It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 Minimum Wage - Real World Results

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JameSimon

Nice racist post.

And your reply made absolutely no sense. It's racist because?? Making people work for what they deserve is now racist??

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
When bank machines first came out the big selling points were convenience and reduced fees to the customer. What has been the results over the last 20 or more years? Less bank employees, more bank machine usage fees, etc..basically..banks making more profit with less employees and they even managed to charge their customers more for using the machines which is even more profit. It is all about profit, no one cares about the employee..period!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Xtrozero

Its really easy if no one is willing to mow your lawn for what you offer your lawn want get cut

Poof and just like that you have no leverage

That's why unions work. Let me guess you arent pro union?

But this discredits your whole argument

There were many people willing to work for less than 15 an hour

People like... me!

I am 34 and have never made more than I do now

I make around 14.50 an hour

So if I am willing to work for that, why should the government tell me I can’t?

Unions and the minimum wage were used to prevent blacks from getting jobs back in the day. A minimum wage prevented those who were willing to work for less from getting a job.

The minimum wage is like removing the lowest rungs of a ladder. In the video I posted, most of the workers are low skilled immigrants. They have no other skills or employment prospects.

The way minimum wage is supposed to work is that the worker is willing to work to perform a job that doesn't require a ton of skill hence the minimum wage. As the worker gains skills, they leave or move up to higher paid positions.

These jobs were never intended for anyone to be trying to live off of or make a career out of... yes, it does happen, but that is not the fault of the company nor does it change the fact the job is still only worth X amount of pay.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Minimum wage laws also hurt small businesses disproportionately

I live in rural pa

Most of the small businesses around here pay people around ten an hour

These owners are operating stores at almost no profit

Now let’s say the minimum wage is raised to 15 an hour

The dollar general and wall mart being corporations can afford this

The mom and pop stores that are making almost no money now will be out of business

And all of the people the employed are also out of a job

Meanwhile corporations take a small hit which they pass on to customers or there employees by cutting hours, and which is more than made up for by the fact there local competitors have been priced out by the government

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
There are several things the far left of my party insist on ramming down our throats, and mandatory minimum wage is one of them. Sanctuary cities are another.

Honestly these (living) minimum wage laws should be a city thing. 15 an hour here would decimate the mom and pop small businesses. Seems many people fail to grasp that an employer pays for more than just wages, and every wage increase also increases those other expenses. With that being said, if you are actually willing to get off your butt, and show up, almost every decent job around here starts above 15 an hour. And our cost of living is among the lowest in the country. But you have to actually show up, on time, and produce. Seems like that’s too much to ask for these days.

I can’t imagine that 15 an hour would be a drop in the bucket if a person needed to survive in nyc, or San Francisco.

a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Preaching to the choir

I am on ohone so I can’t embed videos but here is the great Milton Friedman explaining how minimum wage laws hurt minorities and others that were trying to start in the work force

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
its hard to believe but this is subject that we agree upon. a reply to: Grambler

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I come from a poor single parent background.
Both my sister and I didn't want to live in constant poverty so we tried harder.
I didn't try as hard as my sister as she's a multimillionaire.
I fell into construction and became a union carpenter then earned my bachelors in construction management and now I'm a high rise construction superintendent.
I get feeds on FB with local news, etc and people complaining how expensive it is to live here in Honolulu.
I used to try and help and offer to assist people in joining a construction union but for some odd reason I always get attacked for that.
Weird tuna man.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

There should for sure be one set of regulations for a mega billion dollar company and small mom and pop shops which are almost non existent if you remove resturaunts from the equation

Do what I said and get rid of social and corporate welfare and watch this entire dynamic change

That's the actual real solution

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Yep. In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with money and what it takes to live are the prices we're overcharged. We shouldn't be paying $5.00 for a hamburger that costs around 35¢ to 45¢ to make. We shouldn't be paying $3.50 for a bag of chips that were bought in bulk by the grocery store at $1.50 per bag that took the manufacturer 75¢ or less to make.

These numbers may not be accurate, but you can see my point.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
its hard to believe but this is subject that we agree upon. a reply to: Grambler

The truth is most people are decent and want the same problems solved, it’s just how do we get to those solutions we disagree

So I’m not surprised we agree on things

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

This is a result of the Feds monetary policy and corporate subsidy propping up what would otherwise be out dated business models

Debasing the dollar and creating a massive credit bubble is what's creating the problem but the Kensyian belive its saving the economy

edit on 12-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

also I would like to point out anyone who's working for less than minimum wage right now is literally a slave, that's a joke and how dare you try to talk people into accepting less

the hell is wrong with you??

imagine making less than minimum wage and working 40+ hours a week and only taking home $200... are you out of your mind? stop the fake arguments

There are lots of jobless people that would love to bring home $200 a week. You're acting spoiled. Everybody should have to start somewhere no matter what the pay is. Struggling is a necessary life lesson that we should all learn. When I started my current job 11 years ago, I spent my first 6 months sweeping floors and cleaning bathrooms and there were 7 people I had to answer to. I didn't like it, but I did it. Now the only person I answer to is the CEO.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I don't know about other company's I work in wholesale and my company is freaking out to the point of riding employees to work faster and timing them and the products we sale are live animals that each have to be inspected for quality , when you start putting pressure on the one's who pull and pack the animals quality is sacrificed for speed which doesn't make for a happy customer . In wholesale it's all about the margins and the margins people a willing to pay a jump from $10 to $15 doesn't sound like much but it's really a big deal when it comes to pricing .

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This is a result of the Feds monetary policy and corporate subsidy propping up what would otherwise be out dated business models

Debasing the dollar and creating a massive credit bubble is what's creating the problem but the Kensyian belive its saving the economy

It's ridiculous. I could understand paying around $3.50 for a fast food combo meal that really only took Whataburger a buck to put together, and even people that make minimum wage could enjoy a meal without overdrafting their bank account and wondering whether or not they'll make it home on empty. But $8.59 for a combo is nuts.

I don't have a problem increasing minimum wage, but there's no need to raise it to $15.00 or even $10.50 when these companies could stop octupling their products for consumers. We're not eating at 5 star restaurants.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

It's ridiculous. I could understand paying around $3.50 for a fast food combo meal that really only took Whataburger a buck to put together, and even people that make minimum wage could enjoy a meal without overdrafting their bank account and wondering whether or not they'll make it home on empty. But $8.59 for a combo is nuts.

I don't have a problem increasing minimum wage, but there's no need to raise it to $15.00 or even $10.50 when these companies could stop octupling their products for consumers. We're not eating at 5 star restaurants.

The profit margins are not that high at restaurants. One of the lowest profit margin businesses around. Average restaurant profit margin is around 5%. So for every dollar you spend, their profit is a nickel.

Restaurants make their money primarily on drinks and upsizing your order.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It's a tough problem for sure. On the one hand, everyone who puts in an honest day's work deserves a living wage, hence people calling for a nationwide $15/hour minimum. On the other hand, the living wage isn't the same everywhere in the country. The cost of living in Wheeling, West Virginia is vastly different than Seattle, Washington. Even in the same state, LA is way more expensive than Crescent City. A nationwide (or statewide) minimum wage doesn't make sense for that reason alone, it'll never be able to satisfy everyone.
Coupled with that is the fact that there can be an incredible difference in the skill level associated with minimum wage jobs. As a very rough example, a brand new mechanic deserves to make more than someone dumping potatoes into a vat of oil. I know mechanics aren't necessarily minimum wage, but I've seen it before in really tiny shops. Bottom line, skill levels are a thing, and people should be paid for the skills they have/use/bring to the company.
I truly believe that companies should have to pay employees enough to live on, so they don't need to work 90 hours a week at 4 different jobs just to afford rent and food. However, some jobs just aren't worth $15/hour.

ETA: Another issue: Where I live, a brand new teacher makes $18 an hour. A cashier at Mickey D's should not be within $3 an hour of a teacher. Teachers are woefully underpaid, but being that close to a McDonald's cashier would just be insane.
edit on 12-12-2018 by narrator because: ETA

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

For sure those companies that can profit billions as such should be regulated. Wal Mart needs to be regulated theres no reason such wealth concentration. We don't need neo feudalism

That's what it is is neofuedalism and the government is facilitating it

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Acting soiled are you out of your mind?

Dude your whole post is complete nonsense 200 a week is complete garbage

You are tripped

Now 200 a week is spoiled. Wow you need a reality check

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Acting soiled are you out of your mind?

Dude your whole post is complete nonsense 200 a week is complete garbage

You are tripped

Now 200 a week is spoiled. Wow you need a reality check

I have to agree with toysforadults on this one. The problem people have is that they are their own worst enemy.
People truly do not know what they are worth. It's not about starting from the bottom, it's about being paid properly for what the job is.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join