It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

At least the house bill does
It also included 54 billion for " foreign aid"

We can pay other nations but cant secure our own border

Genius

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
There are so many food banks run by various churches and charities.

I drive by a church on the outskirts of a small town on my way to various places, and every Thursday they give away free groceries to those in need. There is a large sign out front, and you can't miss it.

Even if the government didn't have a Food Stamp program, there are so many charities and churches that help people. I guess it is less convenient because some may not have transportation, but I would assume if called, someone would deliver the food to a family in need.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I know what I am going to say is going to sound heartless, and elitist to some, but I think this may be a good thing.

Earlier around the internet, it was being discussed that the government has warned us there is a large possibility the electric grid will be compromised, and the government will be unable to assist the majority of the masses. They are encouraging the masses to have six months of food and basic resources on standby.

If they can't handle a couple of weeks, six months will be catastrophic. Maybe this is their weak attempt at motivating the masses to prepare for the inevitable.

Relying on the government is lousy strategy, and will result in chaos, societal divide, and death for many.

edit on 6-1-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: knoxie

So the Senate and house disagree?
Not the first time.
Still an issue with Congress not sending a bill to the president.

Still not trump vetoing a sfinance bil is it?

Perhaps Pelosi should meet with mcconnell?
Perhaps they BOTH should COMPROMISE?

wrong again. it's up to mitch to send the bill to the president, not congress.

remember, it's the same exact bill the republicans put together weeks ago. mitch is too much of a coward to give it to the president. a republican plan!

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

My bridge club just gave 3,000 to the local food bank.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Lol
A bill from the past Senate is now expired and would have to be passed again.
Once again civics is your friend....perhas not yours.

"Mitch" cant just present whatever he likes to the potus.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

B.S. scare tactics in order to delete wall funding

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

This is an overlooked truth. Some in my family go to church and church events for the kids. Needy families get basic help directly and consistently.

The events like coat drives, fundraisers and the community itself fund the families who eat off the churches plate. Yes even holidays and religious calendar days that bring in "larger" resources.

It's not Jesus handing out fish and bread, but I see it help many families who otherwise would not eat as much.

edit on 1 6 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If you are really concerned that much, I'd suggest you get on to your democrat representatives and urge them to see sense and to stop holding out for open borders.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

The church I attend, has partnerships with several local organizations that provide for the poor, the addicted, and provides support and care for pregnant women and their children, before, during and after. They support, education, and job training. They even provide respite care for mothers and caregivers to give them a two hour break every other week.

The church does not get one single government dollar. It is supported by congregation dollars and volunteers.

I am not a religious person, but I volunteer twice a week at the church because they do an awesome job in helping the needy in my local community.

edit on 6-1-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Auto correct error.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

They already blaming it on Trump my neighbors son in law who is a dead beat was complaining because his ex-wife could not get her ral check from Jackson Hewlett because it's supposedly shutdown now he is crying because he thinks Trump shutdown will keep him from getting 600 dollars in food stamps to sell to man on corner s tore for his cigarettes and beer I kid you not..
He tried telling me I like Trump because he white and what was I going to do when I had to support mother because her social security check was stopped by shutdown. Yet you do not here these people complaining when demotard like Pelosi who shut down gov or 5 billion want to add another 54billion on spending bill to give to foreignaid.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Have you really never been in a grocery store and been behind one of these link carders in line? They eat better (or worse I guess) than anyone who earns a living ever would.

Do you actually know anyone who uses food stamps?

I do. They rely on them to stay fed as meagerly as they can.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

See that is part of the main problem immigrants are not supposed to get food stamps. If they getting them then they are apparently someone doing something fraudulent.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This is all Trumps fault.

Lets get right back to the basics. He promised a wall would be built and Mexico would pay for it. Now there isn't actually going to be a wall and he wants the taxpayer to spend $5 Billion for a metaphorical wall so he can rally his base of support.

So because he's not getting that he is basically holding the country ransom, its quite obviously wrong but his supporters seem to be the only ones who don't quite see it that way. So no more food stamps, as Trump says he is willing to let this shutdown go on for months if not years as people struggle to eat so he can win some political points.

How is this Trump's fault when the dems have just been obstructionists from day 1?

He promised Mexico would pay for all of this, they're not and now he expects taxpayers to pay for it just so he can score political points.

It is wrong that as a result of this people are going to be losing food stamps.

How many frick'n times do you have to have it explained to you that Mexico will be paying for the wall one way or another, yes, Mex will pay for it. You keep saying the same thing over and over when it's been explained to you and others ad nauseum how the wall would pay for itself. Are you people seriously this dense that you just can't comprehend common sense? Serious question. Do the math, it's a no brainer for christ sakes.

I don't care who pays for it at this point because the paying for the wall is not the problem, it's the GD political games they're playing and everyone in DC and this board knows it. If some of you can't figure this out by now, god have mercy on your ignorant soul.

To those that don't want the wall well boo hoo. American citizens want a wall because their sick of watching the abuse of the system by illegals and having to pay for them, their sick of watching their pay scales going down and their sick watching their jobs disappear. People are seeing how liberal policies effect them and they don't like it.

I was watching the show Drugs Inc. last night and they were interviewing one of the smugglers. He was talking about the problems he had with the existing walls and how it effected his smuggling business in a negative way. So those that think building a wall will not also effect the flow of drugs into this country are very wrong.

It is wrong that as a result of this people are going to be losing food stamps.

It is wrong and the Democratic Party is to blame for it. They don't feel that US citizens deserve national security. It's becoming more apparent every day that the Dem party couldn't care less about this country and the people in it. F them.
edit on 6-1-2019 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

If you are really concerned that much, I'd suggest you get on to your democrat representatives and urge them to see sense and to stop holding out for open borders.

I would do just that, if your "advice" had any merit, and wasn't based on BS.
edit on 1/6/2019 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
All we have to do to get the Left to not care about this issue is tell them that Whitey benefits the most from these programs.

Once they find out it disproportionately affects white people the Left will be all for it.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
If you know of a person, not based on rumor and hateful old wives tales, then report it.

There is a national hotline reporting line, but it will go quicker if you do it in your own state.

Use your search engine "Food Stamp reporting Hotline" and the name of your state.

Remember you will need some way of identifying the person so they can find them. They actually do prosecute those who abuse the SNAP program.

Yeah, and get shanked for the snitching. Better to let them get caught themselves.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

Watch it, your racism is starting to show..

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Do the states that get welfare from the fed still get that?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   

You do realize many of them carry balances on their snap cards. Some states are starting to limit the amount they can carry over to $1000.00. I've seen people with over that amount. Snap cards are not a use it or loose it monthly thing. I've always wondered why it isn't that way.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join