It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving my job of 5 years to do Youtube full time...And I'm scared.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

originally posted by: Plotus
Benefits, ins, unemployment ? You tube is a transient entity.

Well that's another thing. I get no benefits at my current job. The only benefit is that it's close to my house and it's good pay. Other than that. I gets nothing.

So...for 5 years and with a family...you've never gotten nor sought benefits for them? Um...don't know why you haven't...but...not my call.

And now...with an even larger growing family....you're "moving on-and-up"...with no benefits...still...not my call...but...?

I guess they are pretty much the same...but 5+ yrs is a long time to be satisfied with not getting, expecting nor even leaving to go elsewhere where you would be for your family's sake.

Good luck to you......

PS YouTube is a pretty iffy company whatwith new copyright laws internationally kicking in...IMO

you can still buy insurance.

link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

I like the channel. Keep it up and good luck.

link   
If you have media production skills you can become a stringer for news organizations and make commercials as well and even contract off shore accounts.

Online media is yugggeee and every business/corporation wants on the platform of one flavor or another. I started in 05 and never looked back. You can also DIT or work for other media corps or filmmakers.

and if you can write good copy....$$$

Don't put all your eggs in the Vloggers basket...Good luck!

edit on 5-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

So...for 5 years and with a family...you've never gotten nor sought benefits for them? Um...don't know why you haven't...but...not my call.

My wife gets benefits like insurance, so we have been covered. Me leaving doesn't change that. One of the main reasons I'm leaving is because of the lack of any benefits.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Need to take risks in life. Money is eveywhere. If it don't work out. It ain't hard to get a job. Espcially 5 years at the same company followed by a good reference.

Do it

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

It's my belief that the true American dream is to some day work for yourself.

That kind of freedom and self determined success is what can really give you a lot of satisfaction, sense of accomplishment, and feeling of reward.

There is always risk involved at the beginning.

As far as your fear of YouTube, the right leaning channels are what brings in a lot of their viewers, I'd be hard pressed to learn in the future they cull a large part of their viewers.

Their business model relies on content.

The left have massive amounts of outlets to get their fill of content.

The right is more grass roots so to speak on content creation.... IMO.

Good luck, I wish you great success!

Edit: If it isn't too much trouble, think about trying your best to make a Podcast version to diversify and protect your interests. If you can get to the point where you're getting serious traction, get onto other podcasts and get your name out there.
edit on 5-12-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

You better build up a diverse portfolio around it that doesnt inherently depend on it. Youtube decides they dont like you rocking the boat of reality for the plebs, or whatever, and ZAP you're F'd.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

While I don't think YouTube would do something that could damage their stranglehold on the internet video market... I've been surprised before and anticipate I will be again.

I think podcasts are great low overhead content streams people can capitalize on.

I drive a lot for work, and podcasts are a great way for me to get information/entertainment, so it's two birds with one stone.

Chores around or outside the house = podcasts.

Many middle aged people are ditching cable and mainstream sources for more personalized information/entertainment.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

There's an old saying that should be heeded here, "Follow your heart- but take your brain with you!"

Youtube is fickle and the viewers are a finicky lot, so hedge your bets and have a back up plan in place.

You say your wife carries the insurance but also that she is pregnant with your 2nd child. Have you thought of a plan to provide insurance for your family if she is forced to leave her job (complications of pregnancy, loses temper and tells boss to take job and shove it, otherwise unexpected family emergency, etc.)? Do you have a tidy nest egg in case Youtube pulls the rug out from under you or a large portion of your followers move on to the next best thing to hold your family above water until you can find new sources of income?

Not trying to be a downer here. I think it is wonderful that you are following your dreams, but be practical and prepare as best you can for incidents of Murphy's Law just in case!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Benefits, ins, unemployment ? You tube is a transient entity.

This needs repeating. As is all social media!! Googlly is as Googlly does!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You better build up a diverse portfolio around it that doesnt inherently depend on it. Youtube decides they dont like you rocking the boat of reality for the plebs, or whatever, and ZAP you're F'd.

2 years ago they took my channel down for 3 months and when I finally got it back I still had no idea why I lost it in the first place.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

There's an old saying that should be heeded here, "Follow your heart- but take your brain with you!"

Youtube is fickle and the viewers are a finicky lot, so hedge your bets and have a back up plan in place.

You say your wife carries the insurance but also that she is pregnant with your 2nd child. Have you thought of a plan to provide insurance for your family if she is forced to leave her job (complications of pregnancy, loses temper and tells boss to take job and shove it, otherwise unexpected family emergency, etc.)? Do you have a tidy nest egg in case Youtube pulls the rug out from under you or a large portion of your followers move on to the next best thing to hold your family above water until you can find new sources of income?

Not trying to be a downer here. I think it is wonderful that you are following your dreams, but be practical and prepare as best you can for incidents of Murphy's Law just in case!

Absolutely agree with everything here. I do have other plans in the works.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I was going to subscribe ....but I already am!
Nice channel
Good Luck

For your latest video.

edit on 12 5 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
While we're all here..Does anyone know anything about sound? If you watch any of my videos you're going to notice that my voice doesn't sound all that great. I'd really like to get it sounding more professional. Any tips would be highly appreciated!

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
And the mark of the beast was not so much an implant nor a symbol, but a medium..

who'da thunk..

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
While we're all here..Does anyone know anything about sound? If you watch any of my videos you're going to notice that my voice doesn't sound all that great. I'd really like to get it sounding more professional. Any tips would be highly appreciated!

I'm at work so I can't watch any of your videos so i'm not sure exactly what your sound problems are, but these are just some general tips.

Invest in a decent microphone, a condenser mic or something, get a pop filter for it and Use a spectrum analyzer to figure out where your voice is and use an equalizer plugin of some kind to boost the needed frequencies and cut out the low bass and high crackly treble. You can maybe try a compressor plugin if you find it's too quiet but turning up the gain causes static. Also pay attention to the meter when you record. If it goes red. You'll get static. You can always record at a lower gain and make it louder later.

edit on 5/12/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Good luck.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If it don't work out, you could always be a twitch thot, just pay yo taxes!~

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I'm at work so I can't watch any of your videos so i'm not sure exactly what your sound problems are, but these are just some general tips.

Invest in a decent microphone, a condenser mic or something, get a pop filter for it and Use a spectrum analyzer to figure out where your voice is and use an equalizer plugin of some kind to boost the needed frequencies and cut out the low bass and high crackly treble. You can maybe try a compressor plugin if you find it's too quiet but turning up the gain causes static. Also pay attention to the meter when you record. If it goes red. You'll get static. You can always record at a lower gain and make it louder later.

I have the mic and filter. I'm using Audacity to record my audio. I'm using the built in noise reduction and compressor. I just recorded and tried simply lowering the record volume which seems to have improved it a little.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join