It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving my job of 5 years to do Youtube full time...And I'm scared.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If you're dedicated to a YouTube career, do your best to branch out and touch a little of every topic. Test the field and focus on the most positive responses. You will be surprised by how people feel about your performance in areas you wouldn't want to risk. And that's the key: risking your image in a consumer friendly manner. That's the only way to find out all the possibilities. Eggs in multiple baskets.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You'll never know unless you try. Worst case, you go back into tech work and lesson learned but at least you got to do something you enjoyed for a period of time.

Hey man... You can't act on your dreams if you never try. If you never try, you can't live them.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Benefits, ins, unemployment ? You tube is a transient entity.

Agreed. I love Youtube for entertainment but I would not stake my future on it. Do Youtube as a hobby or for extra income at most. But don't quit your real job.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I might suggest you get a LLC and tax number for your production company, if you haven't already and get an attorney on retainer because using content than your own can lead to a legal nightmare. I know...Also separate policy for the LLC. And you might want to read the FCC rules pertaining to free use content. It's not always free and there are sharks in the water amigo. This is advice passed on to me when I was shooting campaign spots for our local GOP back in Sept and Oct.

edit on 5-12-2018 by olaru12 because: oralje brenda

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

Couldn't you have done both for a while? I mean I'd never tell someone not to try something unless it is dangerous or harmful but couldn't you have sort of done it for a year or so while still working until you make some sort of profit or enough weekly/monthly and then left your place of employment? I mean I know quitting and having no job is a way to force you to do what you've wanted to do but in todays world where getting a paycheck that you can live on is more important.

My Dad always said "Let you be you" and so that's what I'll say, you be you and I do hope it works out for you but you're braver than I am because part of me would be concerned about the level of income. I don't know how it works with youtube so I'll just say good luck.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Couldn't you have done both for a while? I mean I'd never tell someone not to try something unless it is dangerous or harmful but couldn't you have sort of done it for a year or so while still working until you make some sort of profit or enough weekly/monthly and then left your place of employment? I mean I know quitting and having no job is a way to force you to do what you've wanted to do but in todays world where getting a paycheck that you can live on is more important.

My Dad always said "Let you be you" and so that's what I'll say, you be you and I do hope it works out for you but you're braver than I am because part of me would be concerned about the level of income. I don't know how it works with youtube so I'll just say good luck.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm all for taking a leap of faith, but if I were your wife and you were my husband, I'd have kicked you in the nuts so hard, they'd be shooting out the top of your skull.

YT is a hobby with occasional money wins, not a reliable income. Sorry bro, but personally, I think you made a very poor choice in equally poor judgement.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

Couldn't you have done both for a while?

I have been for the last few years now. I've just gotten to a point where I think it deserves my full attention. Especially when I'm making more on youtube than at my job. Although, I do make good money at my job as well. But with YT, there is real potential to be self employed.

Thanks man.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I'm all for taking a leap of faith, but if I were your wife and you were my husband, I'd have kicked you in the nuts so hard, they'd be shooting out the top of your skull.

YT is a hobby with occasional money wins, not a reliable income. Sorry bro, but personally, I think you made a very poor choice in equally poor judgement.

It may very well be the case. I hope not. Either way, I was reaching my conclusion at that job. I need something new.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I might suggest you get a LLC and tax number for your production company, if you haven't already and get an attorney on retainer because using content than your own can lead to a legal nightmare. I know...Also separate policy for the LLC. And you might want to read the FCC rules pertaining to free use content. It's not always free and there are sharks in the water amigo. This is advice passed on to me when I was shooting campaign spots for our local GOP back in Sept and Oct.

HA! I know you're right. I've already had to deal with it. The LLC is on my list for the next couple days.

Also for my audio helpers, better?

[snipped]

edit on 5-12-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Dec 6 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
I'm an IT guy and have been working at a small shop for over 5 years now. My boss is also my "friend", although things have become strained between us over the years. The thing is, he pays me good. Probably better than I'll be able to get anywhere else. However, I have also been running a successful Youtube channel on the side. It's gotten so big that it makes sense that I focus on it full time. Especially with the election coming up (it's a political channel).

After speaking with my father Monday, I took the plunge and gave my boss a resignation letter.

The thing is, now I'm scared. Youtube is doing good, but it goes up and it goes DOWN. Not to mention the constant threat of my channel being taken down by YT because of my political leanings. Part of me is wondering what I'm thinking. It's crazy....But at the same time there is a huge opportunity to excel.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant with my 2nd kid? Oi vey.......Am I a complete idiot?

You are not an idiot.
I was a self employed illustrator for 9 years before going back to work.

There is never any better time to build your own life than NOW. Just like anything worth doing, there will never be enough ducks in a row or harmonious signs to guide you.

If your gut says jump, then do it.

the worst that can happen is that your standard of life goes down to what you can afford. Maybe you wind up behind on some bills, owe the IRS some money, get a crappy credit score...

I'm in the middle of ALL of these, plus other things. The honest truth is that none of this has stopped me from being happy, or damaged me into regrets.

Consider MORE about 'who' you are becoming in this process than 'what' you are trading. Once you get over the fear of the unknown, things feel more manageable. It's not likely that you are too ignorant to manage the challenges that come up. The part of you that evolved into an entreprenure is there for a reason.

-get a network of business friends (from real estate, banking, pest control, anything!)
-find mentors in business and self management
-meet other self-employed people

this new world of yours is NOT new to millions of other people. you are NOT alone and many of us are willing to support and encourage you.

Go for it!
I'll subscribe, too

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

now THAT'S the spirit!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I wanted to respond to this, because I think this might be the best advice on here and didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

if you haven't already and get an attorney on retainer because using content than your own can lead to a legal nightmare. FCC rules pertaining to free use content

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Diversify your revenue stream.

If your a decently popular political youtuber, maybe look into merchandise. Start small, see how things sell. Maybe stream on twitch and/or YT, providing live coverage of something with your take on it (and enable that donation button
) .

Never keep your eggs in the YT basket alone.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

2 pieces of advice:

1. Don't put all your eggs in the YouTube basket. Put your videos on multiple outlets. If I were doing it I would have an offshore website (Iceland is good) and have a copy of all your content there.

2. Figure out how to start an email mailing list. That list is where the gold lies. Have it for no reason that if YouTube takes you down you have a way to tell your followers where else to find you.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I am now subscribed, good luck to you my friend

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

All I can do is give you real advice from experience. Take it or leave it...

I took a 100% risk in my life. I was pretty much suicidal and in a terrible relationship for 12 years. I took a job I really did not want to do yet it lead to an injury causing me to hypnotise someone through a pain relief massage, I revealed that I was profoundly deaf which I hid from employers, got on BBC television, UK newspapers, radio stations, offered ad royalties (turned down £75k because it didnt cure my deafness due to mumps), I was abused sexually, physically, mentally and other stuff... But nobody gives a hoot.

In the end I gained the world and lost it when I tried to leave the terrible relationship and its ruined it now.

Do I regret any of it? Not a single bloody moment, because you feel alive and that is all that matters mate.... GO FOR IT! (No regrets)

Clip from my first theatre show despite every single person I knew telling me it could never be a reality as theres never been a profoundly deaf hypnotist. Feck that crap mate, on yourself!
Honestly, see when you are doing what you love... its true freedom, do not shy away from it, be yourself mate and I really mean it when I say best wishes! (God id, give anything to be back on stage but I am never free from harrassment)

If it fails you tried and you will have absolutely no regrets in the end.

edit on 6-12-2018 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Sounds to me like you’re more passionate about politics than your actual profession?
Ever consider becoming a politician?

I’m just worried that youtube moneys are going to fade.

I’m in IT myself but my job stays interesting and I keep growing.
I would find a youtube gig extremely boaring.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
I'm an IT guy and have been working at a small shop for over 5 years now. My boss is also my "friend", although things have become strained between us over the years. The thing is, he pays me good. Probably better than I'll be able to get anywhere else. However, I have also been running a successful Youtube channel on the side. It's gotten so big that it makes sense that I focus on it full time. Especially with the election coming up (it's a political channel).

After speaking with my father Monday, I took the plunge and gave my boss a resignation letter.

The thing is, now I'm scared. Youtube is doing good, but it goes up and it goes DOWN. Not to mention the constant threat of my channel being taken down by YT because of my political leanings. Part of me is wondering what I'm thinking. It's crazy....But at the same time there is a huge opportunity to excel.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant with my 2nd kid? Oi vey.......Am I a complete idiot?

The smart play would be to keep doing it on the side. Risks like that are all well and good when you don't have a family relying on you, but when you head your own household it is worth sacrificing your own desires.

If you really think the YouTube channel will pan out, then great! But get yourself a solid backup. Make sure your friend will hire you back if need be, or make yourself stand out. IT is a solid trade, but IT guys come a dime a dozen anymore.

Political channels are so fragile that it's unwise to stake your family's well-being on it. If you are just set on that route, then make an IT channel too. Put out videos for the difficult things that not every IT guy knows. That way if something doesn't work out, then you'll have built a solid tutorial portfolio and might land a really good job with it.

Just my opinion for all it is worth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join