It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We should only provide FOOD like Trump suggested 2 years ago. No money. We could have food centers set up where people could "shop" for the food they are provided. Maybe online and it can get shipped. It would actually BE CHEAPER than our current system.Money is a waste and its a hotbed for fraud. people should not WANT to stay on welfare. This system is a joke just like all the other handout programs INCLUDING the current ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION policies. Ending ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION would save enough to provide food for everyone....but that's not really what the liberals wants is it? wait until you see the pain and suffering you will get if the liberal idiots get their way!
SIGNED,
a very concerned US CITIZEN

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: daboxfan
We should only provide FOOD like Trump suggested 2 years ago. No money. We could have food centers set up where people could "shop" for the food they are provided. Maybe online and it can get shipped. It would actually BE CHEAPER than our current system.Money is a waste and its a hotbed for fraud. people should not WANT to stay on welfare. This system is a joke just like all the other handout programs INCLUDING the current ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION policies. Ending ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION would save enough to provide food for everyone....but that's not really what the liberals wants is it? wait until you see the pain and suffering you will get if the liberal idiots get their way!
SIGNED,

Except for the blanket insult of 'idiot', which I am not btw, you actually make a good point, and you addressed the failures of the system, rather than failures of individuals.

I can see this working, and I like the idea of credits on-line for shopping. Our country has such a huge surplus of food every year that is thrown out. For pity's sake how man cans of green beans alone expire?

I like it. Of course there would have to be some money designated to buy perishables, but flour, meal, dry beans and such could be purchased on-line.

Even centers to use computers could be established in already existing office, for those who don't have access to the internet.

I like it.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: daboxfan
SIGNED,

The problem with "government-provided food" rather than food stamps is that you're held hostage to what they want to feed you. Ask anybody in the military or anyone else who's had to deal with these programs. They will go with the cheapest contract they can find, and that may mean types of food you don't like or can't eat.

...like spam. National food of Hawaii, but if you're Jewish, it's forbidden.

And then there's the problem of storing the food and shipping the food and inspecting the food ... and in the end you won't get fresh fruits and vegetables or even a decent grade of hamburger.

Most households with food stamps include children, elderly, and disabled people (who receive the stamps) (I picked a convenient source but other sources say the same thing) White families who are struggling to get out of poverty (areas like Kentucky) really do need this help until the jobs come back or the situation changes.

It's not a perfect system, but I don't think the "government distributes" is a good answer.

And at least food stamps supports local businesses; and in the areas where there's a lot of food stamps, the businesses need customers to stay in business.
edit on 6-1-2019 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

my rule is, if you see a mom with a bunch of kids at 2am in walmart, go wait in another line.
they take out multiple cards, takes forever to checkout.

walmart secaucus in nj. you see kids and parents in there all night long. i have no clue why those kids are not asleep. im nocturnal, but im an adult. i think kids should be asleep at 2am, ESPECIALLY on a thursday night.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I agree as in previous decades we've had what were called 'commodities", and people could go pick up items.

I'm thinking about all the food we waste every year, like bread and canned and packaged goods.
Those could be used by people who need them.

As I said earlier, people would still need some type monetary support to buy perishables.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
a reply to: Aallanon

my rule is, if you see a mom with a bunch of kids at 2am in walmart, go wait in another line.
they take out multiple cards, takes forever to checkout.

walmart secaucus in nj. you see kids and parents in there all night long. i have no clue why those kids are not asleep. im nocturnal, but im an adult. i think kids should be asleep at 2am, ESPECIALLY on a thursday night.

Because the parent works a job that means this is the only time they can shop... and there's nobody at home to take care of the kids.

Been there. Did that. If you're any kind of decent parent, you don't go waltzing off to the store and leave your kids without supervision in the car or at home.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

I agree as in previous decades we've had what were called 'commodities", and people could go pick up items.

I'm thinking about all the food we waste every year, like bread and canned and packaged goods.

As I said earlier, people would still need some type monetary support to buy perishables.

There's some restaurant initiatives that feed the hungry with leftovers. I like that... and I do agree about food waste.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

There are food pantries with tons of free food just not Ribs and Lobster and grape Nehi

This is propaganda.
The average food stamp allotment is 126 dollars per person, or 1.40 per meal.
It should also be noted that the majority on food stamps work, so the tax payers are subsidizing greedy employers.

They are not going to be buying many lobsters with 126 dollars in one month.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
No more grape Nehi or BBQ ribs

I joke (sorta)

Have you really never been in a grocery store and been behind one of these link carders in line?

They eat better (or worse I guess) than anyone who earns a living ever would.

Because they don't care, because they are not paying for it.

excuse me for breathing then. i HATE having to use Foodstamps but since I am unable to work anymore and unable to get approved for disability(yet) i have few options. Oh i care about it. i put in 22 years working and paying into the program by my taxes. and No trying to stretch out nearly 200 a month isnt easy as you think.
The ones you refrence though with 2-3 kids driving escalades though. that urks me.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: angeldoll

There's some restaurant initiatives that feed the hungry with leftovers. I like that... and I do agree about food waste.

Yes, the waste iks me. Profoundly. And when you see what restaurants throw out on a daily basis, knowing we have hungry people in the country, sigh, it's seems so nonsensical. It seems the least they could do would be to take those foods to a soup kitchen.

Panera Bread does, and also to women's shelters, and group homes.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
a reply to: shooterbrody

didn't the democrats sign the same EXACT bill the republican led senate passed a few weeks ago?

whose fault is it that it hasn't been sent to the president?

Was that expired bill from the last cngress?
Civics is your friend...perhaps not yours apparently.

This is the fault of the house and Senate equally.
Their job is to create legislation.
They have sent NONE to the president.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

ones you refrence though with 2-3 kids driving escalades though. that urks me.

I personally don't think that happens. People say it, but when you ask "if you know someone who does that, report them to the Food Stamp fraud line, they go blank, because they don't know anybody. They are just repeating something they have heard for decades. So, if you actually know someone who does that, get the tag number and report it.

And sometimes that "escalade" is in the parking lot because it's owner has given someone who works for them, or who is ill, a ride to the food stamp office.

edit on 1/6/2019 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

no, this congress passed the bill Friday.

mitch won't send it to the president.

I know several people who've filed for bankruptcy recently simply because they lived beyond their means. but, we vilify people on foods stamps. it's so sad.

angeldoll, waste irks me, too. maybe the silver lining here will be some much needed talk on the subject. seems like there could be so much more done.

edit on 6-1-2019 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
There are a lot of disgusting comments in this thread.
Do any of you realize that if you're not disabled to the point of not being able to work, you HAVE to have a job to receive food stamps? .

there are a lot of disgusting comments in the thread but your statement about having to have a job is absolutely incorrect.
unless it changed since 2016 of course.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

So the Senate and house disagree?
Not the first time.
Still an issue with Congress not sending a bill to the president.

Still not trump vetoing a sfinance bil is it?

Perhaps Pelosi should meet with mcconnell?
Perhaps they BOTH should COMPROMISE?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is a true story.

I had a freind who was renting a house to a black family.

I got a call to fix the fridge. It was so packed with food it wouldn’t cool.

They eventually stopped paying rent and subsequently sued my Friend.

She had to evict so they got 6 mos. free rent during process.

They still sued for $2,000 in “lost food”

The live n boyfriend worked for a utility company and made good money

The 24 year old gangbanger son was on disability

She ran a catering business with food she bought with food stamps

Swear to god they sued In court for their lost food stamps

The judge had to tell them you can’t sue for something that wasn’t yours to begin with.

Same scam next year on another unsuspecting liberal

This the rule not the exception

I could site other violations as well

My question who do I report it to? The judge in court knew all about it and did nothing.
A side note if I could somehow report them you all would call me racist.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It absolutely does happen... I`ve seen it myself . And a "family" of hispnics who had 4 carts of food that was paid for with food stamps . I Don`t speak spanish, but the cashier did . She was in tears after they left--- she is a single mom who couldn`t get any assistance , and she said the customers were laughing about the food they bought was supplies for their resturant . She looked at me and said "why am I working to pay for their food? When I can barely feed my own child?". I had no answers for her, other than to tell her that she by working hard is doing the right thing and it will eventually pay off ... if nothing else she is setting a good example for her child that character and personal responsibility matters. I told her that I was proud of her for trying to do the right thing.

I have managed retail stores , and heard all the time customers planning to abuse the system. Including suggesting it was time to get pregnant again to increase their benefits.

The system is seriously broken.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If you know of a person, not based on rumor and hateful old wives tales, then report it.

There is a national hotline reporting line, but it will go quicker if you do it in your own state.

Use your search engine "Food Stamp reporting Hotline" and the name of your state.

Remember you will need some way of identifying the person so they can find them. They actually do prosecute those who abuse the SNAP program.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: angeldoll

Since there are now work requirements in many states, with more coming online, this reduction of free food, will also help wean a lot of people off the government nipple.

This will not make any difference since most people on food stamps already work.

Get a Job? Most Welfare Recipients Already Have One
By Eric Morath
Apr 13, 2015 12:38 pm ET

blogs.wsj.com...

www.cbpp.org...

Most Working-Age SNAP Participants Work, But Often in Unstable Jobs

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
As sad as this is, and believe me it is, perhaps this is something that is desperately needed.

I work in a convenience store, and watch every day as people, who are on food stamps, use their ebt cards to get soda's and junk food. I watch as they use the cash back option to get cash back, and spend it on other things that is really not needed. Do you think a child really needs candy to live, or a sugary drinks?

And these same people are oblivious to the fact that if this shut down continues on, they are not going to have that money there for them, that they will go hungry.

Before you ask, yes I do look at the receipts that pop out of the register, and also note, that many of them are getting benefits far greater than my by weekly paycheck.

I am not being cruel, but I think it is a social net that is being abused too heavily. I know a few customers have mentioned such, and while I can not state such at work, it pisses them off, and I can not blame them. Nor would anyone who has to work full time and does not get any sort of assistance, to see such abuse going on.

So as sad as it may seem right now I am hoping that there is this blip that does happen, perhaps it will wake people up and they learn this lesson before the next one hurts even worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join