It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 Minimum Wage - Real World Results

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good thing unions are almost an extinct concept then.
edit on 12/12/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

They aren't. And that concept is pretty close to how apprentice wages are determined within the unions.

I think it would be a really effective policy for a company to adopt in an increasingly tight labor market. However, the Libertarian in me is repelled by legislation to that effect.

edit on 12/12/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

originally posted by: toysforadults
honestly stop trying to talk people into slavery unless you're the one who's willing to work for that wage you shouldn't be telling anyone else to work for it

inequality.org...

The minimum wage reached its (inflation-adjusted) historic high in 1968, when it was raised from $1.40 to $1.60 per hour. Adjusted for inflation using the BLS online inflation calculator that would come to $10.55 per hour in 2012 dollars.

Using 1968 as our benchmark for the minimum wage implies that low-wage Americans today should be making just as much as low-wage Americans were making 44 years ago. That benchmark is — frankly — ridiculous.

A better way to update the minimum wage is to benchmark it to personal income growth in the economy as a whole.

Per capita real personal income excluding current transfer receipts — that is, the personal income earned in the economy, excluding Social Security and other government programs, adjusted for inflation — has grown by 100.6% since 1968.

In other words, the NELP has it too low — by half. If our standard for minimum wages had kept pace with overall income growth in the American economy, it would now be $21.16 per hour.

here's what I think would wake you up, everyone who works in the supply chain should go on strike and refuse to work for less than $25 an hour. when you shelves stop getting stocked your perspective will change on the value those jobs provide to you and your family

and remember, if you're not willing to accept something you shouldn't be talking others into doing what you yourself wouldn't be doing

Now. THERE'S a crock of sh*t.

Here's the deal.

The thing that leftist "equality of outcome" people just can't seem to grasp is the fact that there are people, let's call them "Employers", for lack of a better term.

These people are absolutely DESPERATE for real "Hard Chargers". Unfortunately, they are forced to hire useless young people who don't understand that despite what they think of themselves, and their self-worth, they are NOT special, or wonderful, or even worth a single turd.

Let me please to 'splain.

The "REAL" world is not what you were obviously taught to believe.

Your parents LIED to you.

You are NOT special. You are ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY WORTHLESS in a competitive job market.

If you can't hack it, I hate it for you.

I REALLY do.

But while YOU are cleaning toilets in eastern Europe, because you don't have the stuff, there is a motivated hard-ass that IS willing to put in sweat and blood, and you're left cleaning porta-johns because,m to be honest, you just can't hack it.

I'm sorry, sweety, but YOU are the master of your destiny.

You either hack it, or you don't.

Eventually Darwinism wins out.

I'm sorry to have to break it to you Puddin', but in the real world, you ain't sh*t, until you SHOW me why you ARE sh*t.

You win,or you lose.

Either way, YOU are the one responsible for it. Moan, pussificate, and whine all you want.

Otherwise, put up, or SHUT up.

Because, honestly, you ain't showed me SH*T!!!

Take responsibility for your destiny, or go away and shut the f*ck up.

Jesus Christ...Are you SERIOUS?

Nice racist post.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

it's already being automate regardless. stop trying to talk people into accepting less.

oh btw if the supply chain shuts down tomorrow you're out of food in 3 days, you tell me how valuable that labor is when you don't have any food to eat

If these jobs are already being automated regardless then what are we talking about here? Just more false promises of greedy politicians using poor people to get elected with no real intention of actually helping them? More false guardians from the evil corporate overlords when in actuality there are one in the same and working in tandem. That, my friend, is disgusting.

Man #1 puts his foot over a bug. Man #2 comes along and stomps on that foot of Man #1 to stop him from standing on the poor bug.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Being a car detailer, I would never put a car through an automated wash.

As for the minimum wage, 15 dollars is a reasonable wage for a labour intensive job.

If some one is just a "car washer" they should invest in some equipment and start a mobile detailing business or get into a proper detailers position. There's no way ever a proper detailer can be automated and have a job be properly executed

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Truth of the matter is,the ones who cry for these higher wages don't work in the first place,senseless and looking for the free ham sandwich

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: sooth

When you inact this $25 minimum wage also inact a law that prohibits automation or also makes it more expensive... say for every employee displaced by that automation the company must pay a $25 a business hour of tax to the state.

Sounds like a great idea ... unless your currently making $26 an hour doing something that requires more skill than moving a wet rag around a car.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The Left's policies are designed this way. They don't want you to have a job. They want you on welfare. They want you dependant on government. Why can't people see this?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Wouldn't inflation be a result as well due to the substantial jump in a minimum wage increase, all the while pushing skilled workers down( with the exception if the employer willing to compensate) in wages as our economies slowly become more automated in infrastructure.

Then again inflation would stop if people stopped buying things that they can't afford, and if the corps stopped producing thing that no one wants to buy because there no more of demand for it.
edit on 12-12-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If the $15 an hour minimum wage is so good why do unions want their members to be exempt?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SupermassiveBlackHOLE
a reply to: Xtrozero

Oops my math was garbage.
Thanks for pointing that out
And for him the season ends early November and starts up late February (can't put a timeline on the weather though)
So yeah that's 4-5 months of no lawn cuts
Which is something that has to be worked around.

But yeah my point exactly with the knowledge I gained I could start my own buisness.
Though the risk is high it is possible.
And that goes for pretty much any industry.
Once again sorry for the bad math.
It was a long day

let me do some math for you

You get your own mowers charge 40 per hour to beat the competition have one guys work for you and pay them 15. You are now making 65 per hour..
In the winter put a snow scrapper on the front of the truck you pull the mowers in and charge 100 bucks to clear drive ways...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JameSimon

Nice racist post.

Was the post racist against lazy young people? lol

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: toysforadults

I agree with everything in your post.

However, we should pass a law setting the minimum wage as a percentage of a companies median wage. This way a low class car wash can pay squat and CEOs have a reason to justify raising workers wages. Everyone in the company has a stake in raising everyone's wages. Or as a percentage of the worker making the highest wage.

Sorry, that is a dumb idea.

First, some companies and industries have a lot of low wage employees because of the nature of the business such as retail. The median would not reflect this fact by itself. Meanwhile, other companies that primarily have high skilled workers such as tech have much higher median salaries.
Second, CEO pay is largely based on stock performance over time, not a salary. Most CEOs of f500 companies have relatively low base salaries. Almost all of their comp comes from exercising stock options, not a wage.

Would this idea extend to folks like actors or athletes? Should an A list actor get $20 million a film when the production assistance is working for free or for a relatively low wage?

How about sales positions? I work in sales. Many of my co-workers make more than the owner / President of our company. Same on Wall Street. Traders and other revenue based positions make more than management in most cases.

Wages are driven by supply and demand. PERIOD. No amount of government interference and manipulation is going to change this fact. Markets don't care about how many bills a worker has, what is considered a living wage, or any of the emotional issues that people keep bringing up. NO ONE GIVES A F*CK about people's personal issues.

It is real simple. A company needs a job performed. They offer X amount of money to employees to do said job. If they aren't finding the help they need, they increase X until they can fill the position. If X becomes too high relative to the value of the work, the company will seek other solutions which are either raise prices or eliminate the position to cut costs.

edit on 12-12-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SupermassiveBlackHOLE

I'd mow about 15 lawns a day Including weedwacking and a full clean up For 15$ an hour in the Vancouver bc area. Boss charged about 45 dollars a lawn. 45 x 15 = 675 (bosses total a day) 8 x 15 = 120$ / day (my pay) Gas. Insurance. Equipment matinence. Maybe 100 a day 675 - 220 = 555$ / day 555 x 5 = 2775$ a week

I'm big into gardening and follow a lot of landscapers on social media.
Automation is coming to landscaping as far as mowing is concerned. There are already
multiple roomba style mowers for the lawn. They are expensive and not perfect right now, but the fact that they
are out there means there are more on the way. They even come with GPS tracking to deter theft.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Anybody been to McDonalds lately? They've introduced kiosks where you can order without using a cashier. I've seen these at Taco Bell as well. The human cashiers are still there -- for now -- but only an idiot can't see where they're heading. And it's because of rising wages.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: SupermassiveBlackHOLE

Oops my math was garbage.
Thanks for pointing that out
And for him the season ends early November and starts up late February (can't put a timeline on the weather though)
So yeah that's 4-5 months of no lawn cuts
Which is something that has to be worked around.

But yeah my point exactly with the knowledge I gained I could start my own buisness.
Though the risk is high it is possible.
And that goes for pretty much any industry.
Once again sorry for the bad math.
It was a long day

let me do some math for you

You get your own mowers charge 40 per hour to beat the competition have one guys work for you and pay them 15. You are now making 65 per hour..
In the winter put a snow scrapper on the front of the truck you pull the mowers in and charge 100 bucks to clear drive ways...

My barber started a lawn business on the side. Seems to be doing well and he is transitioning from barbering.

I did lawns in middle and high school. It was a good hustle if you didn't mind working outdoors/calloused hands. Never had to drop fries at a restaurant like my friends.

My wife's neighbor'ss growing up did the same. They started cutting lawns and said screw college and grew the business into a fairly decent size.

I live in a fairly wealthy urban suburb with postage sized lots. Kids around here have no hustle. My son will get a lawnmower, rake, and snowblower when he is old enough and I will send him out to make some money and teach him how to work for a living. He could probably turn it into a thriving business.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Unions are good where they are needed. It seems that they are antiquated in most cases and really limit growth where they are plentiful. I know a guy who does construction non-union self employed with about seven workers under him. He lives near Chicago and can only do construction basically under the table. People hire him because he can bid 3x lower bids than union and still make more than if he was union. He doesn't lack for work, so that is a good thing.

Wages really depend on the work and company...in most cases a company is going to spend about 35% of the gross on pay, so how you want to work that out whether they pay 10, 15 20 or more per hour it needs to really not go over 35%. We have a local burger place that went to 15 per hour...there is about 20 of them around here and their burgers are good but are rather expensive, so if people are willing to drop 20 bucks for burger and fries then they will keep doing good. If people do not want to pay that then they will have issues.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Every time someone starts flapping their gums about a national minimum wage increase it really makes me grind my teeth, what may (or may not depending on your view) work in say New York City, or LA would wreck the local economy in say Broken bow Oklahoma, or Conway Arkansas.

Just like the idiots from those areas (east and west coast elites) coming into the middle states and paying 2-3 times the local cost of land because they think its cheap (because they are apparently to stupid to research an area before infecting it) pushing the cost of land out of the hands of the locals as a cascade of higher prices usually follows.
edit on 12-12-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Unions are good where they are needed. It seems that they are antiquated in most cases and really limit growth where they are plentiful. I know a guy who does construction non-union self employed with about seven workers under him. He lives near Chicago and can only do construction basically under the table. People hire him because he can bid 3x lower bids than union and still make more than if he was union. He doesn't lack for work, so that is a good thing.

Wages really depend on the work and company...in most cases a company is going to spend about 35% of the gross on pay, so how you want to work that out whether they pay 10, 15 20 or more per hour it needs to really not go over 35%. We have a local burger place that went to 15 per hour...there is about 20 of them around here and their burgers are good but are rather expensive, so if people are willing to drop 20 bucks for burger and fries then they will keep doing good. If people do not want to pay that then they will have issues.

Unions promote mediocrity.

I work in sales. We have people who barely make $30k/yr and those who make more than $1 million/yr at my company. A union would say all sales people had to make say $100k/yr.

The poor performers would love it as they make $100k/yr for doing work that really is only worth $30k/yr. On the other hand, the rainmakers would get pissed because instead of making $500k or more, they are being brought down to $100k.

This is my problem with unions and trying to make everyone equal. Everyone isn't equal.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Its really easy if no one is willing to mow your lawn for what you offer your lawn want get cut

Poof and just like that you have no leverage

That's why unions work. Let me guess you arent pro union?

But this discredits your whole argument

There were many people willing to work for less than 15 an hour

People like... me!

I am 34 and have never made more than I do now

I make around 14.50 an hour

So if I am willing to work for that, why should the government tell me I can’t?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join