It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 Minimum Wage - Real World Results

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

also remove the central banks and allow states to compete with state run currency that all citizen's have a stake in with ownership shares

Funny how these same posters ignore the fact that billions were poured to save the banks.

Socialized banking. Yeah right.

to quote one of the posts from page 1 -

Supply and demand is what drives wages. Nothing else. You can intefere all you want, but at the end of the day, the supply and demand curve is going to win out.

Why should some industries be too big to fail? Car makers likewise were pumped with billions of Federal subsidies. They still ended up offshoring work.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
here's what I think would wake you up, everyone who works in the supply chain should go on strike and refuse to work for less than $25 an hour. when you shelves stop getting stocked your perspective will change on the value those jobs provide to you and your family

Yeah, it would. If I was forced to rely on feeding my family purely from what I hunted, caught, and grew, my bank account would be bursting at the seams! Make this happen, lead the charge! My wallet would be oh so grateful.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I addressed it here for your reading pleasure. I do not want to hijack this thread with the fascist roots of the democratic party, and Trump being clearly anti-fascist, so I post it here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-12-2018 by Theocracy4America because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

you like running your mouth with not a lot of information. but yeah go ahead and keep trying to convince people to accept less. that's real cool of you

You're a fool and foolish. Once again, I'm not trying to get anyone to "accept less." Got that? I'm just saying I won't pay you any more. And if you demand more or refuse to work unless you get more, I'll automate and put you out of work entirely. That's the economic reality of it and what you seem incapable of understanding. The fact that you, personally, are a tile setter and make more than the minimum wage is irrelevant to the discussion. You were portraying yourself otherwise. You misrepresented yourself.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The world around you would crumble. I would love to see you survive that chaos.
edit on 12-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Nah. You make statements void of information and hurl insults

Automation is replacing the workforce weather people demand more or not

Do you have any accurate information?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The world around you would crumble. I would love to see you survive that chaos.

You'd be surprised.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I think martial law would be implement in a matter of hours and nobody would be doing anything

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: amtracer
I'm thinking that because of automation and the demand for higher wages, people would take a hint; to utilize information from business owners to seek career paths that garner a higher wage. A business cannot provide wages to an employee if revenue is not generated, and the demand for higher wages is killing small businesses. A large corporation on the other hand, that generates enough revenue to pay its executives hundreds of millions of dollars per year, in my opinion, can liquidate assets, cut down executive salaries, and pay their employees more because they can afford it.

Then is there a conspiricy to destroy small businesses so the large corps won't have the competition? Then with the competition greatly reduced they can jack up the consumer prices to squeeze as much out of us as possible.

Instead of the car wash industry wouldn't the walmart retail industry be a more recent and better setup for a debate. They haven't gone fully automated, but have opened up self check out lines and could go fully automated. Reducing the need for cashiers having fewer employees to help people when they need assistance at the self check out line.

What about amazon stores trying fully automated self checkouts with just a couple of security guards?

Reality for me is I'm the only one who has a job in my family hubby being unemployed. My pay of 11.27 with 40+ hours a week isn't enough. I'm above federal minimum wage, dont qualify for welfare, and can barely make ends meet. No tv no internet. Typing this on my phone. Would love to make enough to make ends meet without having to worry about it.

If a pay increase would help me then yes. Cost me my job then no.

What if the entire country increased to 15 an hour. Costs would go up. If they remained down, wouldn't businesses make profit because more people are buying and can afford to buy more things? A pizza joint sells their pizza for 10 a pizza, keeps their price the same, and doubles or triples their out put. Wouldn't that more than offset the employee increase? That would include everyone else not raising their prices because they don't think they will sell enough and out price themselves to death where consumers turn up their noses at the steep prices.

I remember reading in the Bible somewhere paraphrase basically a days wages for a loaf of bread. I think that would happen with a total crash of the complete system. Along with other catastrophic events happening or happened. Thats another thread.
edit on 12/12/2018 by Mystery_Lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I think martial law would be implement in a matter of hours and nobody would be doing anything

They would be complaining which technically is doing something.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

what's funny is there's like 10,000 years of history prior to the minimum wage and about 100 years after

I'm sure there's a comparative analysis that can be done to prove an argument but I've never seen anyone do it, also they hate having to recognize the minimum wage prior to the debasing of our currency in 1971 when our economy was given to big business

never see those rightfully addressed, just one platitude after another
edit on 12-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Sounds like a job for Alex Jones...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Mystery_Lady

it's not a 1 to 1 ratio of wages to cost, there are different variables involved in determining pricing especially for larger corporations but employee cost is typically top 3

still not a 1 to 1 ratio so the overall benefit would be bigger than the resulting inflation

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Nah. You make statements void of information and hurl insults

Automation is replacing the workforce weather people demand more or not

Do you have any accurate information?

It's "whether." My statements are full of insight if you weren't so pissed off to hear them. The issue here is when the lines cross. Put simply (for obvious reasons), every dollar increase in wages brings automation FASTER. Get it? Yes, I agree with you. Automation is coming whether we like it or not, but the speed at which it arrives is directly proportional to the wage scale. You are going to see automation hit a whole lot faster at $20 hour than you are at $15. And for the car wash example, the $15 already crossed the line. It's over for them. Fighting for that $15 an hour already cost them their jobs. Good job, Sanders. That's what you call fighting for the people!

I notice you are doing EXACTLY what I suggested in my previous posts as a strategy to avoid automation taking your job. You're educating yourself so you don't have to be a tile setter the rest of your life (or until they automate that, too.) Congratulations. You are following my advice.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well, I can only speak to the car wash industry, as I have a family member doing that job, right now. No, they don't make a good base wage, and the work is hard, BUT...
Doing a good job, they currently can make a ridiculous amount in tips. And in the winter? 3 to 4 times as much. So most days right now, with tips, they are making 3-5 times their base wage, in tips, a day.

They aren't screaming for a higher minimum.

Healthcare would be nice though.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You've obviously never been to Alaska, have you?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

you obviously have no idea the amount of money invest in automation right now, here's a hint it's more 500 billion, automation is coming faster than you can anticipate and your antiquated rhetoric won't make a difference

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I truly cannot comprehend the federal government creating such a hike in minimum wage. States have completely different economics and cost of livings...heck, even counties or cities within individual states vary on what a living wage can afford.

Why cant the free market allow for wages? If citizens can't afford to live and consume what is produced or for sale...employers will naturally have to lower prices or pay employees more. It will eventually find its own balance as long as government was not stealing from Paul to pay Peter via personal or corporate /welfare bailouts!

Free market capitalism is what originally made our country great. A fair wage for a fair days work...allowed for many to realize the real American dreams. Supply and demand for employer, employee, creator and buyer...$$$ may fluctuate but would always find a true balance.

The course that is being set now...is a Venzuelan style one.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JameSimon

Was the eastern Europe reference necessary for the point you're trying to make?

Wasn't my statement, but I did find it funny... I guess the original poster is racist against...

Armenians, Russians, Talysh, Avars, Turks, Tatars, Ukrainians and Poles. mixed or others (i.e. Luxembourgers, Eastern or Southern Europeans, Africans and Asians and Latin Americans) 10%. other Scandinavian, Germans, Frisians, other European, Greenlandic Inuit and others.

Boy that is one racist FMer... I must say...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Hmmm

Arguably FDRs Kensyian policies are responsible for the our current standard of living

Im open to you proving that theory wrong

Before that was the industrial age and that didn't go so well for workers

What's right and what isnt

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join