It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
There is only enough money to pay for food stamps through the month of January. If the shut down continues, there will be no way to fund this program in February or after.

In my mind, whichever party involved in this, whether it be Trump or the Democratic caucus, that decides to compromise and stop this madness, will be the true champions. We can't let people go hungry. There is no way charities, though they might try of course, can fill in the gaps.

The USDA has said only that it has enough leftover money to pay for January’s benefits. Its reserve fund amounts to less than the total projected cost of February’s benefits. After February, it’s possible there would be nothing. Other food programs that serve seniors, mothers and children could also be affected.

The possibility of lost food assistance caught the White House by surprise, the Washington Post reported Friday. Administration spokespeople did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday.

It's bad enough that federal employees are having their wages furloughed, but when the focus turns to United States citizens being hungry,
the S might very well meet the fan, for both sides. One of them needs to find a way to keep the program funded, even if the shut down continues but I haven't seen this being discussed. Maybe the WH will comment on this today, as I think it just dawned on them yesterday when it was pointed out to them.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 1/6/2019 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
No more grape Nehi or BBQ ribs

I joke (sorta)

Have you really never been in a grocery store and been behind one of these link carders in line?

They eat better (or worse I guess) than anyone who earns a living ever would.

Because they don't care, because they are not paying for it.
edit on 6-1-2019 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I might hold a strong conservative view on a lot of issues, but I have always felt that Food assistance should be a right for all US citizens. That is really where tax money should go. Give everybody a minimum amount to feed themselves to supplement their pay. This would be the best type of UBI system to use.

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
By the way Nancy could end this all tomorrow by securing our border.

Why not do that?????

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

I joke (sorta)

Have you really never been in a grocery store and been behind one of these link carders in line?

lot of that going on

lot of people who need it and dont do that either

this is not cool

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Mass-Panic Mass-Protests being organized as we speak !!

The NGOs will not let this crisis be wasted ..
🚬🐔

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have a suggestion!

Stop the pay on Congress.
Trump already donates his pay, IIRC.

This needs to be settled......with compromises, with good faith negotiating....

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

good faith negotiating....

Doesn't exist!

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I have a suggestion!

Stop the pay on Congress.
Trump already donates his pay, IIRC.

This needs to be settled......with compromises, with good faith negotiating....

Negotiating? Negotiating? I think that word has sadly waxed archaic, along with the old obsolete word of "compromise".

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

I joke (sorta)

I've been the person in front of you in line at the grocery store. No, I didn't particularly care what you, or anybody else, thought of my food selection. I was, however, completely embarrassed to be using government assistance to feed my kids, even though I only used it for a very brief period of time.

Does everybody on an assistance program feel that way? No, of course not. But are they all like you describe? No, they sure aren't.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The democrats better make a deal soon. They're going to lose their dependent base if they don't act soon.

Trump shouldn't back down from something most Americans want.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is all Trumps fault.

Lets get right back to the basics. He promised a wall would be built and Mexico would pay for it. Now there isn't actually going to be a wall and he wants the taxpayer to spend $5 Billion for a metaphorical wall so he can rally his base of support.

So because he's not getting that he is basically holding the country ransom, its quite obviously wrong but his supporters seem to be the only ones who don't quite see it that way. So no more food stamps, as Trump says he is willing to let this shutdown go on for months if not years as people struggle to eat so he can win some political points.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
So... they have a month to prepare for lean times. Or find a job. Or realize they are not as bad off as they think and stop using assistance so the real crisis cases can keep getting help. Or start buying cheaper food. Or...

You get the idea. This is not the end of the world, especially if the "problem" is recognized now.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Lets get right back to the basics. He promised a wall would be built and Mexico would pay for it. Now there isn't actually going to be a wall and he wants the taxpayer to spend $5 Billion for a metaphorical wall so he can rally his base of support.

So because he's not getting that he is basically holding the country ransom, its quite obviously wrong but his supporters seem to be the only ones who don't quite see it that way. So no more food stamps, as Trump says he is willing to let this shutdown go on for months if not years as people struggle to eat so he can win some political points.

How is this Trump's fault when the dems have just been obstructionists from day 1?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
So... they have a month to prepare for lean times. Or find a job. Or realize they are not as bad off as they think and stop using assistance so the real crisis cases can keep getting help. Or start buying cheaper food. Or...

You get the idea. This is not the end of the world, especially if the "problem" is recognized now.

Could be the end of the world if your a single mother with a few kids living in a impoverished community and you need those stamps to get your kids some decent food.

Just be thankful you don't know what its like to live like that.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

A brief lesson in Governance.

The president can only sign what is put in front of him by congress and the senate.

So it's Nancys fault

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Trump shouldn't back down from something most Americans want.

Can you source that please?

I'm just really curious about that, because a week ago the President was telling us that most government workers want the wall and they tell him they want the wall, but then yesterday he says he doesn't care that most of the workers not being paid are democrats.

It just seems like if most government workers want the wall, then most government workers probably aren't democrats....doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

How is this Trump's fault when the dems have just been obstructionists from day 1?

Because he is doing it quite literally to break a campaign promise so that his supporters will somehow think that him breaking said promise is winning. This is all about him scoring political points and nothing else, he might tell you its about boarder security but its not. Boarder security to him is just a euphemism for "keep my supporters voting for me".

He promised Mexico would pay for all of this, they're not and now he expects taxpayers to pay for it just so he can score political points.

It is wrong that as a result of this people are going to be losing food stamps.

link   
a reply to: angeldoll

That's why you don't let the government feed you or pay for bills, or give you income.

Maybe now the freeloaders who don't NEED the aid will be deterred from using public funds. If we had fewer abusers the funding would last that much longer.

Don't work for the government. Don't depend on it either. It can come and go this way. We stay.

Edit to add:
These programs are good and should be kept. Not at their current level though. The need has to be addressed in other areas of society.

Less income tax. Fewer fines and penalties for certain income brackets. Something.

There are too many abuses. Most average Americans don't qualify for extreme financial hardship. They are poor but not poorer than undocumented immigrants or other sob stories.

So average Americans don't actually get much help.

Last time my family applied they offered us 40 bucks a month. We said no thanks. We are not even low middle class. Only the most desperate of foreigners get the full benefit of the system.

Members of the armed forces, who make up a large percentage of welfare users, don't get what immigrants in extreme poverty get.

That to me is a problem. I dont want the system as is. Let it shut down and be fixed. Give preference to TAXPAYERS.

edit on 1 6 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

There are food pantries with tons of free food just not Ribs and Lobster and grape Nehi

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join