fundamentally divided about what on earth to do about the Brexit vote, something that occurred more than two and a half years ago now. We are now an international laughing stock.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

As I understand it, and I find it all very confusing, the vote against a "no deal" is not binding, although Corbyn will no doubt say it should be.

Unless the EU blinks on the back stop or slimy Remainer MP's sabotage Brexit it looks likely that we will get a no deal. I can't see the Country putting up with postponing the thing.

Indeed, where is Guy Fawkes when you need him?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

We do not have a Government. We do not have a PM capable of providing the country with leadership. We have a desperate PM clinging to power, trying to keep her shattered party together, despite the fact that it is fundamentally divided about what on earth to do about the Brexit vote, something that occurred more than two and a half years ago now. We are now an international laughing stock.

True to an extent, but no one else wants to touch her job with a bargepole - at the moment - so as much as i find her deeply rubbish you have to admire her for sticking at it.
edit on 30-1-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

We do not have a PM capable of providing the country with leadership.

Certainly not strong and effective leadership.

Yet I have developed a grudging respect for her.
I can't think of another current politician who would have stuck with it as she has done. They would have walked away like the rat Cameron did.
She has been insistent on seeing Brexit through despite her being a passionate Remainer.

We have a desperate PM clinging to power,.....

To be fair, I don't think anyone else wants the job at present....all viable candidates seem to recognise it as the poisoned chalice it is.
That doesn't stop them jockeying for the position post-Brexit.

..... trying to keep her shattered party together, despite the fact that it is fundamentally divided about what on earth to do about the Brexit vote,.....

The Tories appear more divided now than I have ever known them.....yet they seem more electable and credible than the alternative, and that is a truly shocking state of affairs.

And able Opposition would have slaughtered the shower of #e currently in power, yet they have spectacularly failed to do so.
Corbyn's approach has cost him much in the eyes of many who previously viewed him in a positive manner. Labour's lack of a cohesive EU/Brexit policy has shown a complete lack of leadership skill on his behalf and his continued attempts at playing party politics and making political gain out of Brexit has turned many against him.
Labour have turned their back on their core principles and supporters and are currently unelectable.

We are now an international laughing stock.

I agree....the rest of the world must be pissing themselves laughing.

A damning indictment on our political system and the scum who serve it!

Personally, I'm all for No Deal.

I think it'll shake both our politicians and the Eurocrats up and a 'common sense' agreement will be reached.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Theresa May said yesterday that this bickering in our parliament and the delaying of our acceptance or providing a better deal runs the risk of and makes us look incompetent in the eyes of the EU

A bit late for that Hen ! that ship #ing sailed two year ago the yin that cameron left on
edit on 30-1-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I wonder how Thatcher would have dealt with the EU?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Im sure if she was in power she would have prevented us from joining the EU all together !

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Was never a fan of Thatcher and time hasn't improved my opinion of her.

But things she would not have done was dither and do nothing for a year and she would have had clearly defined goals and objectives.
In addition she wouldn't have allowed the EU to negotiate from such a strong position and with such a contemptuous attitude.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Interesting BBC article here:

Thatcher and her tussles with Europe

Her Bruges speech in 1988 seems relevant still today. Of course it was the Europhiles in her own party who did her in.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   

thats really interesting man , thanks for that !

Seems she had fought quit a few battles to protect the UK from the EU amalgam !

but of course internal party politics always coming into play

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Was never a fan of Thatcher and time hasn't improved my opinion of her.

But things she would not have done was dither and do nothing for a year and she would have had clearly defined goals and objectives.
In addition she wouldn't have allowed the EU to negotiate from such a strong position and with such a contemptuous attitude.

She would have gone to EU with HER exit plan with a take it or leave it attitude with the threat of a 'no deal'.
If they had said 'no' and started pussy footing around, she wuld have snapped her handbag shut whilst giving them the middle finger as she walked out the room

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I remember the Sun headline: "Up yours, Delors".

Yes, yes, I know, "The Sun", but still...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I remember the Sun headline: "Up yours, Delors".

Yes, yes, I know, "The Sun", but still...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Im sure if she was in power she would have prevented us from joining the EU all together !

Thatcher campaigned strongly in favour of staying the the EEC in 75 but was against Maastricht.

In my view likely she would be pro brexit but wish to stay in at least the customs union.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

In 75 it was a Common Market, not the bloated EU of today.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: ScepticScot

In 75 it was a Common Market, not the bloated EU of today.

Exactly my point (apart from the bloated part)

Thatcher was very pro the economic benefits of European cooperation and also supportive of many of the cross-border agencies and incentives.

Where she disagreed with further european integration was were political power was kept, favouring nation state governments having final say.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

All the usual suspects
and its the same ones still at it.

Then came Westland - Michael Heseltine's battle to keep the helicopter company in European hands with a takeover by a European consortium.
Mrs Thatcher was insistent that the US firm Sikorsky should have it instead.She won, he quit

In 1988 there came the controversial "Bruges speech".
'No. No. No.'
"We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels," Mrs Thatcher declared.

All of this came against a backdrop of a government split over whether to join the ERM, which Mrs Thatcher eventually agreed to do
The then president of the European Commission, Jacques Delors, had called for the European Parliament to be the democratic body of the community, the commission to be the executive and the Council of Ministers to be the senate.
"No. No. No," Thatcher famously told the Commons on 30 October 1990.

Michael Heseltine challenged Mrs Thatcher's leadership. Within a few weeks, she was heading out of Downing Street.

But despite all her battles over Europe, Mrs Thatcher did also sign the Single European Act, which created the single European market - one of the biggest acts of European integration.By 2002, however, she had changed her mind, believing signing up to the single market had been a terrible error

In 1995 she criticised Mr Major's government for signing the treaty and returned to the fray the following year, saying the UK might have to pull out of the EU.

Later that year she made her feelings known about former chancellor Ken Clarke's bid for the Conservative leadership, saying he would lead the party to "disaster"."He seems to view with blithe unconcern the erosion of Britain's sovereignty in Europe," she said, adding that his leadership would put Europe "at the forefront of politics".

In her 2002 book, Statecraft, she suggested the European single currency was an attempt to create a "European super state" and would fail "economically, politically and socially".
She called for a "fundamental re-negotiation" of Britain's links with the EU, stopping short of calling for withdrawal but nevertheless suggesting that the UK should pull out of common agricultural, fisheries, foreign and defence policies.
"Most of the problems the world has faced have come from mainland Europe, "And the solution is from outside it.

Very accurately predicted

And ALL the usual suspects STILL SUCKING UP TO THE EU
Time they were retired.

Time to move out deal or no deal.

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join