It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Kind of done the Van wilder experience myself for a few years. Loved being a Student in the 90s, it was just so colourfull. LoL

Paid my loans off years back now though.

But i was in my late teen's early twenties.

Educations not cheap now, tell you that.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: djz3ro

On this we are in complete agreement my friend.

The thing is; what do we do then?
Just moan on sites like ATS or in the pub or actually do something that will affect real and positive change?

I would love to force positive change, I just don't see where to begin

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Culturally we're all different.

For 'all' of our differences we have far more in common and there is far more that unites us than there is that divides us.
The ties are many and deep rooted.
This only serves to maintain the status quo.

Perhaps we in the North East have closer ties to the Scots and are far more like minded than people from other regions in the UK?

Politically, more so. Scotland votes very differently from the rest of the UK, brexit was just the latest in a long line of votes where we stood apart from the rest of the UK.

Scotland voted exactly the same as London, Northern Ireland and a few other large areas of the UK in the EU referendum.
Scotland has a large Nationalist vote at most General Elections, same as Wales and Northern Ireland....there is no English Nationalist party as that is deemed racist.
Until very, very recently Scotland used to vote predominantly Labour, same as the North East, North West, Wales, Midlands and even large parts of London.
Hardly 'very different'.

Could you please give us some examples of the 'long line of votes' where Scotland 'stood apart from the rest of the UK'?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

im also under no illusion that Scotlands cultural identity was nearly wiped out by our unionist buddies down south !

Please enlighten me.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Hey, now...

Can we let cooler heads prevail?

*ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.
*** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics
Community Announcement re: Decorum

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I think we are going to have another referendum as no deal is a non starter.

Might be bit of can kicking before that though.

Let's just sit back and enjoy the indignant furore that's sure to follow.

And just to add, I'm happy with no deal.

edit on 21-1-2019 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

act of proscription , the banning of tartan , bagpipes and the use of Scots Gaelic

act of Heritable Jurisdictions , are just a couple of things the Union had implemented to subdue scottish culture

hardly very friendly to your "allies" is it
edit on 21-1-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't think another referendum is on the cards in any way.
All the jostling and fear mongering has driven 'Brexiteers' to be even more staunch in their stance, and 'Remainers' are even saying no second referendum now.
I am beginning to wonder when Cameron went to EU for concessions and threatened them with a referendum if they didn't concede, that there was a 'long game' already formulated by the 'back room boys' and a no-deal was planned for even way back then....it would be folly not to have contingencies for that. By spouting all the fear mongering was 'reverse psychology' if you will, to prep the general populace to accept it....we shall just have to wait and see.....

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

act of proscription , the banning of tartan , bagpipes and the use of Scots Gaelic

act of Heritable Jurisdictions , are just a couple of things the Union had implemented to subdue scottish culture

hardly very friendly to your "allies" is it

Stopped you going totally bankrupt though, if you want to cherrypick. And a bankrupt Scotland would have been in England's interests.

Plus lowland Scotland was often on England's side because as much as you hated England, you hated each other more.....

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

im also under no illusion that Scotlands cultural identity was nearly wiped out by our unionist buddies down south !

Please enlighten me.

The Scots were 'encouraged' to emigrate to the new worlds and their lands cleansed to make way for sheep and ridding London of them for good. The cultural identity rreally was wiped out in many areas to the point where the northern landscape is virtually empty of humanity to this very day

link   
a reply to: Flavian

which has nothing to do with what im talking about , im talking about suppression of a peoples culture !

our finances dont matter

we can still have our own culture with no money or no banks !

link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

but then swiftly bought up by the military to make bases , and radar sites !

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This isnt the article im referring to earlier but the idea is the same

post brexit England Identity

it's in the same vein!

I'll keep looking for it !

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

That was an interesting read

I don't think you can say there is an 'English' identity though, all our regions are different.
People down my way have pretty much zero in common with someone from a council estate in London, apart from we share the same island.
There might be more of a cultural 'sameness' in Scotland and Wales but when it comes to England it is more regional.
It's rural farming, fishing, and tourism in my world while Freeborn is probably more used to an industrial heavy industry society.
Then you have places like Bradford and in parts you'd think you were not even in England, more like Pakistan.

I do think we should have a separate English Parliament/government though, or a ban on non English MP's voting on solely English matters in the house of commons.
It is a disgrace that while Wales and Scotland have devolved powers over say health, completely free of English influence, their MP's can vote on matters solely relating to England.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

but then swiftly bought up by the military to make bases , and radar sites !

Oh yeah talk about a crackdown. Still utilising the land to this very day. In addition to which we should note the worst English offenders in the Highland Holocaust were the 'Geordie' English landowners

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
All peasants were treated like dirt back in the day though.
I don't know why some sections of British society are still so bitter and whiny about the history. We've moved on as a united nation since then...how long we stay united for though is anybody's guess.
I don't really care though, tourists will still come here to my part of the world, we'll all have money in the summer and be skint again in winter as it has been all my life and for generations.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

True....but then again we were all treat like sh!te by the privileged few back then.
The peasants and serfs here in England were hardly living the life of Reilly and I'd be amazed if there weren't a few cultural practices etc that weren't prohibited round about the same time.

I think its also worth pointing out that many of those Acts etc were carried out in accordance with express wishes of many Scottish Lowlanders who resented the power of the Clan Chiefs.
Its doubtful if those Acts would have even been enforceable without their willing compliance.

And its hardly current history is it....at that time my ancestors were still fishing off a small piece of rock off the Kerry coast and picking potatoes in a field somewhere south of Dublin!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

True....but then again we were all treat like sh!te by the privileged few back then.
I made a similar point.
It fascinates me when I visit old graves of my ancestors how young they died. My family were tin miners, probably scraped a living in back breaking work just to line the pockets of the wealthy mine owners.
I don't care what anyone says, poverty is mostly relative in the UK these days, not absolute like it was in the days of workhouses and the like.

I would choose being poor in 2018 Britain any day over the 1800's or any other periods in history.

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join