It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Let me explain how they drive nice vehicles. Baby Daddy works a good paying job. Baby Daddy isn't married to Baby Mama. Baby Mama doesn't work. On the paper work she lies and says nope just her and the kids live there. Baby Daddy's clothes are all hanging in the bedroom closet. But we can't check on that to find out. It's not legal. So Baby Mama plays the system while Baby Daddy works a good paying job. Baby Daddy buys nice cars. Of course in Baby Daddy's name.

I could give you a lot of names.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Since the unemployment rate has dropped the majority of states have reenacted the provision that you have to have a job to get food stamps. You must work 20 hours a week, some let them do community service, some go to school. There are exceptions. Some of which are: children (age varies all the way up to 12 years old) living at home. If you're pregnant. Being in a work study program.

Let me tell you and it's been like this for a long long time. You hire them and they will only work 20 hours. Schedule them more then 20 hours and they will call in. They'll bluntly tell you they aren't working more because they don't want their benefits cut.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: napayshni57

You say "they" as of recipients are another species. You say "baby daddy". You say these things as if EVERYBODY on SNAP is lying, cheating, lazy,and probably black. You have a great deal of resentment for the poor. And apparently you are taking names.

The majority of SNAP recipients are white, and mostly live in republican dominated states. Most of it goes to single mothers with children, the disabled and the elderly. Maybe you need to check your facts?

You are another person on this thread who only wants to discuss those you either imagine or know of that are receiving benefits unjustly.

Do you have any comments about the vast majority of these people who do need them and rely on them for their survival? Or should we just ignore that majority and focus on those who lie to get them? Is that another thread?
Do you not think assistance is justified in any event? That's the way your posts read.

If you check your American history, you will see that food assistance came into being when our citizens became distraught seeing people fainting and dying on the streets due to starvation. The New Deal and such.

Things got better after assistance was implemented, and then people started to complain about others getting "free stuff".

Which is where my good-intentioned thread has gone. Nobody wants to talk about those who are in need.
Only the small minority who do cheat.

What a world. Ugh.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: angeldoll
If you know of a person, not based on rumor and hateful old wives tales, then report it.

There is a national hotline reporting line, but it will go quicker if you do it in your own state.

Use your search engine "Food Stamp reporting Hotline" and the name of your state.

Remember you will need some way of identifying the person so they can find them. They actually do prosecute those who abuse the SNAP program.

Yeah, and get shanked for the snitching. Better to let them get caught themselves.

These reports can be made anonymously.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
People on food stamps in the u.s. seem to be extremely overweight. They could use it.

Working class families fridge is very moderate
Food stamp recipients fridges are always over filled

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth
People on food stamps in the u.s. seem to be extremely overweight. They could use it.

ALWAYS overfilled. you somehow know this. Alrighty then. You must have an omnipresence!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
This thread was meant to be informative.

However, I've been on ATS long enough to know threads sometimes develop a life of their own.

This one has turned into "I HATE POOR PEOPLE and I don't want to contribute a dollar to keep them from dropping dead, because some of them cheat" thread.

So have it with your old wives tales, imagination, greed, resentment, but mostly misinformation.

Let everyone tell a story about seeing a Mercedes in the parking lot of the food stamp office. Let everyone tell a story about how their next door neighbor's brother-in-law's cousin saw a recipient's frig full of steaks.

Have at it.

See ya.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

ALWAYS overfilled. you somehow know this. Alrighty then. You must have an omnipresence!

I worked for a plumber for 4 years who's majority of work was to provide plumbing for people on gov assistance.

Besides free plumbing you would get to see the massive amounts of groceries and food in the home.

80% of the people were overly obese.

Then they would leave in the morning for a off the books job they are not supposed to be working.

Also my co worker had a food stamp card, about 400 a month.
.he would sell them for 200.

You could get a good amount of food for 200 every 2 weeks. I would load up. And the saving in money is tremendous.

Being granted free food is a huge bill these people dont have to worry about

Home was falling apart, plenty of food, 200 dollar shoes and a Lexus. Something strange going on

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

umm, i see your racist but more whites on cash aid then blacks

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Have Pelosi and Schumer move out of their gated communities and drop their security details and live like the rest of us . Stop being so hypocritical and fund the wall and it will be over . Stop saying you want to help the dreamers and then slap them in the face and it will be over .

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Well maybe they'll get off their ass and quit being so dependent. My God, how the hell did poor people make it in this country prior to 1964?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This is all Trumps fault.

This is Pelosi's fault.

Democrats could end it right now. Other than that, I've always fended for myself and found a way, even when I was broke, because my family isn't gonna starve. And I will never depend on the government to give me funds to feed my family.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
So... they have a month to prepare for lean times. Or find a job. Or realize they are not as bad off as they think and stop using assistance so the real crisis cases can keep getting help. Or start buying cheaper food. Or...

You get the idea. This is not the end of the world, especially if the "problem" is recognized now.

Could be the end of the world if your a single mother with a few kids living in a impoverished community and you need those stamps to get your kids some decent food.

Just be thankful you don't know what its like to live like that.

That's what hard work gets you. There's always a job that needs filled. For months on end, I've gone without and made sure my kids ate. Sometimes that's what a man or a woman has to do to make sure their kids eat. Ramen Noodles are an effing dollar for 6 packs.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

This is all Trumps fault.

Lets get right back to the basics. He promised a wall would be built and Mexico would pay for it. Now there isn't actually going to be a wall and he wants the taxpayer to spend $5 Billion for a metaphorical wall so he can rally his base of support.

So because he's not getting that he is basically holding the country ransom, its quite obviously wrong but his supporters seem to be the only ones who don't quite see it that way. So no more food stamps, as Trump says he is willing to let this shutdown go on for months if not years as people struggle to eat so he can win some political points.

How is this Trump's fault when the dems have just been obstructionists from day 1?

Because he is doing it quite literally to break a campaign promise so that his supporters will somehow think that him breaking said promise is winning. This is all about him scoring political points and nothing else, he might tell you its about boarder security but its not. Boarder security to him is just a euphemism for "keep my supporters voting for me".

He promised Mexico would pay for all of this, they're not and now he expects taxpayers to pay for it just so he can score political points.

It is wrong that as a result of this people are going to be losing food stamps.

Did you cry the same when obama shut the government down?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
How exactly, does a wall secure our border? a reply to: Aallanon

Have you ever lived inside a house surrounded by walls?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Good job making your generalizations. Not once was any race brought up. Maybe you should do your own research, that way you'll know that a vast majority of those welfare dependents are located in the big blue cities inside those red dominated states. You can start with my state. Most of your welfare dependents are in Shreveport, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge.

Try again.
edit on 7-1-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

This thread was meant to be informative.

However, I've been on ATS long enough to know threads sometimes develop a life of their own.

This one has turned into "I HATE POOR PEOPLE and I don't want to contribute a dollar to keep them from dropping dead, because some of them cheat" thread.

So have it with your old wives tales, imagination, greed, resentment, but mostly misinformation.

Let everyone tell a story about seeing a Mercedes in the parking lot of the food stamp office. Let everyone tell a story about how their next door neighbor's brother-in-law's cousin saw a recipient's frig full of steaks.

Have at it.

See ya.

I guess you don't see the coincidence here that we've all seen this.

Maybe you should stop pitying poor people that don't care to get a job. My job is to take care of my family, not yours or anyone else's.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Alot going on in this thread.

1. Yes there is abuse from these systems, more than many people would like to admit. No it is not based on skin color; almost everyone in my area getting assistance is white (rural PA) and I see some of the things being discussed. This abuse needs to be dealt with in a more serious manner than it is.

2. No, not everyone on assistance is abusing the system. My family growing up was on assistance at times, I was in college for a few months. I feel bad for the needy people that will possibly be affected by not getting their SNAP benfits.

3. This story to me illustrates the problem with massive government and dependency on them.

We can probably almost all agree that the government acts in corrupt ways. If we rely on the government for food, we are at their total mercy. There could come a time where you may not be allowed to complain about the government, or else you are simply shut off from your food.

This sounds extreme, but look at the current situation. Democrats are claiming that the wall is immoral (pelosi didnt say ineffectual, she said immoral), and yet they and there msm allies are acting as if its solely trumps fault for the shutdown. Then they will blame trump for SNAP benefits for not going out.

SO in other words, its immoral if you want a secure border because that means you are a racist or sometyhing, and so you must chose between food or border security.

Imagine what power the government would have over you if the public becomes reliant on something like universal health care.

Hey, vote our way on every policy, or we shut off your health care.

That is why we should limit government, and make sure everyone on assistance is not abusing the sytem and actively working to get off of it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik
a reply to: Aallanon

umm, i see your racist but more whites on cash aid then blacks

*you're
*than

240,000,000 whites
40,000,000 blacks

Of course there's gonna be a higher number of whites on government assistance. Would you like to go by percentage of race?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

If you know of a person, not based on rumor and hateful old wives tales, then report it.

There is a national hotline reporting line, but it will go quicker if you do it in your own state.

Use your search engine "Food Stamp reporting Hotline" and the name of your state.

Remember you will need some way of identifying the person so they can find them. They actually do prosecute those who abuse the SNAP program.

Yeah, and get shanked for the snitching. Better to let them get caught themselves.

These reports can be made anonymously.

You do know that a small town there is only a few people it could be right? In a huge city sure you got a point.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join