It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 Minimum Wage - Real World Results

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm not a progressive you think I am because you want to pin a partisan label on my to validate your argument to the other back patters for stars

I'm actually a libertarian but I believe in competing state run currencies rather than a central bank and no social or corporate welfare that way the system auto corrects itself when the discussion of wages come up

but go ahead... make it partisan so your friends pat your back with stars

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

No it's a thread stating if you want to make more money determine what steps you need to take to do so. Dont go into a minimum wage job expecting to raise a family. You go into a minimum wage job and live thrifty while working on better oppurtunities. Set yourself up for a future and if you fault and have hard times then people have no problem helping you.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
do what i said and eliminate ALL social welfare and corporate welfare and whatch how fast the market stabilizes (after a lot of people die)

also remove the central banks and allow states to compete with state run currency that all citizen's have a stake in with ownership shares

watch how fast the economy corrects and there will never be low wages again

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Incredible. A thread actually telling people: hey people, you don't want to make more money, that's stupid. Everyone knows less money is better!

ATS has no bottom.

No. The thread is covering the misaligned intentions with a mandatory minimum wage and implications of. Moreover, how the market reacts, in this case automation.

It's not ATS that is the problem here. It's folks that can not comprehend what they are reading.

It's this simple, you own a business. What will be cheaper; automation or a human? Typically, human. What happens when those humans become more expensive? Automation.

With all of that, you want to tell people they're dumb for wanting higher wages.

I don't see that at all. I don't believe the OP would qualify their thread with such a comment that is obviously false. YOU read that on your own because you do not understand the topic.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

don't pretend we have a free market we have a centrally planned economy with corporate and social welfare programs that have thrown everything out of balance

but go ahead... make a free market argument

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm totally with you on this, OP.

But what's an illegal car wash? I guess I better watch that video!

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

don't act like free market principles apply to the current market, look at the Fed's 4.5 trillion dollar balance sheet

it's not a free market, free market's do not apply... either they totally stop subsidizing the economy or minimum wage goes up make your choice

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
it's funny watching you guys make a free market argument but not actually defending that exact point, you know it's a fake economy propped up by fake dollars

don't expect free market principles to apply in that situation because they don't

link   
a reply to: toysforadults

don't act like free market principles apply to the current market, look at the Fed's 4.5 trillion dollar balance sheet

They do as an individual income earner. You are a commodity, price yourself accordingly.

it's not a free market, free market's do not apply... either they totally stop subsidizing the economy or minimum wage goes up make your choice

How about they stop subsidizing and don't uphold a minimum wage? One caveat, tax havens and loopholes.

link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm totally with you on this, OP.

But what's an illegal car wash? I guess I better watch that video!

Illegal car wash is a guy who will wash your car on the side of the street. The old workers can't work at legit car washes anymore because the car washes won't hire them at $15/hr so they just get some buckets and clothes and wash cars for cash. They are illegal because they aren't licensed, etc.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: schuyler

it's already being automate regardless. stop trying to talk people into accepting less.
oh btw if the supply chain shuts down tomorrow you're out of food in 3 days, you tell me how valuable that labor is when you don't have any food to eat

That's a lot of bluster and anyone with half a brain has a hell of a lot more food stored that three days. If you do not, that's your problem. I'm just trying to point out the obvious. Yes, automation is going to come regardless, but the point here, which you seem intent on avoiding, is that for every dollar increase in a mandated minimum wage, the closer automation is to becoming economically viable. The video above that you apparently either did not watch or did not understand is ample proof of that. At $25/hour mandated minimum wage, that means that robots that were just a bit too expensive before suddenly become cheaper than dealing with such a high wage. I'm not telling anyone to "accept less." if anything i'm telling you to get a valuable education for yourself so you don't have to sell your brawn to stay viable. Ludicrous demands like that will simply ensure your unemployment comes sooner. But, of course, you'll find someone else to blame for your own idiocy.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

They do as an individual income earner. You are a commodity, price yourself accordingly.

How about they stop subsidizing and don't uphold a minimum wage? One caveat, tax havens and loopholes.

N ow you have me on board

But dont sit here with free market platitudes and tell me we actually a have free market because you know Damn well we don't

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

does it take you 40+ hours to mow my lawn?

you see how your argument doesn't make any sense?

How dare you assume my worth, or lack of worth. Will you pay me 200 bucks to mow your lawn? Hell lawyers charge 200 or 2000 per hour, so I'm not sure your point what what doesn't make sense.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm thinking that because of automation and the demand for higher wages, people would take a hint; to utilize information from business owners to seek career paths that garner a higher wage. A business cannot provide wages to an employee if revenue is not generated, and the demand for higher wages is killing small businesses. A large corporation on the other hand, that generates enough revenue to pay its executives hundreds of millions of dollars per year, in my opinion, can liquidate assets, cut down executive salaries, and pay their employees more because they can afford it.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Its really easy if no one is willing to mow your lawn for what you offer your lawn want get cut

Poof and just like that you have no leverage

That's why unions work. Let me guess you arent pro union?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I'm not acting like anything I'm discussing what's best in our current confines. Outside of those I don't think it really matters, look at the waste all around you how long you think they plan on maintaining this course? We f*ed ourselves with the perception of convenience. Convience meaning a one stop that sales a person on time effeciency while really selling an inferior inefficient product they will either have to continually over maintain or throw out and buy a new one.

We're at the point if we eliminate waste we will tank the economy, but also on a path that can only be maintained for so long. We've already sold ourselves for 'freedumb'.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
What is the purchasing power of minimal wage vs X number of years ago?

I work over half the year to pay taxes, so we are all are slaves.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

No we don't, granted.

BUT. markets will adjust, and not in a positive way to the average worker, with further demands of a minimum wage.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Well then it is about forcing people to work for peanuts.

Do you not think, for one moment, that any company not willing to pay minimum wages would also not jump at the chance of profiting by automation? That's the future.. everything mundane that can be automated WILL be automated.

That means even high paying wages, once it is worked out how to automate it.

So should a brain surgeon be paid $3 an hour, because a machine can do it for free, once the technology is there?

That is what you're saying.. Bottom line is, if you expect people to work, you should guarantee them a wage. Not dictate to them, that they're lucky a machine has not taken the job.

I have no idea what the mindset of people against minimum wage is, but it's only going to end badly for society... enjoy your google car wash, instead of fighting against it.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Two words ....Affordable housing.. without it, $50 an hour don't even work.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join