It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scalise call out people mocking his being shot; msm outlet spins this as him being wrong

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
So I wanted to give an example of how the msm at times can lie by things like burying the lead, and the double standards they have.

Minority whip Scalise and Ocasio Cortez were having a Twitter debate over her feelings on a 70% tax bracket.

They are sort of slightly insulting each other, but nothing of note really.

Scalise's last comment on this debate was as follows.

"Happy to continue this debate on the Floor of the People’s House, but it’s clearly not productive to engage here with some of your radical followers," Scalise tweeted.

thehill.com...

And so TheHill, an outlet that I actaully like although it is left wing, decides to run this headline.

"Scalise labels Ocasio-Cortez followers ‘radical’ after tax debate"

I read that this morning and thought, geez, why is Scalise attacking her followers instead of focusing on her policies? And I bet that is what most people thought.

And then I read the article, and saw his quote, and sure enough, the headline seemed legit.

But what the headline left out was why Scalise made that comment.

You see, Scalise was shot and almost killed on a ball field by a radical Bernie supporter.

And people supporting AOC on this twitter debate started mocking Scalise for being shot and worse.

Here are some of the comments.

"Shes got better aim than James Hodgkinson (the guy who shot Scalise) thats for sure"

"Sniper his ass"

Now I in no way think AOC is responsible for these random online peoples comments. She shouldnt have to address them at all.

And I would prefer the media not address them as well. However, if the media is going to do a story, it is shameful for them to make the headline seem like Scalise was just going after AOC supporters, without mentioning their calls for violence.

This is relevant especially in this week, where many msm outlets ran articles about how "Republicans" were making fun of AOC's dancing, and how terrible that made them.

Yet no one seems to be able to find one named Republican that did this, only random online people.

So to many in the msm;

random twitter person makes fun of AOC dancing = Republicans are bad to make fun of her

random twitter person defends AOC and advocates shooting a Republican that has been shot = ignore the story or do a headline focusing on his comment about her followers being radical.

Imagine the headlines this morning if Trump or Scalise supporters had been calling for Cortez to be shot, and she said "I am done with this debate on Twitter because Scalise supporters are being radical"

They would have condemned violent Republicans, and applauded the poor victim AOC who is being threatened.

Lastly, I anticipate the "Who cares" posters to follow.

I think it is important to constantly call out the lies and bias of the msm. They routinely tell us how they are crucial to democracy because the public needs honest journalism, and yet most of them are merely propagandists at this point (yes that includes FOX news).

And many people are still influenced by the msm.

So when people go off about how unpopular Trump or Republicans are, ask yourself how would those numbers change if 92% of the msm wasnt near constant anti Trump stories

Heck think of how we may actually get thiord parties or politicians and policies that actually are focused on benefiting the people instead of the nonsense we mostly get now.

edit on 6-1-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Pffffft, take it to the floor for a maningful debate. Twitter is for Teenagers, not serious political debate from some old man. As far as OC goes, she probably gets it far worse as seen on this site.

I swear politics is like watching 3rd graders fuss.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's all about Fake News, and this is a prime example of it. Report it in a way that's disingenuous to create the illusion that supports your narrative.

Imagine their outrage had people made widespread rape jokes about Blasey-Ford.
edit on 6-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Welcome to the MSM world of how to influence elections !! 🔥✨🌟

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Surprised?

I mean really, is anyone?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

It's not about the comments, it's about the way the story is portrayed in the press.

Would you call it honest, even if biased?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Of course not, but why argue on Twitter FFS? You know it won't turn out pretty with all the keyboard warriors out there.

Everyone knows the MSM is biased anyway, so it's not like it was some grandiose eye-opening moment.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

When they get shot at and can't function like business as usual and NEED HELP with the crazies, they can laugh at us while we let them die.
edit on 1 6 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
3rd graders fussing.

I think its a tactic to weaken USA. The population has alot of weaponry, you dont want to attack directly, so you weaken the minds and behavior of as many of the gun owners and purdy soon half the gun holders are now willing (due to ignorance and emotional driven thinking mistakes) to help (invaders) against the other half.

The enemy has patriotic Americans using Marquiss of Queensbury rules while CNN etc are fighting dirty. Dumb people are prime for taking advantage of. USA is collectively dumb.

21 trillion and counting...money means little to 3rd graders...orange man say bad word.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FrostyFlakes

Meh, Once AI is perfected all us plebs will be exterminated anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Then which Democrats are making fun of Scalise? Just random online people as well?

You're more and more arriving to contrite conclusion based on single occurrences, blowing things out of proportion you cant just create these predicaments and accept them as facts.

So to many in the msm; 

random twitter person makes fun of AOC dancing = Republicans are bad to make fun of her 

random twitter person defends AOC and advocates shooting a Republican that has been shot = ignore the story or do a headline focusing on his comment about her followers being radical. 

Imagine the headlines this morning if Trump or Scalise supporters had been calling for Cortez to be shot, and she said "I am done with this debate on Twitter because Scalise supporters are being radical" 

They would have condemned violent Republicans, and applauded the poor victim AOC who is being threatened

First show which Democratic leader said Republicans are making fun of AOC dancing, if not for just online users who said this so as well..

Hypothetically suggesting if trump did or said 'x' then 'y' would be the outcome is purely conjecture and is simply an assumption being passed as fact..

The people who said aoc was being made fun of are part of the twittersphere as are the ones calling to snipe scalise
edit on 6-1-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

This is a lie.
Its a hard thing to explain when peoplelook at a news article and think well "its all fact" the facts they choose to show and those thry choose to leave out are all based on whatever story they want you to read.

Headlines ARE clickbait.
You are all lied to.
And you're lovin it!
Have it your way!
Choose this liar or that liar..
All telling facts...
And no one knows the truth.

Btw you are good at explaining things.
The more you go into specifics the more people will see. Theres a thousand ways to manipulate others when you have decided you know better, democracy be damned.

edit on 6-1-2019 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

They (the "Mainstream Media" aka MSM) are the enemy of The People, the enemy of Truth, the enemy of Justice, the enemy of America, and the enemy of Humanity.

We all know it. Fox included. They're the best of the bunch because they actually have entire shows with liberal hosts dedicated to the liberal point of view and one of if not their most popular shows, The Five, has a permanent Democrat on the panel of 5 people. But at the end of the day they are a part of the media quasi-monopoly. And they have shown their true colors a few times.

Only alternative sources and citizen journalists are to be trusted, after proper vetting.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Pffffft, take it to the floor for a maningful debate. Twitter is for Teenagers, not serious political debate from some old man. As far as OC goes, she probably gets it far worse as seen on this site.

I swear politics is like watching 3rd graders fuss.

Yeah... Scalise's realized that and that's why he bowed out of the debate while saying he'd he more than happy to continue it, but not on such a toxic platform.

Some people had a debate on Twitter = "I swear politics is watching 3rd graders fuss" ? Because they started a debate on a less than optimal platform?

EDIT- So...you agree with Gambler that the news source purposely mislead readers?Or?

You kinda skipped right over the topic in order to make fun of someone using Twitter because hes too old in your opinion and you have very strict ideas of where politics should and should not be discussed. That's nice and all but would you care to address the main point of the whole thread or do you wanna take this thread away from Grambler and make it into a different thread about the merits of discussing politics on Twitter and the age of Twitter users since the Actual topic makes you uncomfortable?
edit on 1/6/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FrostyFlakes
3rd graders fussing.

I think its a tactic to weaken USA. The population has alot of weaponry, you dont want to attack directly, so you weaken the minds and behavior of as many of the gun owners and purdy soon half the gun holders are now willing (due to ignorance and emotional driven thinking mistakes) to help (invaders) against the other half.

The enemy has patriotic Americans using Marquiss of Queensbury rules while CNN etc are fighting dirty. Dumb people are prime for taking advantage of. USA is collectively dumb.

21 trillion and counting...money means little to 3rd graders...orange man say bad word.

[EDIT- I apologize if this feels off topic but I think this is a big reason for these types of events... END EDIT]

I hate to agree, but, it's true. Maybe not just America, either. Our education system needs a complete overhaul. We have learned a lot about learning in the last 100 years, but the system of schooling hasnt changed all that much.

It's still structured around memorizing facts and not exercising your brain to use All its "muscles" to solve problems.

Extremely useful information is left out or limited, such as learning how to fix a car when it breaks down, that would save a struggling generation a lot of time, money, headaches.

Or how about learning how our government works? Some people dont even know the 3 branches of government.

Or how money works? Where it comes from and why paper with numbers on it is worth "money" (hint: it's not because the art adds value...its not like the $100 bill has 100x more valuable artwork on it in the elaborate designs and portraits, etc. than the $1 bill has or because there are less "copies" of it floating around)

And Why dont people all have basic medical knowledge? Why arent we all at "Nurse level" knowledge of our Own Bodies we have to live in?

And so much more that shows, in my opinion, that our intelligence is degrading, even though access to information is growing...

Maybe it will equalize or adjust or something in the future? But it almost seems like "why learn to speak French if I have Google Translate on my phone? Why learn medical information or automobile information if I can just look it up when/if I need it?

This attitude prevents people from gaining new perspectives that are gained when one sees the big picture of any particular subject. You only get the bits and pieces you see as necessary and never really *understand* things.

And the thing is, if you taught someone everything about an automobile and how it works and how the parts were made and how to take it apart and put it together, they would learn an incredible amount of math. AND be able to see how it can be useful in real world situations.

Math is just One thing. It's also packed with all kinds of chemistry, engineering, metallurgy, physics.

And this is just learning how it works. Learning how to drive it and all the principals involved would be a whole other basket of educational materials!

You could just have a class called Automobile and it could last a whole year and they would actually learn about something that is important to most of us in our lives: cars and driving. And having all of that knowledge would undoubtedly make safer drivers.

Or break it up and do a quarter worth of Automobiles each year.

All I know is this system of "let's all try to focus on 7 different subjects throughout the day" is not a smart system. You should be focusing on one thing for not just an entire day, but for a month or a couple of months or several months.
edit on 1/6/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

No, Twitter is for cowards who cannot engage in civilized debate in person. This is not exclusive to any political affiliation, race, color or creed. If an issue is that important to you, engage in person. Hell, you might actually get something done! But in this penny ante pissing contest between left and right, it is highly unlikely that will happen.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Then which Democrats are making fun of Scalise? Just random online people as well?

You're more and more arriving to contrite conclusion based on single occurrences, blowing things out of proportion you cant just create these predicaments and accept them as facts.

So to many in the msm; 

They would have condemned violent Republicans, and applauded the poor victim AOC who is being threatened

First show which Democratic leader said Republicans are making fun of AOC dancing, if not for just online users who said this so as well..

Hypothetically suggesting if trump did or said 'x' then 'y' would be the outcome is purely conjecture and is simply an assumption being passed as fact..

The people who said aoc was being made fun of are part of the twittersphere as are the ones calling to snipe scalise

did you take a class in how to miss the point? You did it in epic proportions here today. Well done. Grade A material.

new topics

top topics

join