It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving my job of 5 years to do Youtube full time...And I'm scared.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm an IT guy and have been working at a small shop for over 5 years now. My boss is also my "friend", although things have become strained between us over the years. The thing is, he pays me good. Probably better than I'll be able to get anywhere else. However, I have also been running a successful Youtube channel on the side. It's gotten so big that it makes sense that I focus on it full time. Especially with the election coming up (it's a political channel).

After speaking with my father Monday, I took the plunge and gave my boss a resignation letter.

The thing is, now I'm scared. Youtube is doing good, but it goes up and it goes DOWN. Not to mention the constant threat of my channel being taken down by YT because of my political leanings. Part of me is wondering what I'm thinking. It's crazy....But at the same time there is a huge opportunity to excel.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant with my 2nd kid? Oi vey.......Am I a complete idiot?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You do know what Quick Sand is?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

Take the plunge. I think you are doing the right thing.

How about a link to your channel?

link   

Depending on a host that gets to pick and choose who they silence. Sound idea, if your goal is to bash Trump. May even earn the notorious 'inflated view counts' if you put some good material on there!

link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
I'm an IT guy and have been working at a small shop for over 5 years now. My boss is also my "friend", although things have become strained between us over the years. The thing is, he pays me good. Probably better than I'll be able to get anywhere else. However, I have also been running a successful Youtube channel on the side. It's gotten so big that it makes sense that I focus on it full time. Especially with the election coming up (it's a political channel).

After speaking with my father Monday, I took the plunge and gave my boss a resignation letter.

The thing is, now I'm scared. Youtube is doing good, but it goes up and it goes DOWN. Not to mention the constant threat of my channel being taken down by YT because of my political leanings. Part of me is wondering what I'm thinking. It's crazy....But at the same time there is a huge opportunity to excel.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant with my 2nd kid? Oi vey.......Am I a complete idiot?

If it has blown up part - time then it makes sense to focus on it full time if you think you can make it grow. Entrepreneurship is tough, but that is why business owners make the big bucks when successful. It takes a set of big balls to walk away from a stable paycheck to build something, not too mention risking your own money to do it.

We have some friends who are full time vloggers. They started 10 years ago and it blew up. They even have a best selling book now. I think they have about 300,000 youtube subscribers now.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

My casual, unsolicited and uneducated thoughts..

I didn't think people make money off youtube anymore, seems its' all patreon and merch. So given that, I'd hedge yourself and make sure you have backup platforms like bitchute and gab to keep your content going.

Really, if it's good, you'll survive even without youtube. It isn't going to get any better going forward for pol/commentary channels, especially if you are "on the wrong side of history".

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Benefits, ins, unemployment ? You tube is a transient entity.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
You do know what Quick Sand is?

In what context?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Well that's another thing. I get no benefits at my current job. The only benefit is that it's close to my house and it's good pay. Other than that. I gets nothing.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The political winds are shifting as the midterms indicated and will blow in the opposite direction 2020... Be prepared....

Plus you could always be an IT consultant as a side gig.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I didn't think people make money off youtube anymore, seems its' all patreon and merch. So given that, I'd hedge yourself and make sure you have backup platforms like bitchute and gab to keep your content going.

I'll say it isn't easy with the constant demonetizing of videos youtube doesn't like. However, I still manage to pull in a good amount of money. It fluctuates wildly sometimes though. Like my revenue was way up 2 months ago and now after the election is going way down. But that's why I want to focus full time on it because I'm 99.9999% sure I can make it happen in a big way.

Really, if it's good, you'll survive even without youtube. It isn't going to get any better going forward for pol/commentary channels, especially if you are "on the wrong side of history".

That's why I need to get a website going ASAP. Because yes, I see the writing on the wall for people like me.

edit on 5-12-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Yes.
You absolutely should.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Without knowing, I guess it depends on the political bent of your channel. If it’s reasonable intellectual observations about politics, you’ll prob be banned, deplatformed, and be forced to enter into costly lawsuits when folks start claiming you sexually harassed them while wearing a hitler outfit.

But if you just Rheeeeeee!!! About Trump, you’ll bank in the next two years.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I would have stayed working for your friend if I were you. I like working for smaller businesses though. It sounds like your new choice is not that secure for sustained income.

It is up to you, but I have seen many people led down the wrong path by friends saying to take a path they would never personally go on themselves. People will try to be "nice" and reinforce a friend's desire and beliefs rather than be honest and rational. It is your life, just remember not to get steered into the wrong direction by "people trying to be nice"

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Your attitude and aspiration are right... Don't find yourself saying 'if only I'd '...... You can and will change employment many times in your life.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I think your channel is great and you will do just fine.

Let me say that you helped me on my very first live video, and I literally would have just been an oaf fumbling with a camera had you not helped.

So if I can ever do anything to help you, let me know.

One thing I will say is try to not burn any bridges. Resign and work for your goals, that is brilliant. But keep as many doors open as possible in case you need to adjust later.

Also consider placing your material on other platforms, just in case you are for some reason deplatformed on youtube.

I really enjoy your channel and will be looking to see what you can do with it now that you will be working full time with it!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I'm a fellow youtuber.

Can I just offer a word of advice, have a backup source of income. Such as affiliate marketing or such. (which by the way if done right you can make significantly more than youtube - significantly!)
Youtube has shown that it can pull the income rug out pretty fast and there isn't anything you can do about it.
That would be a bad spot to be in with two little ones.

But other than that, Good luck!

edit on 5-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Well that's another thing. I get no benefits at my current job. The only benefit is that it's close to my house and it's good pay. Other than that. I gets nothing.

So...for 5 years and with a family...you've never gotten nor sought benefits for them? Um...don't know why you haven't...but...not my call.

And now...with an even larger growing family....you're "moving on-and-up"...with no benefits...still...not my call...but...?

I guess they are pretty much the same...but 5+ yrs is a long time to be satisfied with not getting, expecting nor even leaving to go elsewhere where you would be for your family's sake.

Good luck to you......

PS YouTube is a pretty iffy company whatwith new copyright laws internationally kicking in...IMO

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If you are good in your profession, you can always find another job and go from there.
If the YT is bringing in the bacon, I say milk youtube for every cent possible.

Millions upon Millions of people are trying to do exactly what you are doing on the tube, with no success.
Give it your best and ride ti while you can.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join