It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Why are you listening to them for more than entertainment?

This is the wrong site for you.

I dont know why ken and Barbie lie on the news

edit on 1 6 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

i don't. LOLOLOLOLOL

the real question is - why does trump listen to them?

hilarous.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Since there are now work requirements in many states, with more coming online, this reduction of free food, will also help wean a lot of people off the government nipple.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have witnessed first hand people having babies to increase their "income".

I do not believe all welfare people fall into this category, just like I don't think they all arise from your terrible situation.

Okay. As a "person who resorted to becoming dependent on the government" your response still comes across as a blanket indictment of those who have used services.

As I said in my first comment, of course I'm aware that there are those who abuse the system. There are plenty who "resort to becoming dependent on the government" who not only didn't want to be or choose to be, but are embarrassed to be lumped into the same broad brush category as those who abuse the system by people with the mentality exhibited in this thread by some people.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

If you didn't why do you even mention them?

They have talking points for ratings, not answers.

How is it Trumps fault that you value their input?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Mmmm, Doritos ...

I haven't had a Dorito in forever. I'm "rich" see. No government pays for me to afford them.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Isn't it wrong that the system captures them too?

Why is our system designed that way, and don't you think they'll react exactly the same as the ones who want to be on the system because it enables them to be lazy?

I think they will because ... OMG, where will my food come from?!

The ones who designed this system know that and couldn't care less. All they care about is results.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I have witnessed first hand people having babies to increase their "income".

I do not believe all welfare people fall into this category, just like I don't think they all arise from your terrible situation.

Okay. As a "person who resorted to becoming dependent on the government" your response still comes across as a blanket indictment of those who have used services.

As I said in my first comment, of course I'm aware that there are those who abuse the system. There are plenty who "resort to becoming dependent on the government" who not only didn't want to be or choose to be, but are embarrassed to be lumped into the same broad brush category as those who abuse the system by people with the mentality exhibited in this thread by some people.

You’re either dependant on the government or not. Embarrassment is an important part of learning. If you do not want to be associated with them, don’t associate with them. But no, I’m not going to end my criticisms because you get embarrassed.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
There are a lot of disgusting comments in this thread. There are over 40,000,000 working age adults on food stamps in this nation, and how many children do you think those 40,000,000 have who will be effected but this? Do any of you realize that if you're not disabled to the point of not being able to work, you HAVE to have a job to receive food stamps? It's unfortunately become necessary for millions of families simply because wages haven't kept up with inflation for decades, and full-time workers with families are broke. We're talking about thousands of low ranking military members, more than 1.5 million veterans (who you pretend to care about when it's convenient for you), and millions who are just struggling to make it in our current economy. There are single parents out there working 2-3 jobs just to keep a home for their families, and this is how they eat. There will be abuse in any system, can't stop it, but the majority of SNAP recipients are just folks trying to feed their families. The children will suffer more than the adults. It's SICK that some of you are cheering this on. Trump made it very clear what he meant by a wall. Stop trying to say it's about increased LEO at the border. That is a lie, and you all know it. It is a literal "great, great wall", and nobody builds walls better than he does. Most Americans know we don't need that, most Americans don't want that, and people may soon go hungry because our president is a toddler in an old man's body, throwing a temper tantrum.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=24087882]tadaman[/post

he was ready to sign the bill the senate passed until he heard their warning that he'd lose support.

it was pretty obvious.

clearly it embarrasses you how much he listens to them. you should be more vocal about that.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
There are plenty of NGOs & NPOs which can help feed the poor if need be. That's their purpose. We don't need government feeding anyone. Americans donate over $400 Billion to charities each year. We'd give even more if taxes weren't so high. There're also more jobs available than can be filled in the private sector right now. One can buy a dozen eggs for a $1, bake a loaf of bread for $3 & buy peanut butter and jelly for $4 (combined). For 10 bucks a person can eat for a week. If they have a fishing pole, they can get free fresh fish. If in Florida they can eat pythons, iguanas & crabs for free as well. No one is starving in the U.S. regardless of food stamps.
edit on 6-1-2019 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Is that a fact or your take on it? Or worse, a pundits opinion?

Clearly you just want to make me upset, not actually deal with known and usable information.

I hear we have moon bases. So I guess that is a fact too.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

At the end of December I brought this up.

A government that gives is a government that can take away

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

This is all Trumps fault. 

Lets get right back to the basics.

Let's, shall we?
Since you seem to lack a basic understanding of how our system of government works I shall enlighten you.
The house of representatives passes a bill that moves to the Senate; if the Senate passes the same bill it moves to the president to sign or veto.

NO bill has been sent to the president.
If no bill has been sent how is it his fault?
(SPOILER ALERT) it is not

If Congress presents a bill and trump vetoes it then sure it can be his fault.
Until then this is on congresses head.

Sorry our political system is so complicated.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

No more grape Nehi or BBQ ribs

I joke (sorta)

Have you really never been in a grocery store and been behind one of these link carders in line?

They eat better (or worse I guess) than anyone who earns a living ever would.

Because they don't care, because they are not paying for it.

I've been the person in front of you in line at the grocery store. No, I didn't particularly care what you, or anybody else, thought of my food selection. I was, however, completely embarrassed to be using government assistance to feed my kids, even though I only used it for a very brief period of time.

Does everybody on an assistance program feel that way? No, of course not. But are they all like you describe? No, they sure aren't.

So in other words, you used it the way it was supposed to be used. Good for you.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Oh please, now you imply that if we all have to give any facet of government exactly what it wants every single time or we hate poor people.

Is that it?

So if government someday comes up and says that we all must give over our firstborn children into true slavery or else they will cease business and not pay into programs for the poor, we must or else we hate the poor that is what you are saying?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Border security isn't an emotional issue. There is not a moral crisis in sight.

A wall is not "immoral" and neither is increased border security along already LACKING and inadequate border infrastructure.

Using food stamps to pressure political opponents who are in favor of adequate border security is a morally questionable realm.

It's nuts when they say that they care about poor people but then hang us as a threatening mob at their opponents gates if they vote one way or the other.

"Watch out, we will sick the poor people on you". "We'll stop feeding them"

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

didn't the democrats sign the same EXACT bill the republican led senate passed a few weeks ago?

whose fault is it that it hasn't been sent to the president?

edit on 6-1-2019 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Shamrock6

Isn't it wrong that the system captures them too?

Why is our system designed that way, and don't you think they'll react exactly the same as the ones who want to be on the system because it enables them to be lazy?

I think they will because ... OMG, where will my food come from?!

The ones who designed this system know that and couldn't care less. All they care about is results.

Of course there are people who abuse the system. Including any government system whether it be food stamps or evading paying taxes to the IRS.

This thread is not about those who abuse food stamps. It is about those in genuine need of food.

Abuse of this system, and references to all the "lazy people" who just want your money, is an issue for another thread.
Please go make it, because I would prefer mine be derailed in this manner if you don't mind.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Food assistance is that a euphemism for free food?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join