It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is San Francisco worse than a third world country ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here is a great video on Seattle's homeless issue. Mirrors the same problems as San Francisco. high cost of living, liberal utopian attitudes, etc.

Drug addiction masquerading as homelessness. Liberals refuse to address the issues.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I don''t have any data on it but it seems like common sense. If you want them to either go away or try to improve themselves and work there way out of it then jail would be a good start. Sticks and carrots. Jail would be a big stick. A big incentive to stop wallowing about when you hit bottom.

They may still want to roll around in the mud afterwards but after a couple of spells in jail cold turkey they would be doing it someplace else.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 6-12-2018 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech

you realize homeless people go to jail on purpose so they can get medical care or it's cold outside right? it doesn't work, to them jail is just a safe place to sleep at night with free food

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

you realize homeless people go to jail on purpose so they can get medical care or it's cold outside right? it doesn't work, to them jail is just a safe place to sleep at night with free food

I support drug legalization to try to minimize the criminal aspects that result from prohibition. At the same time though, we have to accept that some people will need to be forcibly removed from society/streets as they simply are incapable of caring for themselves.

People who have clear mental issues or severe drug addiction issues need to be dealt with humanely. I don't think jailing them works, but we do need to bring back looney hospitals and maybe instead of "jail" it is more like a rehab center.

I hate to be cold, but a lot of these people are like pigeons. You don't feed them as all it does is bring more of them dropping sh*t everywhere.

I live in a very liberal community with all kinds of homeless services. I've literally seen the same drug addicts / bums hanging out for years. They come to the community leaving their needles and crap all over our parks. We had one of these losers OD in our public library. I don't want my kids around them.

I am not heartless but we need to have some common sense in dealing with the issue.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

People who have clear mental issues or severe drug addiction issues need to be dealt with humanely. I don't think jailing them works, but we do need to bring back looney hospitals and maybe instead of "jail" it is more like a rehab center.

I totally agree.

"I don't agree with their lifestyle so they should be in jail" is very authoritarian.

I live in a very liberal community with all kinds of homeless services. I've literally seen the same drug addicts / bums hanging out for years. They come to the community leaving their needles and crap all over our parks. We had one of these losers OD in our public library. I don't want my kids around them.

I am not heartless but we need to have some common sense in dealing with the issue.

I can see your point here. I go to my local library regularly to study, well I used to anyway but since they allow the crazies to hang out there I can't do it anymore. Kinda sucks I pay for the library so people can use it to study and read and the youth can have exposure to something other than an IPad.

It seems to me more than anything these people just need a place to go that's not at our Library's or city halls.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I totally agree.

"I don't agree with their lifestyle so they should be in jail" is very authoritarian.

I can see your point here. I go to my local library regularly to study, well I used to anyway but since they allow the crazies to hang out there I can't do it anymore. Kinda sucks I pay for the library so people can use it to study and read and the youth can have exposure to something other than an IPad.

It seems to me more than anything these people just need a place to go that's not at our Library's or city halls.

Forcibly removing people from the streets is authoritarian but I don't think any other approach will work. I don't want to trample on people's rights, but if someone is homeless and mentally unstable / addict they cannot care for themselves.

Their homelessness has nothing to do with income inequality, affordable housing, etc. These people simply cannot function in society hence their homelessness.

So unless you want to them to continue to live on the streets, we have to decide to remove them by force and put them in place they can get help. For some, they will need to be committed to deal with their mental demons. Others need to go cold turkey in rehab.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Forcibly removing people from the streets is authoritarian but I don't think any other approach will work. I don't want to trample on people's rights, but if someone is homeless and mentally unstable / addict they cannot care for themselves.

I agree. But saying, "I don't agree with the homeless lifestyle or people using drugs so we should put them in jail" is as equally authoritarian as "you gotta pay for everyone elses healthcare".

If people don't want help like many suggest and I bet many don't (not all but probably a bunch of people), then, leave them alone. I for sure don't want my tax dollars spent on helping someone who doesn't want help.

We can agree on that right? Not spending money on people who don't want help.

Their homelessness has nothing to do with income inequality, affordable housing, etc. These people simply cannot function in society hence their homelessness.

Hmmm. I don't know. I would have to see data is there any data on homeless people?

I can agree that the majority of homeless people have serious mental health issues, should we institutionalize them? Should they be in prison with maniacs?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It is worse. Mexico, India, Haiti, or some other third world country more advantaged than San Fransisco should really intervene and take the homeless of San Fransisco into their countries where they can be treated properly and with dignity.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I agree. But saying, "I don't agree with the homeless lifestyle or people using drugs so we should put them in jail" is as equally authoritarian as "you gotta pay for everyone elses healthcare".

If people don't want help like many suggest and I bet many don't (not all but probably a bunch of people), then, leave them alone. I for sure don't want my tax dollars spent on helping someone who doesn't want help.

We can agree on that right? Not spending money on people who don't want help.

Hmmm. I don't know. I would have to see data is there any data on homeless people?

I can agree that the majority of homeless people have serious mental health issues, should we institutionalize them? Should they be in prison with maniacs?

It is either forcibly removing them from the streets or creating an area where you corral them in one place and "let them be".

Basically create some big homeless camp where they can shoot and snort till they can't anymore or just OD. However, I think it has to be made known that if they come out of said camp and commit any kind of crime (drugs would be free so no reason for them to rob and steal) then the boot of the law will kick their drug addict ass up and down the street with no mercy.

Or.... they can go to rehab and get clean.

I am just being realistic. See, I accept that some people will live on the streets. It is just a fact of life. I am not the one crying about it, liberals are. I just understand WHY they are on the streets and that the liberal solutions will not change their situation.

Society either has to accept that some people will be homeless or they have to decide we are going to remove them from the streets. The issue for many of us is that not so much that they are on the streets as we expect there will always be a people who live on the streets, it is that liberal solutions tend to encourage even more people to live on the streets.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I agree.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I agree.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Junkies don't get better in a "30 day stint" in rehab. Unfortunately these people are going to need years of help.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I don''t have any data on it but it seems like common sense. If you want them to either go away or try to improve themselves and work there way out of it then jail would be a good start. Sticks and carrots. Jail would be a big stick. A big incentive to stop wallowing about when you hit bottom.

why do you feel like you have to use government guns to force people to stop wallowing about??

are you a totalitarian?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I tend to agree having spent a number of years 'homeless' with a husband and young children. Homeless in preferences since we were fortunate to have a truck with a cap on back plus a tent. There are delineations amongst those without homes. We didn't sleep or potty on streets. We had shelter and containers to collect our urine and feces as needed.

We considered ourselves victims of authority and circumstances and no drugs, at the time we did not believe we were mentally ill. We just wanted complete freedom.

We did meet up with a menagerie of other homeless folks...everyone has their reasons. It all does boil down to a mental deficiency in the end. 'I am a VICTIM mentality!' it is extremely difficult to overcome that mentality. It truly weakens you.

I can happily say that I have overcome this and faced my victimhood challenges through others help by not BS'ing me with platitudes. Tough but honest love. I laugh now, since so many think I am rich.

Placating is useless. It only emphasizes that one is a victim and continues the downward spiral. Lesson learned is that victimizing another is destructive. Challenging others to step up is truly uplifting! No matter the differences...they all need to be challenged and shown a way to uplifting their self worth and self esteem.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I agree but challenging people isn't locking them up in jail that's actually making the problem worse

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I did agree with you. Jail is not helpful for the majority. It just adds to the victimization that feeds the initial problem. It is not a cookie cutter issue. Admittedly, the folks I thought were absolute dicks and were clueless to my circumstances...sigh...were on reflection the ones who were right and actually cared enough to tell me the truth.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

for sure, the issue requires a more granular approach there is no single answer

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Here is an idea on the alley ways besides dumpsters every other block put a port-a-john at cities expense it would help keep sidewalks clean by giving homeless a place to go as opposed to those high dollar on lick restaurooms that have been popping up in big cities where you have to pay to pee.. then let homeless know that use the provided facilities that it was put their for their use..

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I would say no but it’s close

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join